home pony stories

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: home pony stories

Post by Sue Short on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Takes time, maybe it needs to build up in his system.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Most meds do need time to build up to therapeutic levels in the blood. If it isn't working in say two weeks I'd start worrying again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Very true. Arthritis meds need to build up, and then it takes a little while for the joint to adjust to being used differently. Envoy isn't resting that leg as much when he's in the cross ties, so maybe that's a positive sign.

We're all packed up except for the last-minute things (water bucket/food dish/toothbrush). Of course, the forecast is for rain in the morning. I hope it holds off until we get where we're going. I just don't like hauling in bad weather.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:30 am

I hear you there. (((((GOOD WEATHER AND HAULING VIBES))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:45 pm

The clinic was fantastic. The weather held, although it was chillier than forecast. We had fog this morning, but the day turned out great. I learned SO much and Envoy was a real champ. Everyone was impressed with how well behaved he was. Smile

We're all safe and tucked in and sleepy now. I think Envoy will sleep very well tonight. I know I will!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 am

Glad it all went well. Tuck in warm.

Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Ponies get a rest day today. Envoy looks like he had a great time wallowing in the mud. Casper and Kina did too. Looks like I'll have a fun time brushing.

My trainer wants me to bring Envoy to her house early so she can ride him. She needs a horse to ride to stay in shape for her very UP youngster, and he needs the slow, steady therapy. She attended the clinic, and so knows what he needs. I'm thinking I might take him Thanksgiving week and then swap Kina and Envoy over the winter with weekends riding Casper. Sounds like a busy winter.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Busy but fun.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 pm

I agree....busy but fun.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Kina decided she wanted to spend the night outside. I opened her stall door to feed bedtime hay, and she just moseyed out the back door into the pasture. So, I put hay in nets and hung them on the fence. Everyone is outside spending the last unfreezing night under the stars. This weekend is supposed to get downright arctic, and they'll be tucked into their blankets. (I hope Envoy's new one comes soon. His buns stick out the back of the one he has now.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 am

It's supposed to be ugly here too.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Same here. I'm glad they got to enjoy the last nice night under the stars.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:26 pm

I had a very nice therapy ride on Envoy today. It started out rough like the clinician said it would. He didn't want to do circles to the right, and he had some trouble using his spine correctly. So, we did lots of walk exercises. We did "double ice cream cones" where we walked a 1/2 circle and then did a diagonal line to go it the other direction. Then, another 1/2 circle and diagonal line to reverse again. Then, we tried some shoulder fore (shoulder slightly inside the haunches) along the long sides of our rectangle. By the end of the ride, I could feel him bringing his right hind leg under him better and he was in better balance. He relaxed his neck and actually agreed to go along in a nice frame. It's been a long time since he's moved comfortably.

I don't know if it's all therapy or if some of it's the meds. I'll take it where ever it's coming from!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I agree. Sounds like things are going well.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:20 am

The ponies have their sheets on for the potential cold weather. I considered putting on blankets, but they might be too hot. The sheets will keep wind from getting under their fur, so they should be good until we get home tonight. They have nets full of alfalfa hay, so I've done what I can. Days like this are hard to manage since changes are due.

I have to decide if I'm going to clip Kina for winter at school. She and Envoy will be sharing time away, and she's SO furry. I'm afraid she'll get sweaty and wet. If I clip her, she'll dry more easily, but she'll require a blanketing strategy. This won't be a problem while she's at school, but no one is home during the day at our place. I don't know anyone I'd trust to handle the horses in the pasture out here. Decisions decisions.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 pm

What kind of clip are you considering? Trace? Blanket?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Trace. Smile(https://www.google.com/search?q=trace+clipping+patterns&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cXCRUoW7EIaHkQeUpYCwBA&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1186&bih=687) It seems a bit less "serious" than other patterns. I also like having hair over the back.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:26 pm

I've used it successfully. I sometimes did a varitation of it by clipping the windpipe
to just above the chest level.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 pm

The ponies are hiding out from the giant rain. It's warm right now, but cold is on the way again. Sigh… Yucky weather means a lot of stall cleaning.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Your weather sounds like ours.....decent one day, crappy the next. Nothing like 'anything but normal' weather, huh?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I figure today was our introduction to winter. It's getting colder and colder, and it's MUDDY. The horses, thankfully, got to go outside for the afternoon. It drizzled a bit, but not too bad. They were climbing the walls. Horses don't really like to stay inside, but I didn't want to turn them out with 40 mph winds and pelting rain. We have trees for shelter, but I'm wimpy. I don't want them to get cold and wet. Even with blankets, weather like that is just miserable. Fortunately, we're on the upswing now.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Weather is wonderfully sunny and cold. Well… Not as cold as it has been, but the wind makes it feel like it's in the 30s. BRR! The horses are naked because their blankets were making them itchy. I'm sure I'm in for a brushing marathon tonight!

Envoy did his therapy ride today. He seems to warm up better and more quickly. I can't tell if it's because I'm doing something right or if the therapy is making him better. It is good to feel him using his right hind better.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I think it might be a combination of both Becky. I'm glad he enjoyed it and wasn't in pain doing it either.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Envoy and Kina both have an invitation to school this winter. I need to figure out if Casper will be ok with a "rent a buddy." My trainer has offered to ride Envoy for free (so she can keep herself in shape while her horse recovers from a foot problem). I can work with Kina and learn to ride her better. It's really tempting. Planning…

I did find out that I can't let Kina go for 10 days with no work. She gets really "up." She wanted to drag me all over the place today. It took a lot of concentration and self control to keep her working. I had to do trot/stop/reinback/trot and trot/stop/turn/trot exercises to keep her brain going. The great thing was that her trot got really "boingy" after the exercises. I, however, was exhausted!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Maybe Casper will be okay with the rentabuddy if he meets him first....and several times....before coming to live there for a while?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum