Farm update.

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Farm update.

Post by Bob on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Suzzzz wrote:What a story! And he's SO cute! Oh, Bob, you did the right thing. I'm so glad your inner Mr. Softy got the better of you at the last minute. Poor little bugger, he was just looking for a warm winter home. Hopefully he'll accept the lovely straw mansion on offer in exchange for your (now beautifully clean) cutlery drawer. Very Happy

Not just the cutlery drawer. I got everything from the cupboards under the sink and donning my rubber gloves (blue, obviously. Though I do have a yellow pair for special occassions Embarassed Now that doesn't sound weird at all) I have scrubbed and bleached everwhere.
So far no sign of Mr Whiskers making a comeback.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Have you found where Mr. Whiskers got in? There must be a hole somewhere, possibly where the pipes come in......mice don't need a very big opening to get in. When I used to find those, I'd stuff them full of brillo soap pads. Not only did the metal mesh keep them out, the soap didn't encourage chewing either. Worked like a charm. That, and nailing a piece of metal can lid over the holes I found elsewhere.

Mr. Whiskers is a cute lil mouse. Reminds me of my first pet mouse: a lil wild baby abandoned by mom. I had to wean him and everything. Set up a wonderful playland in an escape proof aquarium. Never got tame enough to hold but I could gently pet him now and then.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Years ago WeezerCat went on a hunting binge and constantly brought live field mice into the house. I freaked when I found the first one and, I'm ashamed to say, killed it. Thereafter, wracked with guilt over my rash act (still am), I bought all manner of humane traps to rescue and relocate the rest of the mousie parade. A few months later, Miss Daisy the WonderBeagle came to live with us and Weezer was so annoyed she spent the next 6 months upstairs, so the mouse occupation ceased, thank God. I've had one or two incursions since then of little guys looking for a warm home, but the traps still work and I've been able to redirect them elsewhere with minimal trauma to all involved.

Fif, I've heard of the Brillo pad trick and it comes highly recommended. I should go out and check around my dryer and furnace vents. Can lids nailed over holes is a great idea.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 pm

I found the hole around a water pipe where I think Mr Whiskers got in and will get some brillo pads and jam a couple of them in between the pipe and the cupboard floor. Thanks for the tip Fif.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:40 pm

You're welcome Bob.

If the hole is really big than even with brillo pads the cold air can get in. I just measured the hole, found a can of something a big bigger, and that's what I had for lunch. Saved the can lid to nail over the hole. If it's a pipe, just use tin snip to cut a slit to the middle, then make a hole just barely big enough for the pipe to go through.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:33 am

Well it's official. I appear to have been adopted by a cat.
It all started off so innocently. I'd feed the midden kittens morning and afternoon and that, I thought was that. But no.
They started to follow me back to my little place at the back of the farmhouse and set up watch outside the door.
When I go to let the ducks and geese, turkeys and chickens out of a morning there the kits will be. Following me down through the orchard and back again after I'd let the collective fowl out. Pol and Pippa are no help, encouraging them to stay around by being nice to them. They came in for a look round a couple of weeks ago and then left and I thought that would be it.
I left the conservatory door open the other day and took a nap on the couch. When I woke up it was to find a purring kit next to me. Shadow, as I have named him, seems to think that this is an ok siutuation and takes every opportunity to get in. There is a shed partway up the paved area which the chihuahuas used to use. Both the remaining kits have set up home there, they sleep there of a night now so when I open the door in the morning they can spring out and make a beeline for the kitchen. Not for them the barn and the warm straw it offers. Oh no, they just want me and my couch now.
I've explained to them that I'm not really a cat person, but they say that nobody's perfect (purrfect) and that with time they'll convert me.
Aaaaarrrggghh!
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Awwwwww................that kit Shadow sounds very determined to be yours whether you like it or not. Face it, you're a lot warmer and softer to lay on or near than any pile of straw. Plus your heartbeat and breathing may be soothing to them somehow. And if Pol and Pippa objected I doubt he would've kept coming in to be with you.

And what's wrong with being a dog AND cat person? Nothing IMHO.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm

fiffur wrote:Awwwwww................that kit Shadow sounds very determined to be yours whether you like it or not. Face it, you're a lot warmer and softer to lay on or near than any pile of straw. Plus your heartbeat and breathing may be soothing to them somehow. And if Pol and Pippa objected I doubt he would've kept coming in to be with you.

And what's wrong with being a dog AND cat person? Nothing IMHO.

I totally agree that there's nothing wrong with being a dog and a cat person, it's just that I find I'm being consigned to the couch in the conservatory while certain parties have the other couch to themselves. I have also acquired Shadow's brother, name of Phantomcat, and at least he has the decency to stay under the couch in the conservatory.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 pm

*monotone* You have named them. You are theirs now. Resistance is futile.

And already waaay too late! cheers cat cat cheers Enjoy, Cat Daddy!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Suzzzz wrote:*monotone* You have named them. You are theirs now. Resistance is futile.

And already waaay too late! cheers cat cat cheers Enjoy, Cat Daddy!

I wondered what those strange little implants were on them. Borg cats eh? Worrying yet strangely pleasing.
You've also reminded me of the poem Data wrote for his cat, Spot.

"Ode to Spot" by Lieutenant Commander Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature.
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents.
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array,
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 am

Wonderful!

Do we REALLY think cats are not sentient? cat Razz Ask them and they'll tell you they've already conquered the world and are planning invasions of other universes. See? They've already got Bob. (LOL)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Lol! I remember every couplet from that scene! Oh, Bob, give it up. You now have dogs and cats.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm

**in a slight hispanic accent** I think you're going to need a bigger couch. (remember the Taco Bell dog commercials?)

I also remember that episode with Data poem......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am

Well it's official. I am now a dog and cat person. jocolor
Shadow and Phantom have established a rather firm hold on my emotions and have managed to convince Pol and Pippa that they are harmless, helpless little waifs who have been taken in from the cold, cruel world outside. cat
I (and my slightly chewed slippers) know better. Having watched them playfight with each other, a conflict where Phantom always comes out best, I really do know better.
Shadow is most definitely the boy as I discovered when he walked over my shoulder and turned his back end towards my face. Oh yeh, he's a boy. Phantom (small, delicate, gentle. None of these apply) is the girl.
However, in their quieter moments (few though they are) I managed to take a couple of photographs.
This is Pol bumping Shadow's head with her nose.

This is Phantom posing on a cushion (I think she was waiting for food of some sort.) They still get fed in the barn to prevent any upsets if they go near Pol or Pippa's food. I don't think the girls are quite that prepared to accept them yet. Evil or Very Mad
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 am

Well! You have a matching set of cat/dogs. Smile I think you are in for many adventures with such a great group of animals in your house. Beware of the kitty food though. It makes doggies FAT. My parents' dogs visited for 5 days, and they got a hold of the kitty food twice. I swear that little bit of cat food made them pudgy. The barn feedings might just be a lifelong thing if the cats can't decide to eat on elevated surfaces. Razz

Last edited by bpaquet on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar idiocy)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 am

You have mommy and daughter dogs and now you have brother and sister cats.

Phantom and Shadow are adorable.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Great pictures.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 pm

I WANNA SEE!!!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:00 am

I'm sorry to sound as though I'm over-reacting but why are cats so insane? Shocked I let the new adoptees in in the morning (they tend to sleep in the barn in their basket (they started going there so I made them a nice 'nest' with lots of blankets) and they come in, have a look round to get their bearings again and then Phantom goes and sits by the door mewing non stop to go out. I open the door and she gives me a filthy look and walks back into the other room (where she generally sticks one back leg up in the air and starts licking herself). Rolling Eyes
Meanwhile Shadow has staked a claim to the couch and is either stropping his claws on it or chewing the cushion. He leapt onto one of the cushions yesterday and his face was a picture as it toppled onto the floor with him clinging to it. Somehow I was reminded of the expression on the coyotes face when he falls off a cliff. Laughing
Next moment he and Phantom start fighting and rolling around the floor. It's like a feline version of Spartacus.
Also, in spite of allowing them in, Pol and Pippa go and stay in the conservatory out of their way.
It's a madhouse I tell you. Mad
Dogs and cats are weird.
Maybe I should have kept the mouse from the other week and completed the set. Yeesh.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Sounds like Phantom is training you to work as a doorman.......hehehehehe Maybe you should've kept the mouse. Think of all the fun you'd have then, with kitties trying to get at him. Shocked

Life will never be the same again for you Bob, or boring for that matter.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:16 pm

ROTFL Welcome to the wonderful world of cats!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:40 pm

ROTFL
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:42 pm

ROTFL OMG! I had this vision of Phantom giving you the kitty bird as she walked away. Yup... You're being hazed. The initiation phase of kitty ownership is rough.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:17 am

Glad to know my dear friends find this so amusing. lol

I'm strangely comforted by the inner knowledge that you must have gone through the same thing at some point.

Yesterday they decided that the conservatory roof was a great playground. I thought cats were light on their feet. A herd of elephants would have made less noise than they did. Then there was a dreadful clatter and I thought a drainpipe or part of the guttering had fallen off under their tender ministrations. Luckily this was not the case it was just shadow deciding to run along the gutter instead of the roof. Lucky he didn't deposit himself, the guttering or both onto the ground. Rolling Eyes
Hope they don't try that today. As at 4:15 am it's raining and we have 70 mile an hour winds blowing in from across the fields. I fear my little 'darlings' would get blown away. Shocked
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

I always referred to that as thundering kitty hooves, because it sounded like
a stampede of bison.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down