home pony stories

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: home pony stories

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Ponies just use human Benadryl. 10 pills twice a day is about enough for them. I buy loads of the generic, and use it quite a bit in the summer. Kina will be getting some today. She stepped on something, and her back legs are all bit up. She doesn't seem too bothered, but it looks terrible.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Could it be fire ants? I heard a lady in Georgia died from complications from a fire ant bite just last week.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:58 pm

EEEK, but no. As far as I know, we don't have those here. We do, however, have ground bees. The bites look suspiciously like those. She probably accidentally stepped on a hole in the woods. She isn't in any pain, so I'll treat the symptoms and hope she's learned where not to wander. There's really no way to get rid of ground bees.

I took Kina to the trainer's today, and she was brilliant. It's so cool to have a totally "made" horse. She's teaching me all kinds of stuff. Today's lesson: trot down the wall to the middle of the line, stop, turn on the inside hind leg, and immediately trot. Then, it was canter from the walk. We have lots to work on. That girl is going to teach me to ride!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Never heard of ground bees before.

Sounds like Kina coming to you is a big blessing......who'd have known she'd teach you so much already, with more to come? Not so obvious when you first met her, huh?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Practiced for only about 20 minutes today. I got a flat tire on my way home from work. So, it was getting dark when I got home and I had to cram in what I could. My lights are burnt out. Sad We made progress on the trot/turn exercise. She knows exactly what to do. I just need to get the half-halt right.

And, poor Envoy has broken out in full-blown hives. He's on the Benadryl, and I've ordered a heavy duty fly sheet. Sigh... Poor guy.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

Poor Envoy, I know how itchy a bad case of hives can be! He may need to be coated on the outside with benedryl cream too, until this case subsides. Or a very long oatmeal bath....... In the meanwhile, is there a way to mount an extra fan for his stall? A stronger breeze will help keep the flies off him. A tail can only do so much in the fly swatting department. **pats of sympathy for Envoy**
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Poor Envoy!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm

He seems to go through this every summer. I'm not sure if it's bites or some airborne ickiness. But, the Benadryl seems to be helping. The hives are smaller today, and he doesn't seem as itchy. I'll give him a nice oatmeal bath this weekend when I can spend some good time doing it.

Kina has been taking up Envoy's riding days. Casper should do something, but he's such a good babysitter that I've just been enjoying riding my new little sweet pea.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Do they make an aloe shampoo for horses? I'm thinking something like that would help.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Benedryl is the best thing for preventing allergic reactions. It's a bit slower in reversing them. Envoy might have to be on a summer benedryl regimen for life. I hear the mold count is off the scale right now.....with weed pollen at moderate/high levels. Maybe those are what he's reacting to? I know I sure am.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 pm

I doubt it's mold or pollen since we're normally really bad for both from March through November. I think it's probably some kind of bugs. The deer flies seem to be out more now. Who knows?

No riding today. It was raining when I got home. Of course, now it's beautiful and my lights are dead.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 pm

It was POURING this afternoon. We have some flooding in the back pasture, and everything that could leaked. Even the feed room wasn't safe. The horses are tucked in under their fans. Looks like tomorrow is a riding day. It's my every other Friday off, so I hope it dries out a little.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 pm

Fingers crossed for a decent day to ride tomorrow. We had some clearing this afternoon so hopefully it's breaking up.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Same here, so hopefully the weather will cooperate with you.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm

It was a beautiful day. A tad warm, but sunny and nice. Envoy and I went for an easy ride. I think his hives have made his back tender, so we just walked. But, he seemed to enjoy himself while his fly spray held. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Then I say Thank Heavens for Fly Spray!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:59 am

All the ponies agree! They are ready for autumn when the gigantic horse flies are gone. All of our fly prevention efforts pay off well with the little black biters and deer flies, but the huge things just don't care.

Envoy and Casper were BAD this morning. Envoy ran out of his stall and into a pasture we aren't using now. At least he didn't run down the road. Casper followed him, and poor Kina was in the right pasture trying to get her "kids" to come back. Fortunately, no one really escaped. But, I had to tromp all over creation before coffee. Silly horses. Envoy gets to work today -- hives or no. Razz 
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Very nice ride in very nice weather today. Envoy's back is getting better. He was not nearly as tender, so we had a longer ride. Still taking it easy. I don't want to hurt him. So, we mostly walked and did some nice, slow trots. Big thing is to make sure he stays relaxed. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Glad you had a nice ride but evil ponies for making tromp all over before
coffee.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Naughty ponies!

I think the big flies just laugh at our attempts to ward them off with sprays......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Today's ride was nice. It's starting to get dark early, so Kina and I rode until the gnats started to come out. It was such a nice day. The temperature was about 78 degrees, and the humidity wasn't bad at all. Amazing for August!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Isn't it though? We only got up to about 72 here yesterday. Going to be a lot hotter today and already more humid. Storefronts downtown have condensation on the outside, so thick you can't see inside! Shocked  Will summer remain like this or come back with a vengence when school opens?

Makes me wonder what winter will be like though.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

No riding today. It was drizzling or pouring all day. But, it's ok. The temps are still low, which makes for nicer riding.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:53 pm

HOT today and humid too. Hope the weather is nicer for you today Becky. Maybe all that rain will somehow wash away all the nasty bugs for a while so you can have a ride without buggy hassle?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Envoy and Casper got their fly sheets and neck covers yesterday. So, today, all three went out with their summer clothes on. Envoy was definitely less lumpy when he came in. He and Casper had to roll in the mud because it's illegal for boy horses to have clean white sheets. Laughing 
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum