New lettering in Mutts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New lettering in Mutts

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 am

Hello all Mutts fans,

I am new to this forum (but not to Mutts) and have a question. Why has Mutts changed the lettering in the strip? The original hand lettering added a lot of character to the strip. This new lettering is boring and I wish Patrick would go back. Trying to post a picture sample of what I mean....Maybe I can add to my gallery??

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Re: New lettering in Mutts

Post by BobCat on Sat May 11, 2013 9:43 am

celombardo wrote:Hello all Mutts fans,

I am new to this forum (but not to Mutts) and have a question. Why has Mutts changed the lettering in the strip? The original hand lettering added a lot of character to the strip. This new lettering is boring and I wish Patrick would go back. Trying to post a picture sample of what I mean....Maybe I can add to my gallery??

Welcome to the group! Why don't you introduce yourself to our little group, while I figure out how to change your permissions! Editing to say that I looked at your permissions and you should be able to add a picture here...

When did you notice the change in the lettering? Patrick's style of drawing and lettering has changed a lot from the early days of the strip.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm

If I could just figure out how to attach a JPG.... I think I did!

I noticed the lettering change what seems like just a few months ago but may be even late last year. I really liked the old handwritten look better. I have to presume it is hand written because duplicate letters always look a little different compared to my TTF font. Anyway - I would like to see the old schtuff come back.

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 pm

another example of the old lettering vs new

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat May 11, 2013 12:30 pm

I started looking at this and a big change seemed to happen sometime in March. I'll have to investigate further!

Last edited by BobCat on Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 12:32 pm

One legal thing here - while yes it is true I made a 'font' out of Patricks lettering. (I did email it to them years ago when I made it so they are aware of my effort) It was just an exercise for me and is not for sale nor can I give it to anybody. I would hate to upset the Mutts creator and have his legal team come to my door.

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat May 11, 2013 12:36 pm

You are much more observant than I. When you asked about the font, did you pose the question about why the change occurred? I imagine only he would know the answer to this.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I never did ask about the font back then. I tried to find out why the change when I first noticed it but could not find a way to email them directly. After awhile (and some disappointment) I looked for a forum and found this one - I realize it is an un-official site and presumably not looked at by Patrick too much. But, it is a start and I thought if you guys like Mutts so much you may have some inside info. Maybe you even carry enough weight to influence a return of the old style. This reminds me of New Coke in a way....?

Let's not forget the font is only that, the charm of the strip remains in its simple illustration, compassion and love of beings other than humans - but to me it's just lost a little of it cuteness - that's all.

Last edited by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Were you a member of the original Mutts forum (the official one)? If so, do you remember your screen name there? I was BobCat on that forum too. We made this one after that one was abandoned by the Mutts franchise. Actually, there was one interim board, and then I put together this free one.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Sat May 11, 2013 3:48 pm

moved some photos to a new 'mutts' folder - here they are again (the lettering samples) plus some favorite items...

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 am

I got a response - they said that Patrick is experimenting with a Mutts font for a brief time period, in order to keep up with some other projects.

How do you create a font? That could be a fun project...
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmmmmmm, since you created a font from his original lettering, maybe Patrick could use that if you offered it to him? Not only would we get our 'handwritten' lettering back, but it would save him time looking for one as well. Just a thought.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:47 pm

BobCat,

Make a font? I wish I could say it was easy for anybody but it is not. I looked at some font making and editing software - you can see some reviews and prices at this site:

http://font-editor-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

(You will need to copy and paste this to your browser but add http: to it at the front)

Even if you get this software you will most likely need a vectored illustrator program like adobe illustrator (very expensive and difficult to use) or CorelDraw which is not as expensive but very intuitive in it methods. You will need a scanner if you want to create a font of you own handwriting.

If you really want to try it I would suggest you find an older version of CorelDraw like version 9 which should be pretty cheap if you can find it on the internet. (they are up to 16 now which is referred to as X6.) Version 9 will let you export the graphic as a TTF file which is True Type - It will not export to newer types of fonts because it is older than the new versions but you really do not need all that fancy stuff for what you will be doing. It will let you scan the letter then vectorize it so you create the actual letters etc. I do not know the programs that are reviewed but the less expensive ones seem to be just editors which is really a waste of money to me.

also - thanks for finding out about why Patrick is using the boring font he is using - (I sent mine years ago to them, he should use it)

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Tue May 14, 2013 4:13 pm

fiffur,
I sent my version of the Mutts font to them years ago. I believe they told me they had one already? That does not make sense today knowing what BobCat found out about the font used in the strip lately. Needless to say if they want mine I would be very happy to email it to them - all they need to say is 'do it'.

I remember I was sick one weekend and needed to kill some time and as I said before/above I only made it as a learning exercise. It takes a long time to do it - there are tons of little tweaks that need to be made so the letters spacing is good between each other etc.

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower on Tue May 14, 2013 7:55 pm

celombardo, that Hendrix tribute is one of my favorites. Very Happy

You got an autographed poster of it...awesome! cheers

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by celombardo on Wed May 15, 2013 5:00 pm

The Hendrix Tribute poster is actually a charter fan club member poster from 2005. I think it only went two years and I do have the 2006 version. I miss the old store where you could by all sorts of Mutts stuff. Best was the catnip pink socks. Also the tee shirt of the Mutts gang walking the crosswalk of Abbey road Beatles style is very cool

celombardo
New User
New User

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Thu May 16, 2013 2:25 pm

I have those two posters also - but never had them signed or framed. I should really do that. I wonder if Patrick will ever come back to the Chicago area for a signing.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum