BIJOUX

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: BIJOUX

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:33 pm

It's not just ingrown...it's a mutated malformed hair from a mutated follicle.  Called a hyper-keratinized hair.  Considered a precancerous condition....could turn to cancer if left alone.   He's been treated for it three times already; the only treatment is surgical removal of the affected hair follicles and once you get one you tend to develop more, which is the case here.

We carefully pulled out the malformed hair (got nearly all of the root of it too) and it's being sent for pathology tests.  I actually assisted the vet in doing that.  There was enough live tissue from the root of the hair still attached for DNA testing (my idea and the vet said it was a good one); we'll see if it's cancer or not.  That will determine how much tissue will have to be removed from around the follicle. The lump I was feeling under it was the rest of the mutated hair that was so big it couldn't come out no matter how long the hair grew.  It was really wide too, about 4cm, much wider than a normal hair but coming from what looks like a normal follicle and 4/5 of it's length was under the skin.  Must've been painful; no wonder he wouldn't lie on that side to nap and mewed if it was touched.  It was hard as a rock except for the very root of it and pointy too.  It will grow back unfortunately and when it does the entire hair follicle will have to be surgically removed.  That will be the 4th time he's had to have that done in various spots.  Poor baby.  And to think he just had his 14th birthday Tuesday.

He's also showing  the beginning signs of some retinal degeneration...will eventually be mostly blind.  His irises are somehow shrinking too.  The vet showed me what he was seeing, there was no mistaking it.  We're all hoping it progresses very slowly and he'll have more than light/shadow vision when he crosses the bridge.  Very similar to what's happening with my retinas, which show the beginnings of thinning (leads to macular degeneration and blindness). Vet commented on how much Bijoux trusts us and the great care we give him.  I guess the average client he has doesn't do what we do for Bijoux.  He knows we'll do whatever is necessary to help him adapt to whatever changes old age brings him and pay for whatever treatment he needs no matter how much it beggers us to do it.

Bij was soooo good for the vet and us.  Only growled once during all that manipulating of his skin getting that hair out.  I know it had to have hurt a bit while we were doing that.  Didn't even move for the vaccination he got.  Totally forgave us right away too.  I think he felt better already having that huge lumpy pointy hair gone.  We both got kisses, purrs, and snuggles.  Of course he got extra crunchies and a big dinner as apology from us too.  After his dinner though Bij retreated to the dark bedroom.  Mom had too many lights on and with his irises and retinas showing degeneration I imagine the light was a bit too bright and hurt.  I know the feeling, I'm the same way with full sunshine.

Hoping to get some snuggles in tonight from my sweet boy.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Awww... Poor Bij! I wonder if his condition is related to Sabi's original hoof problem. It was a tumor made out of hoof keratin that grew inside his hoof wall. I think the eye condition isn't terribly uncommon in older kitties. Shadow had it, and had most of her sight all of her life. It progressed very slowly.

I know Bij will do great with you watching over him. He's in good hands.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:36 pm

I agree with what Becky said.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 pm

I hope so for his visions' sake. While mom doesn't move the furniture around the boxes and other crap that's all over from time to time could be a hazard. I found another of those mutated hairs on the opposite side....showed mom and she tried to trim the hair around it so we could find it easier.  Ended up pulling a bit out instead since he wouldn't sit still and she was afraid she'd poke him with the scissors.  Vet's not in today but is tomorrow so most likely he'll be going in for a quick look-see.  It's a lot smaller than the one we extracted and not much of a lump under it either; it only bothers him if you directly mess with it.  Hopefully the pathology results on the other one will be in by tomorrow too so we can plan our strategy.

Got a nice greeting yesterday at the door.  Little guy was waiting for me.   Very Happy   HUGE purrs and kisses.   Smitten   Then Bij pretty much demanded mom lay down for a while.  Cute how he does that: he'll get in her chair with her still in it, peek his head under her arm (so it's in the way of practically everything including reading, eating, etc.), and talk to her.  If that doesn't work he wiggles his way under her arm onto her lap and gets in her face and mews again.  When Bij makes up his mind his peoples need to rest he won't take no for an answer!  So mom lay down, got a short cuddle, and a request for dinner.  No dice.  A tad miffed he gave up and had crunchies.   Didn't hold it against me though, I got some more cuddles.  That's when I found that hair...he wasn't thrilled with mom messing with it.   Left me to prewarm the couch.  At least he purred and gave me nitenite kisses so I think all is forgiven again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Keep us posted.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Definitely. Hugs to Bij and you too.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm

It's not cancer.
The vet said it's a mutated ingrown hair. I told him it looks nothing like the ingrown hairs I get from shaving my legs. We found not only that one but two more while in the exam room. Vet showed us how to squeeze them out and get the entire root.....so no surgery unless we get one that won't come out or Bij won't let us or he gets so many we can't keep up with them all. Mom said he's trying to mutate into a hedgehog lookalike. Bij was not happy about having those hairs squeezed out from under (good thing he has loose skin, that makes it easier). I suggested taking him for ice cream but mom said he doesn't like cold stuff. So I tried plain greek yogurt with a bit of sugar added (since he has a sweet tooth) as a treat to reward him for being so good about all this.....he snubbed it. At least he forgave us both quickly for our role in his 'torture' at the vets office. Bij got to go out and be loved on by Brad and Donna again, we took him out as a reward for being good for the vet. And later I gave him an extra big dinner, hugs, kisses, rocking, and a nice gentle massage. Got nitenite kisses too.  Very Happy 

From now on mom has to give his tummy a good once over every few weeks since he won't let me rub his belly and if we find one of those mutated hairs, she holds him and I squeeze it out from under as gently as I can.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Phew! Good, boy, Bij. Glad you are alright even if your people keep foiling your attempts to hide in a hedgehog costume. Smile

My kitties prefer their yogurt plain. The only one who would eat the sweet stuff was Shadow, and she liked the flavored kind too.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:22 pm

That's good to hear. Bijoux, cooperate with your Meowmy and
Tia. They only want what's best for you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:13 am

I tried the yogurt plain first and when he snubbed it, added the sugar. Still snubbed it.

I'm hoping he doesn't develop any more of those mutated ingrown hairs. 4 is enough to keep us busy.
Bij was in the window when I got there last night, watching the birds. I opened the baggie with the salmon and waved it under his nose. "If you want some come see me"......I didn't even get to sit down before he was there asking for it.  Laughing  But cupboard love only lasts so long....then mom got a snuggle. HUH? Where's my snuggle in thanks for bringing him some of my dinner? Bij only gave me lovin' when I insisted on it and went after him to get it. Then he was all purrs, for all of maybe 5-10 minutes the snuggle lasted. I did get a request for dinner though and I gave it to him. VERY brief thank you before mom got more attention.

Guess I should've rubbed that salmon behind my ears, huh?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Ha! Glad you didn't do that. Can you imagine the smell in your hair.?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:44 pm

You know the only time Antonio kisses me is on Saturday when I came in reeking of bacon.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Bacon was Shadow's FAVORITE food.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I have a feeling I'll have a velcrokitty tonight. Mom's pneumatic flush toilet quit working (the cartridge needs changed again) so of course she's panicking about cleaning up the place. Sooooo......no tv, no kitty cuddles, nothing. I did take a short break to give Bij some rocking after he came up to me and pawed my arm, mewed, and went to his water dish. Very low so refilled it for a thirsty kitty. Nice purrs in thanks for that. Got him his dinner too with a very short wetfood revue show. Mom was leaving for Donnas' when I was leaving for home with a carful of empty boxes (we have to save those!) for the garage.

Mom seems to think the garage is the Tardis. I wish it was.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Heehe. Tardis... I thought my white barn was it.  Laughing 
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:28 pm

My apartment. I've really got to start clearing some of this stuff.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:57 pm

That's my goal....thin and purge before I move.

Velcrokitty, yes. As soon as I came in I got a nice greeting. Bij saw me fill the feeder (cat tv) and was waiting for me, all purrs. Instant snuggles! I think he missed me. I'd already had dinner so didn't have to disturb him to go eat. He however left long enough to eat some crunchies and came right back for more cuddles. While he was busy eating I fixed two pairs of pants for Renee's son (popped the waistband buttons when he sneezed). Good timing Bij. Wetfood revue found him going between the both of us, staring, mewing, run-by kisses, etc. Dinner must've been good....he left, got halfway across the livingroom, then turned around and ate some more. hehehehehe Rocked him but got no burp, then off to the cuddlebed next to me. Asked for a walker ride when he finished his nap, and mom and Bij came back just as I was leaving (it took me that long to bundle up for heading out--stupid winter weather). No kisses nitenite for me....I was snubbed.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 pm

I'll give you Kitteh Kisses, Tia Fif. Tonio  
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Us too!

Mouski, GK, Gateway cat 
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

I sure could use them!
Saturday I didn't get much in the way of kisses or cuddles beyond hello. Sunday mom kept me so busy cleaning I barely got time to get cuddles in but Bij sure wanted them. Last night I only got a few cuddles, the wetfood revue started very early and after he got dinner, he disappeared into the bedroom. At least he purred and kissed me nitenite, knowing full well I was going home but kissed me anyway.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 am

I got a nice greeting....in the window. Mom and Bij watched me fill the seed feeder and put out the new mealworm feeder for the birds. Bij was all purrs for me and gave me some snuggles too, along with a few kisses. Not a long cuddle though, he was intent on staying underfoot for mom. Had to insist on more cuddles to get them. Dinnertime though found Bij dancing around asking both of us...mom got it but I got the thankyous! During the kissing phase of thankyou I gave his belly a good once-over rubbing along with the rest of him (good way to hide checking for more of those weird hairs). Then he settled in to purr for me in my lap (and a nice big burp too!). Snoozed a bit, then shifted to the cuddlebed next to me. At least getting nitenite kisses wasn't snubbed.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 pm

I cannot bear to put out a mealworm feeder. I practically gag just seeing them at the store.   Urp
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:35 pm

I know. GROSS! Urp 
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Yup. I bought some a couple years ago and none of the birds ate them. They grossed me out, and were failures. So, out they went. YUCK
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Well, they seem to be hit here. There are no bugs out yet but we suspect babies are hatching (it was moms' idea--they're freezedried so no wriggling). Bij and I watched 4 wrens yesterday fighting over a worm....one wren got it out of the feeder and the other 3 decided they wanted to steal it. I'd never seen 4 quabbling all at the same time. Reminded me of a schoolyard fight.

Got a nice greeting at the door too....Bij was all purrs and mews for me. Kisses too. Mom was gone so I had him all to myself for a while so scooped the litterpan, refilled the water, and went birdwatching. But when mom came back, then left again, he left me to go sit by the door and wait for her to return. No amount of begging could make him come back to snuggle with me. Even if I went to go get him he'd leave again. But dinnertime was a different story....mom was still gone, and I got a very loud mew with a paw on my arm. Lil guy acted like he was starving. No sooner would he leave the kitchen he'd turn around and go back to the bowl.....4 times!  Laughing  Nice long thankyou snuggle though, with a burp. Mom finally came back, he tried to snuggle with her, she pushed him off, so onto the back of the couch. Still there watching over mom when I left so no nitenite kisses for me.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum