Seraphina comes in from the cold

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seraphina comes in from the cold

Post by gbste on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:45 pm

We believe that Seraphina followed a neighborhood "cat about town" to our garage. We saw her on Sunday and set a trap. Problem was that she's so small that the trap wouldn't trigger. We saw her Monday through Wednesday, and we kept setting the trap. She kept going in and eating the food, and the trap kept staying open. Yesterday after school I set a different trap and adjusted it on a hair trigger, and we got her! She's pretty wild, and she has a small injury near her left eye, and both eyes are "goopy." I left her in a large cat carrier last night, with food, water, comfy bed, and litterbox. She's eating like a champion, and figured out the litterbox this morning. I burrito wrapped her this morning, cleaned up her eyes, and put in some eye gel. I only got a couple of minor scratches in the process. Rolling Eyes

Seraphina (I took a name suggestion from the other thread about the kittens left on my doorstep) is a pretty little girl. She's a mostly white calico with short hair. She loves Dorian, the neighborhood cat, and is interested in the other foster kittens who came by to stare at her. I need to work with her and calm her down a little, then she needs vaccine and ear mite treatment. We got her before a big cold front arrived, so that's a relief. This afternoon we're going to set up a heated shelter for Dorian Grey, the neighborhood cat and for E.B White, the huge stray cat (with a collar!) that's been living on our front porch for some time.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Seraphina comes in from the cold

Post by fiffur on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 pm

I have no doubt you'll work you usual wonders with this little one. And when she finds out just how cold it got outside she'll be grateful you caught her when you did.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Gbste, all in one post, you break my heart and make it soar. Thank you for everthing you do for these little (and big) ones!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Kevin moved the small igloo house that Dorian liked last winter into the garage. E.B. runs Dorian off now, so he hangs in the back instead of on the front porch. I put together a little shelter for E.B., but the little doghouse heater a friend gave me does not fit into it, so for tonight I put it into a large cat carrier and wrapped the carrier in a vinyl tablecloth to keep the wind out. We'll shop for a little insulated house that the heater can fit into on Sunday. The local feed store is advertising a small heated cat house, but since we already have the heater, I think we'll just get a house. There's a tote box shelter that E.B. likes, but I don't know how warm that will be with the cold snap we're supposed to get.

Seraphina purred a little this afternoon from inside her burrito wrap, but she made up for it by hissing at me later. Her eyes look a little better. She won't get much attention tomorrow because I have to take the swimmer kittens to the petfair, but she'll get plenty of time after that. A new (to us) cat rescue has agreed to take 2 of them, and we have some good applications, so we might not have any of the boys after tomorrow. Sad
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:11 am

Just now catching up with this. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

I know you'll miss the swimmer kittens....you've had them for quite a while but now they can find their forever homes. You gave them a good start. But Seraphina needs you now, and it seems she's slowly coming around already. Purring is a good start. The hiss was to remind you she thinks she's still in control here. Little does she realize your idea is better than hers....indoors is much better than freezing your lil tushy off in the cold.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Very Happy Couldn't have said it better.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Here are a couple of "arm out" pictures of Seraphina. She looks pretty big in the pics, but I think she's only about two and a half pounds.

gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

She is beautiful. I love you
Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm

What a precious girl.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Oh, she's lovely. Very like my Mya in coloring. I can see where her eyes have drained, and she's still got a bit of inner lid showing (tho that might be more the camera flash?) but her eyes look pretty good.

If she let you take 2 arm-out pics, she must feel pretty secure on your lap. Very Happy
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

She sure is an adorable little kit! Love the way she's marked, and what a sweet face! cat
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 pm

You did a really good job with her eyes! cheers
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Yesterday afternoon and this morning Seraphina had some time in the bathroom with her crate door open. She mostly stayed in her crate, but she did do some exploring, and she got to stretch her legs a little. She has stopped hissing (for the most part) when I pick her up, and she's becoming a world champion purrer.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow, progress by leaps and bounds in the snuggle department! Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 pm

A little knee-jerk hissing never hurt anyone, especially when followed with plenty of happy purrs. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 am

Last night she was brave enough to run around in the bathroom and even knock some things off the counter. She's taking a step away from being a 'fraidy cat.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I have a feeling cute kitten shenanigans are soon to follow! Very Happy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Who can find that Mutts strip with Mooch knocking the vase off the dresser? Fif? I don't know what compels cats to do that! Shocked Well, in Weezer's case I DO know. It means she wants my attention, front & center, right now! But that's because I always present myself, front & center, to scold her. Like she cares what I say! Rolling Eyes

Sounds like Miss Fina is finding her feet. I love you cat I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 am

She's really funny. When she's loose in the bathroom, she'll dart into her crate as soon as we open the door, but then she sits right by the crate door purring. She likes to be picked up and snuggled, but she's a little bit afraid of us when we're standing upright and walking.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 pm

She'll get used to the size difference soon enough. Is it possible someone your size really scared her when she was outside wandering? That could leave lingering trauma for her to overcome.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Who knows what might have happened to her before we caught her. Lots of people will do things to scare away stray cats and kittens, so she may have had things thrown at her or people may have shouted at her. It may just be that she didn't spend any time with people so she doesn't know how we move or the sounds we make. The world inside the crate is comfy and warm. Outside the crate, she never knows what to expect. I walked her out to the kitchen and back last night, and she was very ready to get back to her crate afterward.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I think I found that strip for you Suzzzz......it was under Mutts favorites in the pick a print. Feb. 2, 2003
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

Seraphina had a big adventure yesterday. I left her crate open so that she would be able to move around in the bathroom during the day. Kevin had a "senior moment" and left the bathroom door and the bedroom door both open. Seri got into the bedroom and hid. Kevin couldn't find her, so she remained hidden until I got home from school. I finally located her under my dresser. Instead of coming to me, she hunkered down and hissed at me, so I had to get a broomstick and encourage her to vacate the hiding place. Kevin was supposed to watch where she went (as I was down on the floor) but he didn't see where she went for some reason. After 30 minutes of searching, I located her behind my nightstand, still being a hissy spitty kitty. I had to grab her with a welding glove, but once I had her she reverted to purrs. I'm hoping that Kevin remembers to shut some doors today.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Rolling Eyes lol!
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down