My journey to better health

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My journey to better health

Post by bpaquet on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 pm

I've never heard of powdered egg whites. It sounds like scary Army food from M.A.S.H. There they are on Google though. I wonder why the recipe calls for them and not the real thing.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 am

They have powdered egg whites at places like Michael's, which is a hobby store, because cake decorators use it a lot.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 pm

No way am I paying their prices for it there. Guess I'll have to pass on that particular recipe. I have no idea why they won't let you use a regular egg white instead of powder, maybe it won't turn out right or something.

Making my meatloaf again and trying the tweaks I have in mind. Should be good.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Well nothing says meatloaf like a fresh chili, if you don't have fresh, then
tinned will do.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:33 pm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=powdered+egg+whites

Here is the Amazon list of powdered egg whites too. As for Michael's, I don't know the prices, but they do sometimes have good percentage off coupons. I don't go there often, so I don't use them, but I've seen them in the paper.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Hmm... It must be for structure in the recipe. If you remember it, post or share a link. Maybe we can come up with substitutions. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 am

looking for whey protein...i've never seen it in small quanities...they have it as Trader Joes as well as those other places ..but i've only seen it in pretty big containers and not cheap. probably because its usually used in drink that weight lifters and sports folks use to build themselves up. BUT if you intend to use it a lot then its worth getting cuz it might last a while.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 pm

It takes the place of flour in quite a few decent sounding recipes in the Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook, especially for noodles and bread. I do think it's for texture and stability. God how I miss noodles.......

My meatloaf recipe is now perfected as much as I can get it. It's so moist it falls apart a bit despite being cooked in the microwave. Even the visiting nurses at my mom's building were surprised I cook it that way, and how low carb I got it by using almond flour instead of crackers and low carb ketchup (you would not know it was low carb by the taste!). They also liked the BGL readings I've had lately.....said they were all in the normal range and I might not be considered prediabetic anymore. Still, I know those numbers would skyrocket again into the prediabetic range and stay there if I ate like everyone else.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Okay, here's one recipe that calls for the powdered egg white, and I really want to try it out since it's used for making lowcarb tasty stuffing for chicken and turkey. I'm posting it as I found it online:

This is a gluten-free bread I make to use as an ingredient in low-carb stuffing for turkey or chicken. It can also be a stovetop type of thing, but is better if it at least bakes for a little while. I also use it as a casserole topping, if I have some leftover.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups almond meal
1/3 cup powdered egg whites (these are optional, but create a dryer bread which is less likely to get soggy. If you don't use the powdered, add an extra egg and use 1/3 cup water instead of 1/2 cup)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning, such as Bell's Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
sugar substitute equal to 2-3 teaspoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F.
Butter the bottom of a large loaf pan - if desired, line the bottom with parchment paper and butter or oil that as well.
1) Mix dry ingredient together (a whisk works well).
2) Add wet ingredients and mix well.
3) Pour into loaf pan.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until top is lightly browned (if you insert a toothpick into the loaf and it comes out clean, you can remove it from the oven.)
When cool enough to handle, remove from pan and break into large chunks. Let cool. At this point, I like to leave it out to dry for a few hours, or put it in a low oven. You can cut it into cubes first, if you'd like, or after it dries out a bit.

and one for cranberry bread that sounded soooo good:

Cranberry Nut Bread - Sugar Free, Low Carb
Great holiday bread, or for any time! Powdered egg whites are the key for giving it structure, but it's OK without it. (Tip: If you end up using a lot of egg whites, a less expensive source is to use egg white marketed as protein powder.) Do try the variation with cheese - it's really delicious, though unusual.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Ingredients:
2 cups whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
1/3 cup powdered egg white
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar equivalent with artificial sweetener (liquid forms of Splenda work well
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
3 eggs
3/4 cup water
Optional: 1/2-1 C chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 F.

1) Butter the bottom of a large loaf pan. You can butter around a little way up the side, but don't go too far. To make sure all goes well when taking the bread out of the pan, I like to put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom and then butter that as well.
2) Roughly chop the cranberries or pulse in a food processor. As a rough guide, each cranberry is in 2-4 pieces. Don't go finer or they get "lost" - they shrink during cooking.
3) Mix the dry ingredients together (almond meal, egg white, baking powder, salt, sweetener if it's powdered).
4) Add the wet ingredients (liquid sweetener, melted butter, eggs, water). Mix well. (You don't have to worry about overmixing, as you would with regular flour.)
5) Pour batter into pan and bake about 40-50 minutes, until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

Variation: Cranberry Cheese Bread Add 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded white sharp cheddar cheese. Yum!
Makes 16 servings, each with 2.5 grams effective carbohydrate, 2.5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 164 calories.

and something I'm really craving right now that uses whey protein powder, donuts!

