Poor thing.

I hope he feels better.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Re: BobCat & Co.

Post by jimkr2t on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Oh, I remember when one of my cats had some of those "anal problems" herself - I hope you feel better now that it's over!

Caddy Jim Rolling Eyes and Tat cat
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Those damned anal glands have been the bane of my existence since I became a dog mom. I won't tell you my horror stories, but believe me, I feel for you. I have learned to specifically ask the vet and/or groomer to check and express them at every single visit. Some breeds are prone to probs but, in my experience, it never hurts to check any dog. It's kinda like what The Queen says about never passing up a chance to go to the bathroom.

I hope poor Argo is feeling better soon!!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks, everyone. I just hate to see him hurting. He's pretty quiet now, after a shot of pain medication. Fingers crossed that he leaves the area alone so it can heal.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Oh! Poor Argo. Shadow had the kitty version of that problem. The vet offered to show us how to check/express the glands, but I just could never get it quite right. I would just bring her in for a check every month, which seemed to be enough for her. She was happy as long as things were happy "down there."

Speedy recovery, Argo!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 am

The vet showed Wesley how to do it, and he has done it for Lyra, who lets us know there's trouble back there by scooting. Argo never gave us a clue that there was a problem until it was a huge issue and he started gnawing at his tail. Now that we know, Wesley can just keep a schedule of clearing them, since Argo doesn't let us know until it's too late. If it becomes a big problem, then I guess they can remove the glands surgically. My gag reflex would prevent me from being an effective nurse for this problem...

Think it's a good thing I never had kids?? pale Urp ROTFL
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Probably, which is a good reason why I didn't have any kids either. It was hard enough dealing with the aftermath when Miss Kitty had the same problem.

Poor Argo! I know what he's going through, my Miss Kitty had that happen a few times but was too old for removal surgery. Some furkids just get those darned glands impacted so they abscess and burst. Is Argo on pills and direct topicals as well a half a baby aspirin? That's what cleared up the burst abscess for my Miss Kitty in a hurry.

If monthly expressing doesn't help enough, you may have to resort to surgery before they get past 5 years old.

(((((((((((((((((((((((strong healing vibes)))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks. Argo is on antibiotics as well as a pain medication, and we'll take him back in a week for a follow up. I just feel so bad for him. As I said, he's a sensitive little guy, and when he's sad or hurting, it really shows in his eyes. They don't turn 3 until late August, so we'll just keep watching him more closely once this crisis passes, and hopefully it won't be a big problem. If it becomes one, we'll definitely let them do the surgery and be done with it.

We took Lyra along to the vet last night because she had been biting at her right front pad, and that turned out to be nothing more than a tiny cut that was healing nicely, so she charmed the ladies at the vet's office until Argo was finished. She was shaky when they looked at her, and she definitely showed a lot of concern for her brother in the other room, which got her plenty of attention and sympathy of her own.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

She was probably hoping that never happens to her...! No
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 pm

o argo......it sounds weird, but i've had something similar four times myself....not a 'gland' but an abcess. i probably would have been biting my tail as well!
glad to hear things are going better though.
as for the expressing...i remember someone saying that they used to do it after they gave their pooch a bath...while they were still in the tub or sink or whatever.maybe it softened the glans up and made it easier to do? sorry but i don't know if i'd be able to do it either.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I remember being told it really smells bad when you express those glands. Miss Kitty's took turns abscessing, first one side, then then other would burst. After the 3rd time I recognized the very subtle clues that it was abscessing and took her in to have it lanced and drained (much less painful) before it burst. I really hope Argo and Lyra don't have to go through that, that this doesn't happen again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 pm

A few years back, our cat Ollie became ill. He had infected anal glands, but we didn't know that. On the way to the vet, he managed to express them himself. (Thank god for a good solid carrier--eww!). The vet drained the glands the rest of the way, but after that they just kept running for several days. We had to keep Ollie in a carrier, shower off his butt a couple of times a day, and let him out to use the litterbox every so often. (He was a big boy--couldn't use the little boxes that fit into a carrier.) Since then all kinds of "expert" people have tried to convince me that he was not having anal gland trouble, as that's extremely rare in cats. I'm here to tell you that Ollie was "special" in that way. Urp
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

well that's part of what ms puff had a few months back. part of it was because of her butt fur because she's a maine coon. the matted (?)butt fur and the glands got her very sick. i don't get to see her too often (can't go in that part of the house cuz the dogs bark and everyone freaks and yells) but she seemed fine the last time i was able to reach over the fence gate and pet her.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Really? The gland thing is rare in cats? I've known several cats who had issues. Weird. I guess I just know rare cats. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I can't believe how pink Argo's little bottom is without fur! Embarassed He's doing much better now, and the wound is healing well. Thanks for the good thoughts for him!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:34 pm

aren't all critters needless of their fur color pink or white under it all? I know Toothpick has a very pink belly cuz he's always licking the fur off!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Glad to hear your boy is doing better. Poor guy. Give Argo a hug for me.
Tonio has pink tummy skin.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:17 am

My kitties are all pink under their fur. But, horses are generally black. You can see where X has pink socks on his legs and a couple pink spots on his body, but his skin is mostly black.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 am

Yeah, I was told the same thing about it being somewhat common in dogs but not cats. I beg to differ on that.
((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))) for Argo's lil bottom.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Argo got a clean bill of health from the vet, so now we just wait for the fur to grow back. They're both having a little on and off bouts with diarrhea but it is probably due to the heat, and it isn't real bad. None of that is easy with long haired white dogs though. Urp
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 pm

oh argo don't worry about being a little light in the rear....its the cooler alternative at this time of year! glad to hear the vet says everything is okay;) I never knew that heat could give ya diaheria...i''ll have to keep that in mind. so far the kitties haven't had that problem.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Dire-rear is the worst! Wet paper towels, back yard with the hose, or let it dry & brush it out are about your only options. My sympathies, Bobcat. Urp

But overjoyed that Argo is okay!! cheers
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:32 pm

baby wipes work wonders as well;) they're stronger than paper towels so you need fewer for the butt wipes!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Glad to hear Argo is well. This heat is just punishing everybody.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum