Lumpy Envoy

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lumpy Envoy

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 pm

I don't know what happened, but Envoy is all lumpy. He might have gotten into ground bees. His right front legs is swollen and has sores on it. He has lumps all over the front of his body. I've given him Benedryl, and it seems to be helping. Poor guy. He looks terrible and he's ITCHY. Poor guy. I'm going to keep an eye on him. If he isn't better in a few days, I'll call the vet. I think he could use some steroid shots if he isn't improving.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: Lumpy Envoy

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Poor guy is right. I don't know what to suggest
for something like that.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Are all the stingers out? If not they need to be removed. I think the steroid shot might do a world of good for Envoy. If he's that bumpy with stings a few doses of benedryl probably won't be quite enough to deal with it. Poor baby.

(((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:06 pm

I'd certainly call the vet and ask about Benadryl doses. Poor Envoy! He obviously got into something! Shocked
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Oh... The vet and I have discussed Benadryl often in the past. It's a fairly standard medicine for pony allergic reactions. 10 pills is a normal horse dose. That seems to be doing the job for his body lumps. He is almost unlumpy now. A few more days should clear everything up.

Unfortunately, his leg remains swollen and I think the sores are infected. I gave him a Betadine bath to loosen the scabs and get some antibacterial medicine on the leg. It's acting like a regular infection, and I think I got ahold of it early enough that he won't need pills. If he isn't better by tomorrow, I will definitely call the vet about the whole thing. The vet has some prescription shampoo for things like this. It's like a bad case of scratches, but it's been too dry here for me to suspect that. I am kind of sure it will all clear up on its own, but it's never a bad idea to get a professional opinion on icky sores. They are GROSS.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:53 pm

That is a major under statement. YUCK CITY!!!!
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 am

Poor Envoy, I hope the betadine bathing does the trick. Do you have antibiotic creme to put on those sores too? That would help clear them up IMHO.
(((((((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm

His legs are looking a bit better. I'm going to keep bathing until the sores clear all the way up, but the Betadine did help. I got some Dermaplast spray to put on the sores since it's antibacterial and soothing. I was afraid that cream would just draw dirt into it. The spray goes on and dries pretty quickly. I hope that it also helps dry up the sores. I just hope he feels better on his legs soon. The weather is supposed to get nicer, and it would be nice to ride. But, no riding until he isn't swollen.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 am

Wise precaution. I agree the spray is more suited to horses lifestyles than creme would be. Have you found where the ground bees were (if that's what he got into)? If he found them once, he could stumble onto them again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Some infection came out (EEEEEWWWW!) and the swelling is down. I actually rode for a while today. I think that helped a little. The circulation increases, which takes the infection away and moves the good blood around, so I'll try to get at least a half hour in every day. I'm still washing and spraying. Hopefully this will clear up soon. It's just too gross for words.

I didn't find any bee nests, It could have been anything. Wasps... Bees... Even flies can get into attack mode. Who knows. I think the pastures are safe though. There hasn't been anything else since the bad day, so I hope we're safe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 pm

I think things are clearing up. The leg still looks kind of gross without any hair, but the sores are mostly clear and there's no ooze now. I put some diaper rash cream on the leg to keep it from drying up and getting all crusty. It seemed to soothe things. We just have no clue what he got into.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm

I hope you somehow figure out what it was, so this won't happen again to Envoy or the other boys. At least the infection is clearing up and now just needs to heal closed and new hair. Are you still giving him the benedryl or something to stop itching? Stuff like that itches like crazy while it's healing.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

It was definitely an allergic reaction to something, but we can't find anything. I can only assume it was some kind of bugs. The horse flies are awful, and we do have bees and wasps. I haven't seen any nests of evil bugs, but some of them just fly around visiting the flowers, so maybe he got into something like that. We have Virginia creeper vines in the pastures, and they are popular with wasps and humming birds.

He is completely un-lumpy now, so that part is all better. His leg seems cured by some Desitin. He still needs to grow his hair, but the sores and scabs seem to be healing right up.

Thank goodness this is almost over!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 am

Desitin is almost a wonder drug! Much more useful than it's creators ever intended........glad to hear the sores are nearly gone. Let's hope this doesn't happen again.

carrots all around: >>>>>())))))))))> >>>>>()))))))))))> >>>>>()))))))))))))>
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you, Auntie Fiffur. I do love carrots. -Envoy
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you, Auntie Fiffur. I do love carrots. -Envoy
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, not that Envoy's fully recovered, we're back to riding. Short rides because of the temperatures, but I'm definitely improving my tan -- even with sun screen. Today's ride was watched over by a HUGE blue heron. As we were trotting around the pasture, I heard a weird noise in the woods. Envoy put on the breaks and stared into the woods. He was a good boy and kept trotting on. Then, an enormous bird took off from the creek and landed in the trees to watch us. Then the brakes definitely went on and Envoy's eyes just about popped out of his head. Again, he was a very good boy. No bolting and no freaking out. He just stopped and looked into the trees.

I know we have a resident heron, but he's usually in a different pasture. It was just weird to have such a big and noisy visitor during our ride. Fortunately, he wasn't scary, just weird.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

oh man a heron flying up in front of ya can freak even a human out!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 pm

A stunning moment for both of you. Hey, all three of you! Beautiful.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Glad to hear Envoy didn't freak out at that big of a bird flying so close while you were out for a ride. They're big enough to spook anybody, peoples included, when they come out of the woods suddenly like that. I know how big a Blue Heron can be, we had one stop over in Rockton 2 summers ago on migration. Biggest bird I've ever seen in my life. Guess your visitor was curious about you and Envoy and wanted a closer look.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:19 pm

We have herons all year long. This one lives in our back pasture and does fly into trees all the time. I hardly ever hear him making noise and they are pretty noisy birds when they start to talk. I guess we must have lots of fish in the creek behind our property because herons don't hang out where there are no fish.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 am

We don't have them year-round, but we do see both the Great Blue Heron and the Snowy Egret quite a bit here at work in the good weather. I had two Snowy's fly past me this morning on their way to the pond. They are a sight to behold. Sometimes we see 10-12 of them up in the trees at once. Odd to see such a large bird perch in a tree.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I've only seen one the one time, and it was on the creek bank resting. Was only here for two days, a stopping poiint on it's migration route apparently. But folks have said they've seen them all summer long a few miles downstream............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

They are all over here. People take them for granted. They really are very majestic. We have bald eagles, herons, egrets, pelicans, all kinds of marsh birds, and my favorites, the hummies. Envoy seems to have a pet hummy. It zooms by Envoy's stall when I'm turning out in the morning.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

How cute! A lil hummy to keep him company. Very Happy Whatever happened to his pet bunny?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum