home again home again

Page 34 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Re: home again home again

Post by bpaquet on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh yeah. Saddlebreds. Hadn't thought about them. Maybe I'll visit the TB place near here. I would love to see some ponies and how they run things anyway.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Enjoy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 pm

It's NASTY out there. Single digits and breezy, and now they say that we'll be getting some of that awful white stuff. I have moved the water tub to the pasture behind the barn, and will leave the barn open while I'm at the office tomorrow. I don't worry so much about the temps since the horses have their blankets on and their hay is in nets up off the ground. But, the water in their stalls freezes so quickly in this weather. We need the heated tub.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 pm

It's the same here.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm

It's blizzard weather out there. Snow coming down like crazy, and WIND. Horses are tucked in and have access to the heated tub if they want to leave their stalls. It's not as cold today, so their stall buckets are still good. They seem happy to hide in their stalls and munch on hay. I don't blame them. No fun out there.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 pm

I spoke with my sister in law in Delaware, they're hunkering down too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 pm

8 inches of snow and crazy wind. We have some impressive drifts. The horses were BAD.

I rigged up the barn aisle so they could use stalls as a run-in and their hay would be out of the weather. Well... Mazel is an escape artist and took down the aisle blocks so she could go out. In the wind and snow, the horses went 1.5 miles down the neighborhood street to the busy road that was getting plowed. Thank goodness for nice neighbors. They bundled up, brought some belts, and caught the horses in someone else's front yard. We came with the truck and my husband started walking them home. I drove back home, parked the truck, and walked to meet him to help lead. Driving was not much fun even with the big diesel 4-wheel drive, and walking was absolutely no more fun.

We put the horses into their stalls until the worst of the snow stopped, then out they went to the pasture. They have their blankets on, so they will be dry and warm. Envoy seemed very happy to be home.

If we ever need to use the barn for run-in again, we'll park the truck in the aisle. The space between the truck and the walls is too small for a horse to fit. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:42 pm

My jaw just dropped. I've had a few escape artists in my time but nobody in that league. I'm thankful everybody is back safe. What wonderful neighbors.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm

No excitement today. It was REALLY cold, and I think that keeps them a bit more sedate. They didn't even eat all their hay. It isn't the snotty, galloping cold. It's downright arctic.

I had to leave the barn gate open so they could get to the heated water tub tonight. The stall buckets were almost frozen solid (5 gallons of water each). So, we pulled the truck into the barn aisle to back up the aisle blocks. At last check, they were standing in their stalls sound asleep. They can't squeeze by the truck since I can barely fit, so I think they'll be fine. I will have to pull the truck out to fill hay nets in the morning. Thank goodness this garbage is supposed to go away in a couple days. This Southern girl HATES winter.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 am

That's good. I think there has been way too much excitement in your patch this winter.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am

Truck worked a treat. They pulled down the tapes we put across the aisle, and got to a bale of hay in one of the storage stalls. No big deal. They just pulled it over the stall door, and were happily munching. At least they ate. Of course, they made an unholy mess in the aisle, but that's expected. Tonight will be just as cold, so we'll use the truck cork again and pull it up a bit more to keep them from getting into mischief. I'll put a bale out for them to share on the stall floors since they seem to be happy that way. A little in the nets. More on the floor. As long as they eat and drink, all will be good.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Glad it worked and I know what the aisle looked like. Look at this way you'll burn off the holiday calories cleaning the aisle way.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:33 pm

2.5 hours of stall and aisle cleaning. Good news is that I drained the hose well enough to fill up the heated tub. Otherwise, I'd be out schlepping buckets. YUCK. The pump on the south-facing wall of the barn is genius. The sun heats it enough to keep it from freezing up even though it was 15 degrees when I decided to try to fill the tub. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 pm

My body started ache just reading that. Go make a nice cuppa and rope it. Any idea when this will break?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 am

Supposedly tomorrow night will be in the 20s, which seems like bikini weather compared to 8 (or lower) tonight.

I caught Envoy playing with the ropes across the aisle tonight. I gave him a stern talking to, and he rolled his eyes at me. Maybe the escape artist is the home boy. No matter though... The truck is in place and pulled in farther to protect the hay stall.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 am

That's the magic. The troublemaker pony got the ropes down, but had to behave because the big truck was blocking all mischief. The aisle isn't nearly as messy (1 pile of manure waiting to be picked). The stalls, however, are a disaster. Oh well... Life on the farm.

It's a glorious 3 degrees outside right now. I think I'll wait until it's in the warmer 20s before I go out to deal with the mess. The horses have extra hay and are out munching. No rush.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Maybe his guest is bringing out the bad boy in him.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Finally got the blankets off the horses. It got to about 40 degrees, so even with the snow on the ground, it was warm enough that they got to roll around. Fortunately, we don't have mud yet. Still quite a bit of snow on the ground. But, it's sprinkling rain now. How long until the sea of mud?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Soon, I think.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm

There are still a couple inches of snow out there. It isn't melting fast enough. The horses don't care though. They were just happy to be naked. They ate better than they have for a while.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 am

Oh, mud, how I've missed thee! It's 65 degrees, and the mud is here. All the melted snow is sitting in huge puddles, and everywhere horses walk turns into churned black mess. I don't care! It's not below freezing and white outside. Smile

Mazel is somehow staying pretty clean. I guess it's a bit too soggy for a good roll. Unfortunately for her (fortunately for me?) it's supposed to get REALLY cold again by Sunday, so she might just have to content herself with tree scratches.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm

More snow. Boo hiss! The horses were out all day, and the hair on their ears was starting to freeze. Needless to say, they're in munching hay now. Their blankets look soaked, but they're dry underneath. Phew!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

JEEZ!! As long as they are dry underneath.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm

The forecast said 1-3 inches. We're at about 4 now. Sigh... About 2 hours to go until predicted end. I hope it all melts tomorrow when it's supposed to be sunny and 40 degrees. I want to take those blankets off so they can air out on a fence.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm

That's depressing. I'm beginning to wish I had bought an electric blanket or throw. I wonder if I can still find one.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum