Farm update.

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Farm update.

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 pm

hmm....i remember there was a certain castle you had your eye on once upon a time...bet that would hold a lot of rescue critters;)
ah....if only! (i think i need to start playing the lotto....if i won big it could go across that big lake and help out!)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:17 pm

He obviously has no desire to learn how to care for them either. One meal a day won't cut it with kittens, I'm so glad you make sure they get more than that. Shame you can't buy him out and have the farm officially be yours.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Good job on the artwork Smile
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:23 am

ARNIgal wrote:Good job on the artwork Smile

Thanks.

Muppet newsflash.
We now have another five, yes five, kittens in the dog room. I found two of them still with their umbilicals attached and in the case of one of thenm the placenta too. Had to do a quick job on those. Not a pleasant task but neccessary. Anyhow. Portia already had a tabby kitten and when I went in that one had been moved into another bed and these two had appeared. Yesterday afternoon I went to see if momma cat was looking after them and she wasn't. However two more tabby kittens were in the bed with the original one. They are obviously younger by a few days so I slipped the other two in there as well.
When I looked in later Portia and one of the other cats were lying in the bed with the five kittens curled between them.
Haven't checked this morning but I hope that they are looking after them all.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:59 am

Holy moly! Lots and lots of cute little ones. It's unfortunate that they are just appearing from nowhere, but it's good that you are there to care for them. Good on you for taking care of the yuckiness of birth. (EEW placenta removal!)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:57 pm

That's a lot of kitties with no mama.........glad Portia and friend were willing to step up and foster them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:17 pm

fiffur wrote:That's a lot of kitties with no mama.........glad Portia and friend were willing to step up and foster them.

To be honest, I suspect that three of them are Portias anyway, and the other cat is one of her grown up kittens. So far all are thriving. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Bob on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm

bpaquet wrote:Holy moly! Lots and lots of cute little ones. It's unfortunate that they are just appearing from nowhere, but it's good that you are there to care for them. Good on you for taking care of the yuckiness of birth. (EEW placenta removal!)

Ha. Last year one of the cats gave birth outside, somewhere in the garden and brought the kits in when they were about a week old.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:08 pm

oh bob it sounds like a kitty commune at the farm!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 am

We're definitely outnumbered Jeane Shocked
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:56 pm

What a nice way to be outnumbered though Bob! All those cute lil faces, all that purring........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:28 am

fiffur wrote:What a nice way to be outnumbered though Bob! All those cute lil faces, all that purring........

Hmmmm. Pol and Pippa are obsessed with the kits in the midden. While I'm putting their food in the dish the kits walk all round the girls. My two don't understand why they're not running away as the other cats do. lol
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:46 am

And it's hard to explain to them the reason is the kits haven't learned that most dogs are hazardous to kitties.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:36 pm

fiffur wrote:And it's hard to explain to them the reason is the kits haven't learned that most dogs are hazardous to kitties.

They are totally intrigued by them.

The two kits that had their umbilical cords still attached have been accepted by Portia so they are snuggled together with the other three kits.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm delighted to hear that!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:49 pm

I am delighted to hear that Bob. I had a feeling Portia would take those lil ones in, she's such a fantastic momma! Very Happy I'd love to see pics.............. **hint, hint**
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Great news. I'm glad the new ones have found a mom. Good on you, Portia!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

oh kittens and pooches can get along! you need to take some pics of the kittens and the dogs...i'm always seeing pics like that at the FreeKibble email i get..almost every day there's a cute pic of a dog and a little kitty;) Some dogs love kitties just as much as they love other smaller dogs or people!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 am

jeanebellini wrote:oh kittens and pooches can get along! you need to take some pics of the kittens and the dogs...i'm always seeing pics like that at the FreeKibble email i get..almost every day there's a cute pic of a dog and a little kitty;) Some dogs love kitties just as much as they love other smaller dogs or people!

I need to get batteries for my camera or I'd have posted some pics by now. I think Ill take a video of them and post that. The speed those critters move with Pol and Pippa behind them is amazing. lol

I checked in on the kits in the dog room yesterday and all is well. The two orphans are putting on weight now and are coming along nicely.
I think the main problem is that the 'Tea pot kitten' (we call her that on account of the curled tail) who is their real mom is inexperienced. It may be the reason we have found a couple of dead kits over the last year. With them in the same bed as Portia she has seen what she is supposed to do and she and Portia are taking turns feeding them all. It's good as there is no strain on one cat this way.

In other news. Remember the kits where I was bathing the little black ones eye's? Well Daves squeeze took them. She is off to Canada to visit her eldest son so Dave is looking after them while she is away. She has named them Mac and Berry (after Apple Mac and Blackberry). I'll get some photos of them too. They are a beautiful pair of cats now and I only hope they are still here when she comes back from Canada. They are being put in the dog room where they were born, but will just roam around with the other cats.
Pam (that woman. lol) has brought them to visit and left them here for the day a couple of times so at least they are used to it.
Yes Fif I will send them to you by email when I take the pics. I know you have problems seeing them on the library computer. Wink
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Portia has not only taken in the kittens, but has taken their adolescent mother under her wing as well and is showing her the ropes? Oh, my. Portia is a true maternal angel.

What does That Woman think of spay/neuter? Like it or not (and like her or not) she may be of some help in getting Dave to see the necessity of caring for the animals at the farm.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Yes. There's an unmentionable power THAT WOMAN might have. devilish I hope she does agree with you on the spay/neuter. As cute as kittens are, too many can create problems for humans and kitties.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Suzzzz wrote:Portia has not only taken in the kittens, but has taken their adolescent mother under her wing as well and is showing her the ropes? Oh, my. Portia is a true maternal angel.

What does That Woman think of spay/neuter? Like it or not (and like her or not) she may be of some help in getting Dave to see the necessity of caring for the animals at the farm.

If she comes round to the back of the house with Dave when I'm running the dogs she hardly ever speaks. I've tried to engage her in conversation but to no avail. She just smiles and adds the odd non-commital grunt or two. Trust me it's hard work. I've told him that I prefer to run the dogs myself as she only seems to speak to him and its very uncomfortable. He just doesn't really answer this (which is kind of typical of him)
It gets very awkward because we don't know what stories Dave is spinning to her. I think she has had the two kits she took spayed and neutered though.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Bob wrote: I think she has had the two kits she took spayed and neutered

Sheesh. Well, at least that, I suppose. She sounds like she wants no part of the gritty day to day of the farm. It's a wonder, frankly, that she has anything to do with Dave. Still, as you say, no telling what dreams he's been spinning her.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote: I think she has had the two kits she took spayed and neutered

Sheesh. Well, at least that, I suppose. She sounds like she wants no part of the gritty day to day of the farm. It's a wonder, frankly, that she has anything to do with Dave. Still, as you say, no telling what dreams he's been spinning her.

I think they're both thinking with parts of their anatomy not normally associated with thought. Nuff said.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 pm

If that's the case I hope they're spaying or neutered, unless they want lil ones running around. Shocked

I'm so happy Portia is not only taking on the lil kits, but teaching their too-young momma what being a mom is all about.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum