Moving Forward with Cancer

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving Forward with Cancer

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Well, sheesh, where to begin...! confused The biggest problem is where to get started sometimes. A few of you have already seen in the same topic where I talk about my cats, that I have cancer. My specific diagnosis is Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer, HER2/neu positive. My Oncologist says its an aggressive one and started me on chemotherapy within the first week after my appointment. So far, I've had one of my six total chemotherapy treatments. Each time I go in for an appointment, I am supposed to be getting three drugs. Medicaid is going to be approved for me but it has not started yet. So that means I don't yet get started on one of the drugs, Perjeta. My Oncologist says it is alright to hold off on it for the first cycle of chemotherapy...! Hopefully Medicaid starts well before March 20th when my next chemo is.

Three days past my first chemo and I'm doing surprisingly well! cheers I'm stunned that I'm able to carry on life as normal! Maybe that's because I haven't yet had the Perjeta. The only thing that I'm noticing that I don't like is that I have a pretty terrified of going out in the cold that I didn't have before!
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving Forward with Cancer

Post by BobCat on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for starting your own topic, ARNIgal, and very glad you are doing well with your treatments. Keep us posted!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 pm

There is nothing wrong in being afraid to go out in the cold. I'm healthy and hate more than a hen
hates sharp cornered eggs to go out when it's below sixty degrees. Anyway it's your body's way of
telling you to be careful. Antonio and I send love and healing vibes.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 am

So pleased that you're feeling good after your first treatment.
Don't be alarmed by feeling afraid of going out in the cold, as Sue said, it's your bodies way of telling you to be careful. I know from family and friends who have gone through this that you do feel the cold more after the chemo so stay strong. Spring and warm weather is on the way.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

All my best wishes and hopes and healing vibes to you, Arnigirl.
We are rooting for you and hope that you have a good outcome.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Hugs! Stay as warm as you can. I think your body knows what it needs, and if it says, "no" to cold, it needs no cold. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Nothing wrong with holing up in warmth and avoiding the cold nasty weather. Cold weather does nothing for healing.
((((((((((((((((strong healing vibes)))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks for being so understanding about the cold! The way that fear came on so strong was bizarre to say the least! A week ago Friday, I must have sat on my bed for about an hour trying to convince myself it was O.K. to take my down jacket off.

About 10 days after my first round of chemotherapy, there continue to be no side effects aside from the abject fear of the cold weather. So far the most difficult part of my treatment appears to be giving myself the shots that increase my white blood cell counts. Since I have never even done something remotely close to this, I spent 4 1/2 hours working up the courage to do the first one. Well, jabbing the metal spike into my abdomen proved to be no more worriesome than a big ol' skeeter bite...so a lot of worry over nothing. Well after building up all that courage, the next two needles came off the syringe IN the needle cap! When I was working up all that courage THAT was my worst nightmare!! affraid To solve that problem, I drove to the cancer center in Flint and the nurses fixed the shots! I built my courage back up and was able to give myself the shots again. When Medicare starts up (hopefully soon!), I'll get the Neulasta shot which is done in one shot at the cancer center...and I won't have to give myself seven shots at home. Also when Medicare starts up again, I'll be able to get the third shot in my chemo series too! The only thing that I can tell that's holding up Medicare is a verification of a teeny bank account! When I was on the phone changing addresses for other things, a woman left a message asking for permission to hand out my info to a third party. I called customer service to give my permission for this and spent the next hour and a half trying to get a man with a very thin Southeastern Asian accent to understand my oddball request! Finally I just had to hang up without results to make an appointment an hour away! Back at it Monday, I guess! Evil or Very Mad
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm

keeping up the {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HEALING VIBES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Nothing like red tape and foreign call centers to derail good intentions. Evil or Very Mad

Hope things went off better yesterday and it's all straightened out now. If you have to give yourself more shots can they give you an auto injector to use? It would work sort of like the lansing device I use to poke my finger for blood (no way could I do it without that little gadget). You'd still have to load the syringe into it and push the button.

more (((((((((((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Well, I got a letter in the mail that appears to say that I've been approved for Medicaid...at the moment I'm in a state of disbelief! If this holds true, I'll be able to get the third drug in my chemo...annnnd I will not have to give myself those awful shots! Smile By the way, those shots I did have to give myself...they did their job!

In other news, I think my hair loss has begun affraid Unfortunately, it is not like the t.v. version of hairloss after chemo. Instead of loosing clumps or handfulls at a time, my hairloss is barely more noticeable than the normal stuff that I loose everyday. If hairloss for me was like on t.v., I'd know to go straight up to the store and buy a shaver Razz Instead I'll have to deal with low-grade denial, in that everyday will be the new normal since it is so gradual. I can picture going to a family gathering with what I think of as my normal amount of hair only to get some good natured ribbing from an uncle or brother-in-law!
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 pm

My friend said she only lost hair on one part of her head. It just thinned a lot. So, she grew what she had longer and did a girl combover. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank heavens they got that paperwork straightened out! And that the shots appear to have worked.
A lady in my mom's building had all her hair eventually fall out with her breast cancer treatment, and when it grew back her formerly stick straight gray hair came in super dark and curly! We were all amazed at that. It's still dark and curly even after 2 years. No two people react quite the same to identical treatment. Even if you go bald Arni you'll still be a beautiful person.......and you could always go to a family reunion with a cat hat on (they should be shedding up a storm pretty soon here--either make a wig or yarn out of it and......).
((((((((((((((((((((((MORE HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Glad that Medicaid came through. I'm sure that's a relief.

My friend's hair did the same thing Fif said - the old was brown and straight, and the new was almost black and curly.
When I was sick several years ago, I also had a lot of hair loss to the point where I had to cut it much shorter and was considering cutting it all off, but then the shed slowed and new hair began poking through. It was really weird for a while, because I had this new outgrowth that stood straight up like a crewcut, mixed in with my remaining regular length hair. It was awful looking - but temporary.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

one of the girls in my office, who had chemo last year had a little thinning and that's all.
My hair has been thinning naturally and I do that comb over thing myself
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Mine's been getting thin but it's just like my mom's.....thin all over. As if stick straight and baby fine weren't bad enough.
I am very relieved the Medicaid has kicked in for you........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

chickie this is the first time i've come in here since things got moved around and i read this....i know we're not going through the same stuff but if you want to talk you know i'm here. i never got a speck of chemo or radiation but my hair has been falling out...when i was in the hospital last every time i'd get up off the pillow i'd find more. BUT i've heard from several folks that once everything is over and done it could come back even thicker..so there's always hope chickie:)

and congrates on the medicaid...i'm fighting hard just to get the papers together to try to get charity care from the hospital. but that's soemthing i'll put elsewhere.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:51 pm

How you doing so far Arni?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes, Arni - how are you doing? I was away for a few days last week, and have yet to catch up with all the topics here.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Have you the kitties settled in to your new
place.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

The new place itself is working out great...having my mother in such close proximity, not so much, but that's getting better...I hope Rolling Eyes

Something truly horrible happened to me on Facebook which was why I hadn't been on ANY computer for awhile! Some hacker got into my account a week ago Sunday and sent all my friends a message which simply said "STOP ALL". A similar post was put up on my wall for the next three days as well. Plus this simple message was inserted as a comment on all of my most recent posts. Luckily, my attention span can remain on top of things quite handily and I think this hacker has been vanquished. In my mind, there is nothing more evil than a hacker that would tell a stage IV cancer patient's friends to "STOP ALL"!! confused

My treatment continues to go smoothly and so far the hacking incident was the most upsetting thing that's happened in the last few weeks. I'll have more to say once I am sure the hacker is gone. I'm scamming off a neighbors unsecured internet connection and I don't want this hacker monkeying around with their equipment! bounce
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm

I hate hearing that happened to you Arni, I know some pages have stopped letting people upload
pictures and videos because of that.

Glad your treatments are going well. Despite the hacker you sound like you're in good
spirits.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm

I am relieved to hear you're doing well so far Arni. Hopefully you've vanquished the hell-spawn hacker for good! Try to keep in touch.
(((((((((((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm

keeping up the {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HEALING VIBES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}, aRNIE
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Hoping Arni had a good Easter........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down