Maggie's eye

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maggie's eye

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:53 pm

My sis' lil yorkie service dog Maggie had eye surgery two weeks ago for a corneal ulcer that refused to heal. Cost about $600 she really didn't have (and that was reduced rate!). Now the vet is suggesting another treatment to eliminate a cause and if that doesn't fix the problem she'll have to go to UW Madison to the vets there for eval and treatment. $1000 just to walk in the door to get diagnosed.......and none of us have anywhere near that kind of cash. Meanwhile poor Maggies' eye is very sore, giving her pain we can't relieve. She might go blind in that eye if we can't get it to heal and she'd lose her service dog designation.

You might remember her from the pics I had posted in 2011 of her fetching the huge thanksgiving newspaper......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Re: Maggie's eye

Post by Fire Flower on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Maggie.

I did not know a tiny Yorkie could be a service dog.
Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Oh no! Is it possible to remove the eye and still keep her service dog designation? I know it sounds terrible, but I know several dogs and cats who are fine with only one eye. And, if it resolves her pain and is less expensive, it might be a win-win.

Healing vibes!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:08 pm

I don't think so....she'd lose her depth perception and most likely they wouldn't let her recertify as a service dog. I just don't know how we're going to come up with the money to get her treated. It's a huge expense, but she's worth it. Same as a child to us, would anyone here say no to treating their child if they needed this sort of medical treatment?

Any dog can be a service dog if: they are smart enough to be trained to do at least 3 necessary tasks for you, are calm around other animals and in all types of environments, not easily distracted when they're on duty, and are big enough for the job being asked of them. Maggie is not expected to help pick my sis off the floor or pull a wheelchair for example.

Maggie is a small dog but not too small to pick up dropped silverware, papers, etc., bring a medicine kit, the phone, a bottle of water, pillow, blanket, alert you to visitors at the door, or the mailman. We tried teaching her to load the dishwasher but she only got the dishes as far as the dishwasher door, not in the rack. Remember, she brought in a 5# thanksgiving newspaper one year that made the newspaper photo story on bringing it in. Brought it to my sis in sections yes, but she did bring that paper in. My sis has had surgery on both hands and fusion surgery in her lower back so has limitations that Maggie helps with.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm

The surgery on Maggies' eye didn't work. That ulcer still won't heal. Now looking at more surgery to try to save her site. Sis was going to put up a crowdfunding page for Maggie. This is going to be VERY expensive but she says Maggie is worth it and not just because she's a service dog.

Wish us luck!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:03 pm

<<<>>> Sad Share the crowd funding site when it's set up, please.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:50 am

Have to get ahold of my sis to find out what the addy is. Hard to catch her at home. Will let you know....
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Finally got that addy for you. Hope this works:
http://www.gofundme.com/wa2xayc

The picture doesn't do it justice, it looked much worse in person, especially when both eyes were bad. My sis is so far in the hole it isn't funny. Really bad thing is this condition is hereditary so it could come back again at any point in the future.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Fingers crossed that it all works out and the condition gets controlled.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:58 am

So far so good. The cone is off and the eye looks much better. We think her sight is undamaged this time.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Smile I love you
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:47 pm

So far so good, the eye is continuing to improve and Maggie is so much happier. I love you
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum