Crisis...anyone?

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crisis...anyone?

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:13 pm

My mom seems very depressed...her friend across the hall Donna said she seemed suicidal (about finances). When she asked her what was wrong she mumbled something about the damned government screwing her over.
They stopped the program that helped her pay her medicare premium since she's so low income. I estimate her premium will take 18% of her income, PLUS her copays for the 14 meds she's on is set to double again. LIHEAP finally showed up after waiting for 3 months and it's half of what we were expecting (state cutbacks). Then they send her forms to fill out that says 'for payment of medicare, prescription, copays, etc. bills' yet also says it's not an application for a medical card, food stamps, or cash assistance. Neither of us knows quite what it is as there is no letter of explanation to clue us in......and her building hasn't had a social worker to translate this stuff for them in over a year.
I can't help her financially....I try translating this stuff but some of it is beyond me too. HOW do I help her not be so depressed? She won't see a doctor or therapist since it costs too much. Ideas?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:14 am

Call a therapist right away. A good one will probably give her some help pro bono. Financial stress is one of the biggest triggers for depression. Whatever you do, get her to talk to someone. Worse to worst, take her to the emergency room. To hell with money.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:28 am

Wise words.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:11 am

Fiff, if you get a chance to check in, let us know how things are going. The holidays are always a tough time to deal with depression -- whether it's yours or a loved one's.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:45 pm

I've been busy packing, and trying to sort this out for mom. She got a Social Security Benefits letter in the mail testerday (nearly a month early!). Doesn't show any premiums being deducted from her check...yet we still have that letter saying it will be deducted. Her rent is calculated from the amount listed on the benefit letter....not the one telling her she's going to get charged premiums. Nearly a $200 difference...so a big deal to us. Building manager said to "wait and see"......ie: code for you're going to get overcharged for January rent, which is automatically taken from the bank account, before we see what you get for January income.

Found links and downloaded forms for applying for food stamps, Medicaid, and maybe reinstating the Extra Help to pay for that expensive premium. There isn't much we can do about the doubling of the copays on the meds.

Mom said if it wasn't for Bij and me she'd take all the prescription meds for the month all at once...... See how my sis fits into all this?

Our government literally doesn't know right hand from left hand. Neither knows what the other is doing!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Fif, pack up all your Mom's meds and leave only enough for the day.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Can't....she has a 3 month supply and it's stored all over the place. She has promised not to hurt herself since Bij needs her and if something happened to her I can't take him yet and my sis would NOT take good care of him. She also knows I still need her too and I do give a damn, unlike my sis who seems not to care much what happens to either of us.

We also have some hope: I found an application for help paying her premium. Seems the program she was on was good for only so many years and you have to reapply for "Round Two". We'll see how that goes.
Got an application for food stamps too....she won't get what they screwed her out of (nearly a years worth!) but should get them again soon. Every little bit helps.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:33 pm

hope everything is okay, Fif.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Most definitely. Food stamps are indispensable. I'm so glad you found the application for the premium help. Is that something with the ACA now?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

I think the ACA is why they stopped the program....and so many people are asking for help they started up Round Two.
The food stamp fiasco is solely on the workers in the Rockford office, mom did nothing wrong (the woman she talked to said so but was not allowed to intervene and reinstate them)....they dropped the ball and my mom did without. They screwed up and now are getting away with it. &^%$@!!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Okay, leave this morning for brunch service.  Leave three bowls of food, actually two and a half.   Come back a little after eleven there are still two bowls of food, full bowls mind you.  They had knocked  over the bag of food and helped themselves.  To add insult to injury somebody and I think it was Drill found the bag of wine corks that I had for recycle.  I'm still finding wine corks.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Ack! That reminds me of Bingo's great tomato adventure. He grabbed a container of grape tomatoes, and scattered them everywhere. We found loose ones everywhere for almost a week. (Not very pretty at the end.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:12 pm

ACK!! I can imagine.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:15 pm

I bet Drillbit thought those corks were wonderful toys! They roll, but not too predictably. It's a wonder they could play at all....stuffed as they were from helping themselves to the entire bag like they did! Naughty kitties.

Mom was panicking this morning: needing paperwork for the license plate renewal, plus more certifications for foodstamps/Medicaid, AND a letter from social security so they'll adjust her rent. She's getting charged too much and the premium is being taken out so about 40% of her income is gone before she sees what's left!
I was on the phone playing tag and pass the caller with these people all morning long.

Pretty bad when it takes 2 people over 1/2 hour of dialing and redialing to get it to ring instead of a busy signal.....and that was just for one of those offices I had to deal with.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:12 am

I was just informed 5 minutes ago by my mechanic that I don't have a car anymore. The rear suspension is rusted through and broken.....no way to fix it. And the podiatrist cut on my foot yesterday so it's sore as hell again. I have to walk home in the snow today in subzero temps....and subzero all week long.

How am I supposed to move with no car? Some of those boxes are too heavy to haul 1 mile to the new storage garage IF mom ever gets around to signing the contract to get it in the first place. I may not be moving after all. Sad
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:35 am

Ugh! What a PIA!

Seriously though... Call the Salvation Army. Not only can they probably help you move, they might have access to a donated car. Call them as soon as possible about the car. Explain your situation, and maybe offer a couple hours of help. Wink
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:03 pm

It's an idea, the closest one in IL is in Rockford though....at least 20 miles away. I know the one in Beloit WI won't help an IL resident even if I am only 4 miles away.

Called mom, had all I could do not to tell her she's procrastinated us right onto the street with no way to get anywhere. She's the one looking for another vehicle for us for the past year. I don't think she's looked all that much. I've tried by giving her plenty of leads and places to call only to have her not follow through. She has the money, I don't. Now we have no way to even go look at vehicles. And she has a dr. appointment on Wednesday and no way to get there now. Good thing I saw my podiatrist yesterday....that was 31 miles roundtrip.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:52 pm

This might get your Mom off her butt. Try the Salvation Army like Becky says.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:24 am

20 miles isn't that much. Our SA goes all over the tri-county area, and that spans about 75 miles. Call the one in Rockford. They are in the business of helping. They will be happy to help, and even happier if you can help them even in small ways. (Maybe making some crocheted things for their clients?)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:28 am

Becky's right. Go for it.

Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

My mechanic is going to call a few car seller friends of his and see if they have anything like we've been looking for. I can tell he feels bad that this happened to us now with the weather we have. I was limping when I saw him on Saturday.

gotta look up the number for the Salvation army in Rockford....meanwhile, from all the bike riding my knees are pretty well shot, my back is a mess, and my fingers hurt a lot half the time from the cold. Frostbite aftermath and diminished circulation: not a good thing when you're out in the cold like I am now.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Found my lost shoe. Glad I did because I had a memorial service to go too yesterday.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Ugh! My fingers hurt like crazy when my hands are cold. I hope you find a car soon.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 pm

So do I. Walked today since my butt couldn't bear the thought of being on the bike. It was snowing anyway so slippery out, couldn't see with wet glasses. Still no leads on a car. Everybody the mechanic knows is on vacation in Florida until the end of the month. I need groceries, meds, water......and a huge break from walking/riding.

Sue, where was your other shoe BTW? Just curious where Drillbit hid it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 pm

I found it so far under the bed I had to get the longest set of tongs we owned from the Lair.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum