Everyone is home

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Everyone is home

Post by fiffur on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Shaking like a wet dog.....that sight never grows old.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:16 am

It's cold again today, and it's vet day. The horses are all naked so she can put eyes on them when she does the general checkup stuff before shots. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow, so I'm wondering if they really NEED their blankets. I guess I'll keep an eye on them to see if they start acting chilly. They are much better adapted to cold than we are!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:47 am

Poor Kina is a bit underweight. The vet thinks it's probably because she doesn't process her food as well as younger horses, so she's on increased rations, and should have her blanket a bit sooner than the others. If she doesn't have to expend energy staying warm, she can use it to gain weight. She also got pretty sore from her shots. The vaccines this year did not come in a combined 5-way form. There was a 3-way (rhino, flu, Eastern and Western Encephalitis), a Potomac Horse Fever, and a West Nile shot. So, she got jabbed 3 times. She is fine, but her neck seems a big stiff. (Horses get their shots a little above where their necks meet their shoulders.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Poor Kina....I can sympathize with her (I don't like needles either, the fewer the better). I hope she puts on the weight before winter really sets in. Is she going to be getting stuff like warm mashes too for extra calories? You know, warm on the outside from the blanket, warm on the inside from the food.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 am

We are trying all kinds of combinations of things. Next (and dreadfully expensive) thing is different hay. I'm trying to hold out until Cree goes to his new house so I don't have to buy as much. She is getting rice bran (high fat), alfalfa pellets (protein and carbs), and good balanced extruded feed pellets. I don't want to load up too much on the "grain" because that can cause problems. So, we're upping the alfalfa because that's safest. She seems to love it. With that in mind, I think I'm going to buy some nice, soft alfalfa and orchard grass hay from out west. That will give her the fiber and calories she seems to need.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I had a very nice therapy ride with Envoy today. We did lots of trotting in nice BIG curves and straight lines, we also did transitions between walk and trot and stop and trot. It's been a long time since we worked on these things, so we're starting slowly. He did great. Getting sounder. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

That's great Becky.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Glad you had a nice ride...the crappy weather is coming.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah. Kina and I rode today. She had a spook when a log truck knocked over the stop sign across the street. We used it as inspiration for trot work. We would have kept canter/galloping, except it is kind of slippery because it rained last night. Wednesday looks pretty miserable. Nor'easter on the way. Sigh...
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Ah, same crap that blew through here yesterday. The snow was literally coming at you sideways. Wind so stiff it would either knock you off your feet or if you're really drunk, hold you upright!

It's definitely blanket weather for everyone!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Nope. This is an Atlantic storm that is deciding to follow the coastline. Looks like we won't get snow this far south, but DC might be in for it. (Can't think of a more deserving place. Unfortunately, the people who give it a bad reputation are all on vacation in their home states!)

The horses look a bit crabby in the back pasture. I think the dreary and rapidly chilling weather has them in a bad mood. I was going to ride Envoy today, but since it rained again last night, the front pasture is really slick. Can't risk another injury at this point. I'm hoping my friend and I can take a road ride on Thursday while the turkey cooks.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 pm

With dreary weather like that I don't blame them for being crabby...it has the same effect on me too.

Hoping the weather tomorrow is nice enough for you to enjoy a relaxing ride!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Today's weather is typical wet, cold winter. The wind is gusting out of the north, and the rain has been pretty consistent all day. The horses have spent almost all day inside. I dressed them up for a couple hours and turned them out in the weather so I could clean. They were more than ready to come in when I was done. Tomorrow looks like a big cleaning day. Not sure if riding will actually be on the agenda.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:23 pm

I saw a photo of the storm system on the NASA Goddard page. It's huge.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:17 am

Drizzling for the end of the storm. Yuck. The kids have sheets on, and are out to enjoy the mud. Poor Cree's rear is sticking out of the sheet I have. He's much longer than Casper was. His new mom has said she will buy one that fits. They aren't too expensive.

Everyone got carrots for breakfast to celebrate the day. Smile They wish they could be thankful for the weather.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:50 pm

They could be thankful it wasn't snow.....we got flits of that off/on all day yesterday here.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:13 pm

They are very happy that the sun is out today. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Envoy and I had a very nice ride yesterday. We're very wet, so we didn't do a lot in the pasture. Some short trots in the drier areas. We did ride down the road for a little way. Unfortunately, we had to turn around so we could get home before the sun set. My brave pony was fine going out by himself. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Glad to hear that, he's turning out to be a very good pony.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 pm

I think Cree will go to his new house this weekend. The farrier comes tomorrow, and his new people will come to meet and watch. I will miss the big lug.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Cree went to his new house today. He was so happy with his little girl. I am kind of sad that he's not in the pasture any more, but I know he went to a great place. I hope he gets along okay with the cows. Once he gets used to his new horse friends, he will go in the pasture with them. He will have a blind horse friend. I'm sure he will help take care of him.

I go to his new house tomorrow to bring a few things I forgot to give his new people. I get to visit with him a little. I'll bring some carrots!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm

That's great Becky. I hope it all works out too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:44 pm

I hope it all works out too....I'm sure Cree will like seeing you and getting the carrots.
Please give us updates as you get them. I'm curious to see how he gets along with the new herdmates, especially the blind one.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:23 pm

He seems quite happy at his new place. He is completely unfazed by the cows. (Who knew that cows are scared of horses???) He has also befriended the mini horse. She wants to have his babies. Hmm... They might need to be apart for a while so things don't get crazy. Smile He has also sniffed the other horses. The people are going to start introducing slowly. If all goes well with one introduction, he will get more herd mates. The people plan to take a long time with introductions to the blind horse who seems fine with the whole idea.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:14 pm

That's great Becky. As to the mini scratch
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down