LOW CARB DOUGHNUTS
They taste like doughnuts, and you fry them up like doughnuts, but the texture of this treat is much lighter - somewhere between a traditional doughnut and a popover. Unfortunately, they don't keep well -- plan to eat them within a few hours of making them.
Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup whey protein powder (Vanilla works well. I used Designer Protein when I made these.)
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg (rounded)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 2 Tbsp heavy cream
• 1 egg
• 2 Tbsp water
• 1/4 cup sugar equivalent in a substitute (I used a liquid for zero carbs)
• Oil (for frying)
• For Topping:
• 3 packets powdered sugar substitute, such as Splenda
Pinch cinnamon
1. Mix sweetener with cinnamon, and set aside.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together. Whisk egg with other wet ingredients, add to dry ingredients, and whisk to combine well.
3. Fill a deep skillet, cast-iron pan, or dutch oven with about 1½ inches of oil and heat. I find that using a fry/candy thermometer that clips onto the side of the pan is helpful for determining when the oil is ready, but you can estimate by dropping small amounts of the batter in -- it should sizzle fairly vigorously.
4. When oil reaches around 350 to 360 F, drop tablespoon-sized amounts of batter into the oil. The batter will spread and puff up. If you let the oil go higher than about 375 F, the batter will fry quickly, leaving you with more of a funnel cake than a doughnut. (This, of course, is not a big tragedy.)
5. When the underside browns (about a minute, give or take 20 seconds for temperature variation), turn the doughnut. In another 30 to 45 seconds, it will be ready to remove. I like cooling them on a cake rack sitting in a sheet pan. If you place them on paper towels, be sure not to let them sit too long, as they will lose their crunchy outside.
6. Sprinkle sweetener and cinnamon mixture over both sides of the doughnuts.
Makes 12 doughnuts, each about 2½ inches in diameter.
Nutritional Information: Each serving has less than a gram effective carbohydrate and 2 grams protein. Each doughnut has 26 calories, prior to frying (total calories per doughnut is dependent on the amount of oil absorbed.)

fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Weighed myself at my mom's appt on Friday......another 7# gone. I've lost 28 so far......and my sis still hasn't noticed!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm

I've noticed that if my BGL is a bit high I'm about to have a migraine........and I had an optical one last night. Thankfully I headed it off at the pass with 2 advil and a caffeine pill. Vision cleared up just in time to cook my dinner, and the please-kill-me headache didn't show up.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Finally got myself a binder and some page protectors so I can somewhat organize all the recipes I've pulled up off the 'net. So far only two categories: tried and not tried yet. After I get a bunch that I've tried then maybe I'll organize by type.

I may try one for BBQ sauce next, I'm craving some BBQ wings.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm

I think I lost a couple more pounds, not sure since I haven't weighed myself this month. Wouldn't be too surprised from all the shoveling I did last month at work. No idea how many calories that burned off but it has to be quite a few.
Perfected my orange-ginger sauce and barbecue sauce recipes. Strange thing is: even though the sauce and the meal itself is low enough in carbs to be below my meal limit, I still am spiking about 10-20 pts higher than I expected postmeal. I have no idea why, it makes no sense. scratch
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:39 pm

I will definitely be spiking tomorrow morning: mom is taking me to a biscuits and sausage gravy breakfast and I am expected to 'eat up'. Was told "you're going off your diet for one meal". Any bets on how high my spike turns out to be from the biscuits?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm

OMG! One of my FAVORITE things. Biscuits and gravy... mmmmm.... I think it was probably worth the spike. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks, Becky now I've got my mouth set for that.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I did extremely well on those biscuits and gravy. I was actually amazed and surprised. Started out at 89, which is kinda high for me first thing in the morning considering I skipped my usual prebed snack to make sure I was low. Had one big split biscuit with lots of sausage gravy (which was very yummy!), along with a goodsized fruit cup, milk, and not one but two, count 'em, two mini muffin sized brownies! Very Happy Went to the grocery store with mom and her watch alarm didn't go off. So my postmeal BGL check was 3 1/2 hours later: 70. Shocked I could've had another biscuit with gravy!!!

Found a cheaper source for orange extract online (amazon.com believe it or not): 16 oz bottle for less than $9. Guess what I'm getting with part of my gift certificate I earned filling out surveys?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm

A few more pounds gone.......now I can actually see my THIGHS getting smaller. Haven't had the courage to check out the rear view yet in the mirror.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:16 pm

My numbers have been running a bit high the past few days, I'm waking up in the mid 90's. Quite unusual for me anymore, no idea why unless it's the near constant headache I've had with this pressure system.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Another 3# gone......the weight loss is slowing down yet I have another 25# to go to hit my goal
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Still that's great Fif, that was and is a lot of work. Rock On
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

I know.....and my mom is still amazed I haven't fallen off the lowcarb diet wagon or eaten a lot of chocolate. I never thought I'd have this much willpower either.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 pm

It's not as much will power but the fact that you educated yourself and found foods
that tasted good, along with satisfied cravings.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I know......I've found my tastebuds have changed in these past months. Soup I used to love doesn't taste good to me anymore.

Gotta try this 3 minute chocolate cake recipe I found. You make it in the microwave and it's only 7 carbs and 2 servings worth of cake, so not much leftover to tempt you later in the middle of the night.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 pm

That sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum