think if people are going to do this they would at least get a basic grasp of
genetics.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Re: Buster, the surprise foster pug

Post by gbste on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Buster is a good little boy and is healthy in spite of everything. I guess I just don't get the pure bred dog thing in the first place, and the extreme body modification thing even less. Buster just wants to be a real dog.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:21 pm

It's interesting in a way. Dogs, horses, etc are bred for certain things. Yet in
recent years we have lost sight in what we should be breeding for.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 pm

I know nothing about horses. It just has been interesting having this purebred dog here. All of my dogs have always been mutts. Walt is probably 90 percent lab, but his curly tail tells a tale. I'm just not sure how to interpret it.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 pm

My parents had poodles. I'm not even going there. The only pure bred dog I owned
was a Brittany Spaniel. Loved her, didn't know anything about the breed when I got her.
Like the hounds you promote they are not the dogs for every one. On the mutts unless
you are willing to drop about two hundred dollars on the DNA test, why bother. If the
dog is for you who cares. Also studies are bearing out that the mutt is the healthiest of
the lot.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 am

:soapbos: OK - Rant begins now. Not to criticize anyone's posts, but I'm going to bend your ears with my own side of the story of purebred dogs. :soapbos:

I have only owned pure breed dogs. Of course, my current two Papillons and Grommit the Miniature Pinscher are the only dogs I've ever owned, so dogs are not my specialty. I understand the love of rescued dogs and all that, and I give kudos to all of you who do the rescuing, but I will not take on guilt because I choose to own pure breed dogs either. I am not the one who turns my dog in because he/she's not acting the way I'd like, or isn't as cute anymore, nor am I one who encourages the poor breeding of these dogs.

Wesley was scolded one time by a new vet (we found a different new vet immediately) who looked down on us for having purebreds, and we simply will not accept that kind of disdain. We give a good, loving home to dogs and cats (which have always been "mutts") that we have chosen carefully to fit our lifestyle, because that's the kind of people we are. I'm an analytical person and everything I do in life is something I agonize over before I do it. My choices are life-long ones too (though there are moments where I claim I'd trade them for better dogs! Rolling Eyes ) because once they are members of my family, they are members of my family forever. If more people took the time to make proper choices before they brought that cute little 'whatever' home, the shelters would not be so full today. Those are the people who need to assume responsibility for the shelters being overcrowded - not me.

I feel I do my part for the rescues and shelters of the world by giving them regular donations, which will include all of our worldly posessions when we die. Thank heaven we've been fortunate enough in life that we will be able to will our estate to them. That's something we chose to do many years ago, since we have little family and we love companion animals so much. I certainly have no problems with the mixed breeds, or mutts, out there, and there's no telling but we may end up with one someday IF WE FEEL IT'S THE RIGHT MOVE FOR US, but there's my take on the pure bred dog issue.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

I have nothing against purebreds. I just have little understanding of them, as Buster is the first I've had in my home. I didn't mean to be snotty, but I read my earlier posts, and they sure come off that way. I'm sure a good pug breeder would not have produced Mr. Buster Droopy Tongue.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 pm

BC, you get the dog that is right for you. When you acquired Lyra and Argo you did a lot of research if
I'm not mistaken on not only the breed but the breeder. There is a difference between what you did and
what a majority do. You didn't go out and get a dog because it was the kind of dog, the tartlet du jour had or saw a movie with adorable dalmation puppies. You put a lot of thought into the kind of dog that would work
for you. I'm sure I'm saying all this badly. Still at the end of the day you did you homework and got the
dog that was right for you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:34 pm

I understand completely. It is sad that people pick the dog on a whim - that's another reason purbreds get a bad rap. Miniature Pinschers, like my Grommit, are some that I see given up to shelters and rescues quite often, and there's a reason for that; they're a tricky breed. They have the heart of a terrier, and the will of David in his battle with Goliath. Wesley and I have often said that once we retire, we may just try a couple of rescued Min Pins, since we now know their characteristics. We considered doing it after Grommit passed, because we were pros with the breed after having him, but knowing how hard-headed he was, we felt we weren't up for the task of one who may come with issues due to poor upbringing, especially since we both work full-time. Our vet often told us that Grommit was the most well-adjusted Min Pin he'd ever seen, and I felt that was because we took the time to make him that way. Because we weren't up for another, bigger challenge, we started researching and found the Papillon breed, and they've been wonderful for us in our present situation.

If I were to get a dog on looks alone, it would have been a Belgian Tervuren or a Belgian Shepherd, and probably not a wee little, big-eared fluffball, but again, we know enough to know that they would not be the dogs for us. Better to be happy with the dog than to be happy with the idea of the dog.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Amen to that! It is good to know the breed, the individual dog, your expectations, AND your limitations. I think you did all of that.

As to rescues... I am learning a lot with Casper. Granted, he is not a dog, but the issues are there. It is a challenge, and more so in a dog than in a horse.

bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm

I agree......you know more what you're getting with a purebred than a shelter mutt. Not to say shelter mutts aren't good or lovable (most of mine have been mutts). But a wellbred purebreed has a known quality as to personality, how big it will get, intelligence, trainablity, etc. The better you know the breed(s) the better you can make the right choice for both dog and you.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Buster went to the Petfair on Saturday, but he didn't find his forever home. The weather was bad on the trip home, and we didn't get him home until almost 9:00 in the evening (normally the van gets in between 6:30 and 7:00.) He had a good sleep Saturday night. The weather was cold, but not stormy, on Sunday, so he was able to get out and about during the day. I'm on for the next fair on March 23, so if he has potential adopters, I'll be able to screen them personally. We will work on some clicker training in the meantime. He kennels up really well right now, but he doesn't come when called, sit, or do anything else on command. I tried out the clicker with him a couple of weeks ago, and had no luck. He's slightly calmer now, and maybe things will go more smoothly.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm

I hope so.....knowing those things makes him more adoptable for some people. Good luck!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum