Lumpy Envoy

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lumpy Envoy

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:57 pm

The bunny is at boarding school, but I think he/she is busy with the bunches of babies. I haven't seen it since summer arrived and we go to visit almost every week. I did see the heron today. He flew up out of the canal/creek next to our property. No squawking today. Just a beautiful, silent flight.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I've never seen one fly. Must be quite a sight.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:51 pm

It's been just too hot. The heron is hanging out in the canal -- I think to cool off. Envoy and I haven't been riding because it's so hot, so we haven't played with the bird recently. I did hear him calling today though. He sounds kind of like a duck.

Envoy's legs are growing nice black hair now. He is completely recovered from whatever ate him up. I'm so glad we didn't have to go the vet route.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:44 am

I am relieved to hear Envoy is healing nicely with your TLC. I don't suppose the boys would wade around in the creek to cool off, would they? Or do they prefer a nice shower with the hose instead?

Have you been putting the popbottle icecubes in the water buckets this year like last year? I remember the boys playing bobbing for bottles. Laughing
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

The creek is on the other side of the fence, and it's a tiny creek. It would be just enough to get their toes wet. They prefer showers anyway. The Arab blood seems to keep them out of the water. I wonder if they would take to swimming if they were at a place with a pond and horses who liked to swim. I knew quite a few of those when I was a kid. They would wallow in the pond and then we'd ride them to the big park and go swimming with them in the BIG lake.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 am

They might, the other horses would show them swimming is safe and fun. The boys are smart enough to learn fast, they'd be swimming to cool off in no time if they had access to a nice pond.

(I'm picturing horses lounging around the pond like peoples in a hot tub..............)
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 pm

I don't know anybody with a pond on their farm. I am sure they would at least consider wading.

Do you think I'd have to buy them some tanning lotion and beach towels?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 am

Hmmmm, maybe if you were willing to rub the lotion on for them......... What a Face
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Ok... He's lumpy again. I think he's allergic to fly and gnat bites. I have him back on Benedryl and will put a fly sheet on him tomorrow. I hate those things, but at this point I've got to do something. The poor guy ITCHES. I curried him for about half an hour tonight and it felt so good that he nibbled on the wall. He would have nibbled on another horse if one was close by. Horses will scratch each other, but since he knows better than to nibble me, he chose the wall. It was cute even though I felt so sorry for him.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:08 pm

oh the ol nibble while your human itches routine..i know that well! (salem is big on that..will lick my arm raw when i'm itchin' him ...but if there are special spots i hit he will start to nibble on me! thankfully kitty teeth aren't as bad as horse teeth).

What is a flysheet? is it sort of like a bed sheet you put over him to keep the flies away?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 am

I think so, I hope they work too for Envoy's sake. Is there some sort of wipe you can put on his legs to keep the flies off? I seem to remember they have those for horses somewhere, no idea how much they cost though.

((((((((((((((((((HEALING AND ANTI-ITCHING VIBES))))))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 pm

There are several repellant sprays and wipes. I use an organic one, but think I might go the chemical route since that kind of stuff lasts longer. I don't like doing it, but sometimes, you have to pull out the big guns. Fortunately, the chemical stuff is made from plant-based chemicals that come from flowers. They just have some extra things in them. I can't use sprays with oils in them because they seem to irritate my horses' skin. So, it's UltraShield for us. It isn't terribly expensive, but it's more than I want to pay.

The weather has improved a lot, and Envoy's lumps seem to be going down. He's still itchy, so I got some Benedryl spray for him. That really does seem to help. So, he gulps down the pills and gets sprayed. Maybe I should buy stock at the rate he's using the stuff.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:48 am

Any chance of getting a bulk rate if you buy it in a bigger can (?) bucket (?)

Probably should've invested in the horseshoe manufactering industry since Sabi goes through so many of them.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Envoy is acting weird when we ride. I have a fly sheet cover for riding -- goes from ears to tail with a space open for the saddle/girth. I wrap his legs. But, he still bunches up like he's going to explode. I don't know if something is getting in/through the covering or if he's just freaking out because of his lumps. He is well behaved, but the whole ride feels "edge of your seat" -- literally. The weirdest thing is that when I get off, he bolts sideways away from me. He's never done that before. Today, he did that and broke a rein. I am in the habit of holding onto the reins when I get off just in case the horse tries to scoot away. Well, he did and the rein let go. He scared himself and I just fell over. It was hilarious, but still weird. I am going to take him to the trainer's tomorrow so we can ride inside and see if this is just something to do with the bugs outside or if he's learned something new and bad. If it's the new/bad thing, we will spend the hour getting on/off just like people do with just-broke horses.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 pm

He was very well behaved, but pretty uncomfortable. Poor guy. The lumps are just itchy. I think he has a slight fever, but I haven't taken his temperature. I'll do that in the morning. Poor pony. If he doesn't clear up soon, my trainer says I can bring him there. The bugs and plants are slightly different at her place, so maybe a break from whatever is bothering him here is in order. In the meantime, I'm going to give him some vitamins and homeopathic treatments -- as well as his Benedryl. Poor pony.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 pm

That is very strange. Hopefully a change of
scenery will help.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am

Poor Envoy! Those bites must itch mighty powerful to make him act like that! You might have to spray the yard to keep the flies at bay at home. And start using those wipes to keep them off him period. Hope the benedryl makes him more comfy. (benedryl creme right on the bites will help too-I know from personal experience using it on mine)
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:21 pm

I can't spray the yard. The horses eat the grass and I don't want them eating insecticide. So, we're mowing the pastures and hoping that whatever it is goes away. It seems like Envoy is a little better today, but he is terribly itchy. I started him on the vitamins today and am washing him with the Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff. That seems to be soothing.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 am

I hope whatever it is goes away too, Envoy has been through enough with the sores and itchy spots already.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:48 pm

He is getting a little better. I gave him an oatmeal bath today, and I think he feels a little better. The lumps are going down. He might get a good night's sleep. I just hope tomorrow's really hot temps don't irritate anything any more.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm

He actually looks almost cured today. I didn't give him meds since I don't want to over use them. I'll keep him on the vitamins through the summer just to be sure his immune system is working as well as it can. Lumps are almost gone, so I won't be able to call him Lumpy any more.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:04 pm

You'll probably be calling him Frisky if the weather ever cools off. cheers
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Aren't those fly sheets warm for the horses while you're riding 'em or don't horses sweat?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 am

Fly sheets are made out of mesh-y material. They can be warm, but sometimes you have to make a choice between sweat and bites. I try not to use them because my horses destroy them. Since they are mesh-y, a good horse roll or a game of bite and run just tears the sheets to bits. No reason to spend good money on trash, right? I do have a "sheet" that I use for riding. It has a hood that goes over the horse's head and covers his neck/chest. It has another piece that drapes over his rear and covers the back end up to the saddle. The only part that sticks out is where the saddle goes. My only complaints with the thing is that it's black -- which flies find fascinating -- and that sometimes flies get UNDER it. That makes for Mr. Toad's wild ride.

Lumps are pretty much gone. Envoy is happily not scratching himself. I'm keeping up the vitamins and fly spray regimen, I hope whatever this has been is gone. Another flare up might just be too much.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Could it have been deer flies. They leave a nasty sting
and it hurts like the dickens.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down