My journey to better health

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My journey to better health

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Chili's, don't forget chili's. Anaheim's, are great.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 am

Love the chili peppers. I'm not sure they have many in Fiff's area of the country. But, if the peppers are there, Anaheims are very tasty, as Sue says. Dried ones work well if you soak them in warm water for an hour or so before using. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am

Don't forget problanos, those are mild yet tasty. You can get them tinned but
fresh is better.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 am

Poblanos and onions chopped up and lightly sautéed in scrambled eggs with mild cheese (I like queso fresco if I can find it). YUM! Top with salsa. YUM YUM!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 am

Drooly Drooly Drooly Drooly Drooly
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:54 pm

I had onions, garlic, italian seasoning, a touch of salt, tomato sauce, worcheshire........but it must be the lack of the unique taste of ketchup that kept it from being good. Fortunately, I found some at Walmart of all places......Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup. Only 1 carb per TB as compared to everyone elses 5-10 carbs. That might make a difference. I can skip the tomato sauce and add ketchup instead to the next one and see how it tastes. Not cheap though, a small bottle cost me $2.50! Seems it only comes in the 13 oz size. But I don't use a lot of ketchup so it will last me a while, so maybe not so bad on the budget.

Found 2 recipes that look promising: I'm thinking the second one might be the better one, what do you in Muttsland think?

Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce
This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement. It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making more.

3/8 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.

ADRIANA’S LOW CARB BARBECUE SAUCE

I've tried several different brands of BBQ sauce since starting low carb and while there have been several that have been quite good, this homemade one totally rocks! Use it on chicken, baby back ribs, or like I did on brisket. It's really really good and although the ingredients sound a bit strange, I promise it tastes amazing!

Ingredients:

1 cup Heinz reduced sugar ketchup
1 cup Diet Rite or another Diet soda that is sweetened with Splenda. (It has to be sweetened with Splenda or it'll turn out bitter because of the aspartame in other sodas.)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder (or more if you like it spicy)
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Worsterschire sauce
black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl wisk all ingredients together until smooth.
2. In a medium saucepan simmer sauce on medium low heat for 15 minutes. It will reduce and become thicker.

*** I didn't use any extra sweetener because the ketchup and the diet rite are sweetened with Splenda and that's plenty sweet for a BBQ sauce.

You will get 8 servings at 1/4 cup each.
Net carbs per serving: 2.43
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

My landlady noticed my weight loss when I came in to start my recert paperwork (another 7# gone since late Nov--total of 21# in 3 months!) and asked for some of my recipes. She's big and diabetic, and can't seem to lose the weight. I let her copy the ones I've actually tried and liked. Have several more to try out for basics like dumplings for chicken n dumplings, low carb muffins, low carb biscuits, and cheddar bread for one.

Mom had multiple dr appts Monday. Found out she's been in the prediabetes range for blood tests the past 5 years! Her fasting was as high as 122. Apparently he said something but she forgot or wasn't listening. I was right when I told her she shouldn't be eating the stuff she does. By not eating stuff I can't have while I'm there, she eats it later if she remembers..........she's managed to lose 5# since last year. I weighted myself and was not all that surprised I'd lost some more, just wasn't expecting it to have been that much. NO wonder my underwear and pants keep falling down. Shocked I'm hoping at this rate maybe to drop another 10# by summer.

I've found out I actually prefer making chicken n veggies with the alaking in a can rather than putting the alaking on noodles. Takes a bit longer but tastes so much better....and better for me.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm

That's great, Fif. Glad to hear your Mom has lost a little
weight, something is better than nothing.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Amen to that and the doc as much as said so...though he did mention she should lose some more weight if she can. It would be better for her arthritic joints and her BGL. She's getting a meter and strips now but her insurance coverage will only pay for 30 strips a month, to test once a day. They'll only pay for more IF she's a fullblown diabetic on meds. If she wants to test more often than that she has to pay for the rest herself and it adds up quickly. I'm spending $30+ on strips a month for myself and I test 4x day.

Yesterday my numbers never rose above 100 for the 2 hour postmeal test. Is that too low? I had my usual oatmeal before work, milk with a one-slice braunschweiger sandwich after my morning shift, a granola bar at the library, a one-slice peanutbutter sandwich for lunch, a huge salad with ham and all the veggie goodies for dinner, plus a large orange and a chocolate pudding cup before bedtime. I'm basically eating about every 2- 2 1/2 hours throughout the day. I woke up to a 69 today. Definitely finding wiggle room with better numbers now that I'm a bit thinner.

Becky, if I can drop 20# with little effort just by watching my diet, you can drop that much too. Usually my fat and I are such good friends not a single pound wants to leave!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Well, I was doing good for a while there. Ate 35 carbs worth of ramen and it somehow shot my BGL up so much. It shouldn't have done that since the carb count is below what I can handle in a meal but it did anyway. I have a feeling it's just because of that type of noodles. Question
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Check the ramen pack. Does it say it has 2 servings per pack? (Haahaa! I lived on ramen in college, and a pack does NOT have 2 servings that would fill you up.) Also, ramen noodles are deep fried to dry them out, so there are tons of added calories, and all the processed stuff is bound to hide some sneaky carbs. Sometimes, though, isn't is JUST the ticket? Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 pm

I hear you there. Went for my follow up appointment today. Down a few pounds and
my blood pressure was 130/81. Doctor was very happy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm

That's good news Sue! I imagine you were happy too when you saw those numbers. Keep up the new diet and you might be surprised at the readings next time you go to the dr.'s office. Low carb seems to work well for weight loss....nothing really processed so fewer chemicals. I just read that high fructose corn syrup shuts off your body's 'I'm full' signals. Not all sugar is processed the same by the body. So that corn sugar commercial where they say "sugar is sugar" isn't all that true.

The ramen I had was a two serving size (maruchan) but I cut it in half to cook it and only used half the seasoning, I think it's just the wheat noodles. Just can't seem to handle them in any form.

fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Fif, to quote Garfield, the word diet is nothing more than the word
die with a t.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Ain't that the truth!
Will be trying chicken and almond flour dumplings for dinner tonight. Will let you know how those dumplings turn out.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Tonight's supper was red beans and rice.

Canned kidney beans
Green pepper (chopped)
onion (chopped)
Celery (chopped)
cayenne, garlic powder, salt, dry oregano
Turkey sausage (sliced)

It's pretty good for you and very filling. I made brown rice since I really like it. This tastes really good with white rice too.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 am

That does sound good.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, but I can't handle much rice at all. Crying or Very sad

Those dumplings were a bust. Gotta find a different low carb recipe.....these were heavy, dry, and tasted funny...not like regular dumplings at all. And it raised me 52 pts! Found another one that uses whipped egg whites, the yolks, and cream cheese with a touch of splenda. That might work better, we'll see when I attempt this again. I miss chicken and dumplings. Good thing I was super low before I ate last night (53), otherwise I'd have been in the stratosphere again. Despite still being in the normal range postmeal I know that big of a spike isn't good for me. **sigh**
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I did extremely well on my pizza in a bowl Saturday night, only went up 1 pt! Half of the bowl was zucchini cooked in the sauce so maybe that helped.
This morning however the stress of getting out of my parking lot at home, dealing with the snow AT work, and trying to find a clear way to the library since the main roads were only half plowed never mind the side roads raised me quite a bit more than I should've been on oatmeal.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Got to consult with a visiting nurse yesterday and showed her my logbook. She looked it over and said I was doing very well and she had doubts I was prediabetic at all because the numbers looked so good. Only a few spikes here and there. Said going through menapause will mess with my numbers too (like I hadn't noticed). So I guess so far so good.
Found a new lowcarb recipe that's supposed to be an almost cooks-the-same-as Bisquick baking mix. Maybe then I can finally have some decent dumplings for chicken and dumplings, as well as pancakes, tortillas, you name it. Just as soon as I can find a source for whey protein powder I can mix up a batch and try it out.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm

You might a health food shop or on line.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm

If you have a GNC close by, they probably carry it too.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

I ship container loads of whey protein to japan every month. LOL Any healthfood store will have it, as well as major drug store chains, I'd bet eve Walmart carries it
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:16 pm

You know I think they do.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Do you think they'd carry it in the unflavored? The recipes I have call for unflavored, and unflavored has a lot less carbs in it. It subs for some of the flour normally in recipes, and the rest is almond flour. I found a small bag of it at Woodmans' but it was not even a pound and cost over $10. To say I was shocked at the price is an understatement. Also found a small bag of vital wheat gluten flour (that has a lot of the carbs taken out of it compared to regular flour), also expensive.
But at least now I can try that different recipe for dumplings and try a batch chicken and dumplings again next week.

I'm also looking for powdered egg white but can't find it anywhere around here. Some places call it meringue powder and it seems Woodmans' and Walmart do not carry it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum