Farm update.

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Farm update.

Post by Bob on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 am

Charlie is 7 years young and into at least his third childhood. Whenever Honey had pups Charlie became Lord of the Revels and loved playing with them. He was the same with Pol and Pippa. Very Happy

The cows do come right uip to the fence and one or two of the have bumped noses with the girls. Charlie tried to be brave once, but gave up when the cow was about eight feet from him. He gave a bark and ran off, looking over his shoulder. Nearly ran into a gate post he was so intent on getting away. Shocked
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Guess Charlie didn't realize just how big a cow is until he got a lot closer.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm

That Charlie, just a big kid! I'm so glad Pol and especially young Pippa have him for their pal! Lord of the Revels. God, that's funny! geek
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Suzzzz wrote:That Charlie, just a big kid! I'm so glad Pol and especially young Pippa have him for their pal! Lord of the Revels. God, that's funny! geek

Seriously. We were looking after the place for a day when Honey had her last litter. I was getting the pups back into one of the stables and all was going well until Charlie (or that ***** as I called him at the time. ***** means cuddly creature, by the way) arrived and led them all over the farm yard. leaping and spinning like a Dervish bounce jocolor monkey with the pups following him. It was my own fault, I hadn't shut the door properly and he'd got out of the house. Took me nearly half an hour to get the pups back to the stable. pale
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:That Charlie, just a big kid! I'm so glad Pol and especially young Pippa have him for their pal! Lord of the Revels. God, that's funny! geek

Seriously. We were looking after the place for a day when Honey had her last litter. I was getting the pups back into one of the stables and all was going well until Charlie (or that ***** as I called him at the time. ***** means cuddly creature, by the way) arrived and led them all over the farm yard. leaping and spinning like a Dervish bounce jocolor monkey with the pups following him. It was my own fault, I hadn't shut the door properly and he'd got out of the house. Took me nearly half an hour to get the pups back to the stable. pale

Charlie seems determined that all who fall within his sphere grab all the joy they can out of life. My, my, what a pain in the ass! jocolor Actually, I'm sure it is at times! But jokers like him keep the rest of us within the realm of joy, or at least within shouting distance. Just doing his job as an angel on earth, you know. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:59 pm

He seems to know the key to happiness is laughter, and he's determined to spread that around to everyone everywhere he goes. Good boy Charlie.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 pm

He is adorable and still up to his old tricks.
The Goldie girls (after numerous hints to Dave) have been seperated from the boys as they are coming into season.
I had prepared a space (two linked stalls, bedroom at the back with the other room for their food and water.) It had been a bit damp last time they used it, so I covered the floor with sand and put a deep layer of straww on top of that. One of the wooden beds I built has gone in there too so Honey and Puddle are quite comfortable. It's not an ideal solution but safer.
Anyhow, got back from Liverpool with Beryl yesterday afternoon and brought Charlie and Bramble around to the back paddock with my girls. They were very obliging and both used the facilities (how polite is that? Smile ) However the Charlester did his well away from me. I went to clear it up and when I turned around there was only Bramble and my girls on the paddock. The bold one had gone over the gate back into the farmyard, over the farmyard gate and was partway down the track to the main gate. The little devilish . He was looking for the Goldie girls. Either that or he was trying to get back to those blasted damsons. Mad
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:42 am

Let's hope he hasn't developed an addiction. Laughing I can only imagine the tricks he's try to get his damsons!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:46 am

OhMy, maybe his name should've been Houdini! I hope the damsons aren't habit forming.......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 pm

bpaquet wrote:Let's hope he hasn't developed an addiction. Laughing I can only imagine the tricks he's try to get his damsons!

I suspect the siren call of goldie girls in season is stronger than even the damsons. Good luck, Bob.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Fun and games yesterday. I brought the boys round to the paddock for exercise, all was going well and then Honey started a very mournful howling. The very siren call of which legends are made. Both Charlie and Bramble stopped what they were doing (in Charlie's case sniffing along the fence, in Brambles case, I could see the panic on his face as he was part way through his number twos. lol) After that I had the devils own job to get them away from the barn door. Oh well give it another week and the girls will be past the worst of it, a week after that and they'll be a big happy family again.
Whatever, I reckon it's taken Charlie's mind off the damsons.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 pm

"In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love" Ah, Tennyson, you old devil. Only it's not Spring, and these are very determined dogs. I say again, Bob, good luck, and keep a sharp eye out. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Ha! And all I could think of was the Circe episode of Ulysses. Charlie seems to have a bit of Leo Bloom in him, doesn't he? Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am

Sounds like you may have your hands full for about a week with those two, Bob.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:12 am

Charlie continuies to audition for the remakle of the Great Escape. Yesterday I managed to catch him just as he climbed over the main gate onto the drive. He was going in the wrong direction for the girls of course, as they are at the back of one of the barns in their own little two room apartment.

Got a bit of a scare yesterday too. Went to put some bread out for the Muscovy ducklings and could only see Mrs Muscovy on the far side of the pond. I walked round to her and she was totally alone. Shock, horror. I'd seen a heron hanging around in the morning and they are known to take ducklings. Glad no one was about as I spent a good five minutes asking her what had happened. Then in the style of Lassie she started walking away from me in the direction I had come from. Just a few yards from the entrance to the pond were the six ducklings. All hunkered down enjoying the sunshine. I'd been so intent on the fact that I could see her alone, I'd failed to notice them not six yards from me as I walked over. I went over to make sure there were no injuries, and as they know me they just sat there while I looked. All present and correct. Phew.

Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh, Bob! I'm laughing, but I totally get it. When you're the big cheese, in charge of everything, every sign is a sign of trouble. Mom's alone? Where are the babies???? ........... Oh. Heh. There they are. Just parked them while you took a bit of a breather, did you? Fine, nice, yeah. Of course that's okay! Of course it's quite natural! Hoo, just let me sit down for a minute 'till my heart stops thumping. Yes, very nice, everybody looks lovely. Yes, they are little darlings. Listen, as long as everyone's okay, I gotta go back to see what fresh hell Charlie's got into. Yes, it was lovely to see you, too. Keep an eye on that heron, okay? Right, see you later. *Bob staggers back to the routine mayhem*
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Suzzzz wrote:Oh, Bob! I'm laughing, but I totally get it. When you're the big cheese, in charge of everything, every sign is a sign of trouble. Mom's alone? Where are the babies???? ........... Oh. Heh. There they are. Just parked them while you took a bit of a breather, did you? Fine, nice, yeah. Of course that's okay! Of course it's quite natural! Hoo, just let me sit down for a minute 'till my heart stops thumping. Yes, very nice, everybody looks lovely. Yes, they are little darlings. Listen, as long as everyone's okay, I gotta go back to see what fresh hell Charlie's got into. Yes, it was lovely to see you, too. Keep an eye on that heron, okay? Right, see you later. *Bob staggers back to the routine mayhem*

And that sums it up perfectly. lol
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:32 pm

So cute that Mrs. Muscovy "pulled a lassie" and led you to the ducklings when you asked about them. She understood you completely and knew you were worried.

"routine mayhem....." LOL
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I noticed something unusual about one of the ducklings today. They have very distinctive head marckings, insofar as it looks as though they are wearing little brown hats and have kohl lines by their eyes, but one of the little critters has a balaclava covering it's whole head.
Check out the one on the left. I wonder if it will keep the marking when it gets older?

All are still doing well and enjoying the sunshine.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Oh, CUTE!!!! I love you I love you I love you

I did a quick Google image search for Muscovy duckings and see a good bit of variety. Interesting. The age old question presents itself. Who's their Daddy?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am

If that one does keep his markings, you'll be able to pick him from the crowd easily. Do those markings bring to mind a name for the lil guy?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Suzzzz wrote:Oh, CUTE!!!! I love you I love you I love you

I did a quick Google image search for Muscovy duckings and see a good bit of variety. Interesting. The age old question presents itself. Who's their Daddy?

Well daddy is actually their mother's brother. Nothing like keeping it in the family eh?
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:02 pm

the one on the far left look like he's got a cape and cowl on.....maybe Batman needs a new sidekick;) (or else he could help The Flash with Pooper Scooper duty:) )
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:22 am

The ducklings are still cute...even if they are inbred freaks! Shocked What a Face
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Hey now--they didn't get to pick their parents. But they're still cute.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum