Farm update.

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Farm update.

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the extended update Bob! Loved the pics you sent me, those lil kits, ducklings, and bat are cute. That bat probably had too many broken bones to survive, they are so very fragile lil fliers.

Whatever happened to the goose? And I want to see pics of the baby turkey. I've never seen one before.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:00 pm

fiffur wrote:Thanks for the extended update Bob! Loved the pics you sent me, those lil kits, ducklings, and bat are cute. That bat probably had too many broken bones to survive, they are so very fragile lil fliers.

Whatever happened to the goose? And I want to see pics of the baby turkey. I've never seen one before.

All the geese are fine, bar one which we had to euthanise. Onion (the female turkey) was attacking it and pecking at its head. It couldn't walk and the only thing to do was deliver the coup de grace.

I'll be sure to get a photograph of the baby turkey as soon as possible.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:11 pm

baby turkey! i don't think (other than on tv) i've ever seen a baby turkey before!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I've never even seen one on tv.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:41 pm

well they sometimes show all sorts of flocks of turkeys around thanksgiving time on tv;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:54 am

We have flocks of wild turkeys around us. Sometimes, if we're lucky, we can see the moms teaching the kids to fly. The babies are rather homely, but they are just as cute as can be when they learn to fly. They scoot along the tops of the crop fields. Then they have crash landings for a few days. Soon, they get pretty good at flying and the families raise a bunch of noise while they all play in the fields. It's kind of funny to hear a LOT of gobbling. The turkey hunters get all upset because they have to hunt in the woods. Turkeys are SMART and aren't easily found in the woods. What a Face
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:04 pm

oh that's good !I like to hear stories about how critters outsmart the hunters! I need to file this in the back of my head..i could see it as a mini zine or even a short kid's book!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

We have wild turkeys here but I've never seen a baby one. They keep to the woods mostly here so sightings by the road are somewhat rare, about every other year for me.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Well so far, every time I approach the run with my camera, Momma turkey chivvies the little one into the nest box area before I can get a photgraph of it, or she gets in the way and spreads her wings out so I can't see it. I got a really good shot of its feet today. Yeesh.

Bunty (the Chihuahua) continues in good health, but now one of Beryl's Chi's has developed a cruciate ligament problem. She is on metacam (an anti-inflamatory/painkiller) at the moment and so far it seems to be improving. If it doesn't she faces a vet bill of between $800 and $900. We're both praying the metacam works. lol
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 am

Glad to hear Bunty is still in good health. Sending some ((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))) for Beryl's lil chi.

Maybe mom turkey won't be quite so protective when the lil one gets bigger? Those feet of his are really tiny right now, so I imagine the rest of him is tiny too. Is he fluffy like chicks or feathers like mom?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

fiffur wrote:Glad to hear Bunty is still in good health. Sending some ((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))) for Beryl's lil chi.

Maybe mom turkey won't be quite so protective when the lil one gets bigger? Those feet of his are really tiny right now, so I imagine the rest of him is tiny too. Is he fluffy like chicks or feathers like mom?

He/she (I'm calling it Helen. lol) has gone past the fluffy stage now. I'm still trying to get a better photograph
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm

think the mom turkey should be Madonna...NO PAPAROZZI:) love the little turkey feet peeking out though;)
will have the light a candle for Bunty.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Sorry guys I should have made myself clearer. Bunty is fine. Angel is the chi with the cruciate ligament problem.
The metacam is working and we took her to the vet for a check up on Wednesday. The vet is very pleased with her progress and is keeping her on the meds for now.

I'm calling the turkey chick Helen in remembrance of Beryl's cousin. Plus I think it winds Dave up. lol
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Momma Turkey sounds like a wonderful mother, not allowing that nasty man lurking about with a camera to take pictures of her children. Good on her! (Lol! Noticed the chick's name and did wonder what Dave thought.) I'm glad to hear Angel is responding well to the meds. Prayers for continued healing.

Any hope of getting Dave to agree to a regimen of spay/neuter for the cats? I do worry about them. I know life is harsh but, with domesticated animals at least, I think we (as the domesticators) have a duty.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 pm

It is hard to get some people to see the sense in spay/neuter. My neighbors have a dog that wanders loose and is not spayed. I told them yesterday that they really should pay the $90 at the spay/neuter clinic to have her done or else they will get some weird little mongrel pups come hunting season. Their dog is a St. Bernard, and hunting hounds crossing with her will make some strange little ones. Sigh... The neighbor said it wasn't worth the money. I hope you have better luck with your efforts for the cats.

The little turkey's name is priceless.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 am

Dave has decided that work is killing him, so he has asked for early retirment. His last day in work will be the 23rd September. He has already started to moan about how he will have to watch the cost of things and asked me if I could cut down on the feed for the ducks and geese etc. Basically I told him to get a life and that the ducks and geese needed the food. I know that in the summer they graze and feed off the land, but autumn seems to have arrived and they'll need all the food they can get soon.
On the principal that 'where there's no sense there's no feeling', I want to punch his lights out.

I'm waiting the opportunity to tell him that if he wants to save money he should stop taking 'that woman' out for meals and weekends away. Bet he won't though. LOL

ps. What nasty man with the camera, has someone snuck in? Wink
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 am

Oh my! He probably does think that humans eating out is less expensive than feeding barn fowl for a month. Rolling Eyes You're right... No sense.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Sounds like he doesn't want to keep a farm if he doesn't want to feed the farmyard animals. People are odd.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Man, I want to punch his lights out too! Twisted Evil He's very lucky I'm stuck in Flint, MI, USA with no money to travel!! Wink

By the way, who did the artwork in your avatar? It looks so peaceful and serene Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:13 pm

?!?!??!? He said WHAT?!?!?!? I'm with Jeane on this one.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 pm

honestly what is he doing living on a farm if he doesn't want to take care of the poor critter living there? he needs to move into a little flat in town and leave the farm to you,bob!
i don't live on a farm, but i spend a week's pay every month to feed (and litterbox fill) the Rescue Kitties and i STILL feed the birds and squirrels on my days off! (but then, those squirrels and blue jays will eat anything...including nasty off flavored malted milk balls that have melted in the heat!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 am

ARNIgal wrote:Man, I want to punch his lights out too! Twisted Evil He's very lucky I'm stuck in Flint, MI, USA with no money to travel!! Wink

By the way, who did the artwork in your avatar? It looks so peaceful and serene Smile

If I do try to punch some sense into him I'll get Beryl to video the moment. LOL. I went through to the lagoon to toss some bread to the Muscovy ducklings (ducklings. They're like battleships now) and I take Pol and Pippa with me. They, of course, make a dirty dive round the corner to the midden to check on the three kittens.
I went round to retrieve the girls and let the kits get back into the poly tunnel. What did I find? Two empty bowls. 9 week old kittens and, after moving them onto biscuits instead of tinned food, it looks as though he hadn't fed them yesterday. So, idiot that I am, I went and got a tin of cat food and put it down for them, I've already been giving them a tin of food a day anyway to supplement the biscuits but now it looks as though the s**t has decided to leave them to fend for themselves. Looks like I have some more cats to feed.

I wish I hadn't sold the house now so I could move out. I can't stay at Beryls for more than a few days at a time as she hasn't got as garden just a paved area, about the size of a postage stamp, so I have to keep taking my girls out to a local park (too far to walk so I have to drive there) every couple of hours. Not a good arrangement.

The sooner we get her house sold and we can get another place together, the sooner we can rescue as many animals as possible. Once that is done I will personally telephone the RSPCA and set them on him.

ps I did the artwork.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm more than tempted to say sic the RSPCA on him now..............what is he doing on a farm if he has no intention of feeding or taking care of the animals there? Let him leave the farm, move in with "that woman", be miserable, and leave the farm to you. I'm sorely tempted to grow wings, fly over there, and kick his @$$!

How dare he not feed the poor animals, who depend on us and can't/don't know how to fend for themselves. How are they supposed to do that penned in on a farm anyway? It's not like they can roam far and wide looking for food. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 pm

fiffur wrote:I'm more than tempted to say sic the RSPCA on him now..............what is he doing on a farm if he has no intention of feeding or taking care of the animals there? Let him leave the farm, move in with "that woman", be miserable, and leave the farm to you. I'm sorely tempted to grow wings, fly over there, and kick his @$$!

How dare he not feed the poor animals, who depend on us and can't/don't know how to fend for themselves. How are they supposed to do that penned in on a farm anyway? It's not like they can roam far and wide looking for food. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

You've got to remember that the only animals left here now are the ducks, geese, turkeys and chickens. Which I take care of. So I know what they get to eat.
The Golden Retrievers which, again, I take care of as far as their exercise is concerned. I do ensure that they have food put out for them.
Dave puts food down for the Chi's and the cats in the morning and that is the end of it as far as he is concerned. I go round to the midden and put tins of food down for the three kittens there. He puts biscuits down for them in the morning and leaves it at that.
There are no other animals here now. He got rid of the horses last year so he didn't have to buy any hay or straw.
He has no idea how to look after animals and no ammount of talking to him will get you anywhere. As soon as I (and Beryl and Helen's sister, Sonia) can do something positive about the animals we will. Meanwhile it is just a matter of biding our time. Rolling Eyes
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm

It's a difficult situation, Bob. Dave owns the farm, I assume. I also assume it was Helen who kept it alive and running. I wonder if you could put out feelers for someone with funds who might be interested in taking it over. My guess is Dave would jump at the chance to have money in his pocket, move intown with the ladyfriend, and wave by-by to the farm. Feckless bastard. He doesn't know or care for the gem he's got.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum