Lumpy Envoy

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lumpy Envoy

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I think I've been bitten by a few of those myself. I don't blame Envoy for being so itchy if those were the culprits. Hopefully you won't see any more flies at all that want to bite!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm

We have all kinds of flies as well as gnats and mosquitoes. It's a bug haven here. I don't think the flies are any worse than usual, we use "fly predators" that eat the larvae, so we aren't overwhelmed. But, if you're allergic to the bites, I guess one fly is too many. I'm not sure it is flies. I don't really care what it is as long as he can stay away and not react. I'm liking the improvement.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Here's to hoping that improvement continues!

Our skeeters are very bad here this year. I've been bitten at least a dozen times in just the past few days............and they itch like mad! Some of them even itch after I've scratched them until they bleed (that usually makes the itching stop). They call them floodwater mosquitoes, and we have a bumper crop of them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:07 pm

When we get storms in the Atlantic, we get GIANT mosquitoes from the Eastern Shore. They are horrible. But, our bad bugs this year are ninja gnats. You don't see or feel them while they are biting, but they raise the nastiest little itchy bumps.

I think the lumps are under control. I brought out the big guns with a chemical-based fly spray. I usually use one that's plant based, but it just wasn't keeping the bugs off long enough. The other stuff is not really bad, but it is definitely stronger. I figure if it keeps him from lumping back up, we're ok.

I actually got to ride today. This is the first time he hasn't been wild because of bugs and lumps. It was such a good day that we mostly walked and just a little trot. No reason to go full blast after almost 3 weeks off.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Glad to hear that his lumps are going away. Walk and trot are the basis for
everything else. Especially the walk.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 am

If there ever was a year to bring out the big guns this is it! Don't feel bad about having to use it, Envoy needed the stronger protection to keep those nasty biters at bay. It's no fun to be itchy all the time, and get new bites before the old ones have had a chance to heal.

Believe me, I know...............I've gotten 4 new bites just since yesterday afternoon. Wish I could use that bug stuff but I'm allergic. Nasty lil winged demons from hell...............if there's a single skeeter within 50 miles of me it will find me and try it's best to drain me dry! And the flies are nearly as bad. Don't even get me started on the swarms of knats......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Today was a miracle day in August. The temperature was right around 80, the humidity wasn't bad, and the bugs weren't either. Envoy and I had a nice ride around the pasture. Nothing exciting... Just walking and trotting, but that's really all we do at home. The pasture footing isn't the best, so we save the real work for real arenas.

I look at the forecast and it looks like the lower temps are going to be here for a while. I don't know if I should worry. This is the height of hurricane season. Is Mother Nature trying to lull me into not paying attention? Question
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't know but enjoy it while you
can.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:39 am

Glad to hear you got a nice ride in. And yes, enjoy the nicer weather while it lasts. We both know it won't be for long, then the saunalike weather will be back with a vengeance, along with the flies and skeeters and knats.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm getting spoiled already. The horses aren't all sweaty and miserable, and I'm not either. I have a feeling this is dangerous. When August returns in full force, I'll think it's far worse than it is. Rolling Eyes
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 pm

I know, it will probably reappear just in time for me to go back to work next week. As if standing on hot concrete surrounded by a sea of even hotter blacktop isn't bad enough. This week of cooler weather will un-acclimate me to the heat. But it feels soooo good!

Hopefully this cooler weather will put a dent in the mosquito and fly populations so everyone's lumpiness can go away for a while.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm

It's warm and humid here again. Welcome back, August. Oh well... It was bound to happen. The beautiful weekend was worth it.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am

We've only had one really beautiful day so far here. Today will make two.

I know the boys enjoyed the cooler weather while it lasted. Did the kitties enjoy it too?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Yup. The kitties spent most of the weekend days outside. Lots of pouncing and fun. Gateway didn't even barf up grass, so I know he had a good time.

It rained tonight, and Envoy didn't want to go back out. It was hot during the day, so I don't really blame him for wanting to stay under his fan. The temps are supposed to be better tomorrow, so we might be catching a break.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the cooler weather so much. Hopefully the hotter weather won't stick around too long this bout. We're back in the broiler starting today.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Cool and cloudy today. Tomorrow summer is supposed to return. I plan to ride anyway. We won't do anything hard if it's too warm, but it's been a while since I've played with my pony.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:42 am

Summer has definitely returned here, so it's headed your way Becky. Time to break out the icebottles for the water buckets again and let the boys play bobbing for bottles.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:59 pm

We rode for about 1/2 an hour today. I had to cover all chores today since my husband took the night to go to a baseball game. He needs his fun time, so I can cut a ride short to do stalls. No problems there.

Envoy was very good. I think we have the lumps completely under control.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:51 pm

That's good to hear, stuff like that can drive a
pony to distraction.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am

Thank heavens for that! No more itchiness, that can be very irritating and literally drive you crazy after a while.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Ok... What is it with me, my horses and flat trailer tires. I was bringing the UNlumpy Envoy back from a nice ride when kaboom! Flat with nowhere to get off the road. We limped for a while until there was a gravel pulloff. The tire was SHREDDED. I had seen sparks flying up from it on our limp. I had to call my husband because I was woefully unprepared for a flat. (No tire iron. Idiot!) The husband and very nice neighbor came to our rescue and Envoy didn't even have to leave the rig. But, the tire is just gone and the flying pieces ripped one of the fender lights off. Sigh... I guess I'm taking the trailer in for a bit of maintenance this week.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Ok... What is it with me, my horses and flat trailer tires? I was bringing the UNlumpy Envoy back from a nice ride when kaboom! Flat with nowhere to get off the road. We limped for a while until there was a gravel pulloff. The tire was SHREDDED. I had seen sparks flying up from it on our limp. I had to call my husband because I was woefully unprepared for a flat. (No tire iron. Idiot!) The husband and very nice neighbor came to our rescue and Envoy didn't even have to leave the rig. But, the tire is just gone and the flying pieces ripped one of the fender lights off. Sigh... I guess I'm taking the trailer in for a bit of maintenance this week.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:16 pm

UGH!!!! Glad your rim wasn't damaged. Even better you didn't
have to unload on the side of the road. How is Envoy about
loading?

Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 am

As far as I know the rim wasn't damaged. Hard to tell with bits and pieces of tire popping out all over it. The tread was totally gone and the sidewall is in shreds. Yuck.

Envoy is a loading pro (and all my guys are). Point him in the trailer and up he goes. I have a ramp, so it's less stress on the getting in/out. He always has hay in there, so he associates it with good things. I hope this incident doesn't change that. The only thing that seemed to disturb him was the drill that the guys used to loosen the bolts. It made a really loud rattling noise. He danced around for that, but he seemed ok when I checked on him.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 am

Glad everyone involved is O.K. Smile

So getting the horses in the trailer is nothing like getting a kitty in a carrier, eh?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum