Phantom and Shadow (The fiends from the farm)

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Phantom and Shadow (The fiends from the farm)

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Sounds normal to me. In answer to the question about high places, well they are
just taking after their wild cousins.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:29 pm

They all think they are tigers. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Bob wrote:Aaaarrrggghh. I love them to bits, but as a (mainly) dog person I have to wonder how people cope with cats.
They're a law unto themselves. Twisted Evil
Why do they always have to be at the highest spot in the room? Rolling Eyes
Why do they insist on walking across the table and checking out your meal? Shocked
And why oh why do we have a mad half hour when they go absolutely ape and run at each other, play fight and then play leap frog around the room? affraid
They are weird

ROTFL

You know you've already answered all your questions right off the bat -- cat's are a law unto themselves! By which I mean they follow their own wild nature instead of our domesticated one. tongue But to specifics:

> They find the highest spot because cats understand it's safer to look down to observe (cats are big on observing) than be caught on the ground. Plus they have a definite defensive and/or attack advantage from up there, should circs warrant.

> They stroll across the table and sniff your food because they can. (Yes, the dogs are jealous.)

> They play and fight because they're still kittens! Don't tell me how old they are, they're still kittens. Don't worry, they'll get fat and lazy soon enough. In the meantime, enjoy the amazing feline acrobatics!

I'll just end this dissertation by saying enjoy the show! Very Happy
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:12 pm

I have found over the years that people who call themselves (mainly) dog people - or mainly cat people - begin to lose that distinction when they finally give in and welcome the other animal into their family. I was always a cat person. Now I may lean slightly that way, but the pups have found a very secure place in my heart.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Then there are people like me....I love kitties best but I also love dogs, bunnies, and lots of other furry critters, as well as feathered ones. Basically I'm an animal person! My mom calls me an 'animal nut'. I call me a 'petnut'.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm

fiffur wrote:Then there are people like me....I love kitties best but I also love dogs, bunnies, and lots of other furry critters, as well as feathered ones. Basically I'm an animal person! My mom calls me an 'animal nut'. I call me a 'petnut'.

Actually, that's me too. I've always leaned toward the feline, but I love all critters, great and small. Well...not bugs...but I wouldn't harm them either.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 pm

I've caught plenty of bugs over the years and I usually practice catch and release back into the wild. Bij finds that interesting....especially if I release outside his window where he can watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few other furkids found Bob and adopted him! Sometimes it works out better when the furkid chooses you rather than the other way around.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:54 pm

That's pretty much what happened with Phantom and Shadow Fif.
I do love all animals (always have) and when I said Mainly a dog person it is because we, as a family, have always had dogs. My cousin has always had cats until they took in a very large, shaggy hearth rug named Jake (sadly no longer with us), and when I visited I inevitably ended up with Jake leaning against my legs and one of two cats purring contentedly on my lap.
I adopted four cats that lived in my rear garden ( a mother and three kittens) some years back. I even adapted the garden shed so that they had access to a sleeping room in it and I could change the bedding from within. I have some photographs of them somewhere I'll try to dig them out.
As to getting more animals, I don't think that is an option. Space is at a premium and I keep tripping over Chihuahuas anyway. While Beryl tolerates them (even when they walk across the table while we're eating) and was seen last night rubbing Shadow's tummy Smile she still prefers dogs. Embarassed
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:37 am

Space always is an issue, isn't it? I have acres and acres of land, but I ma maxed out for pet space. I would dearly love to have a dog, but space and time are not cooperating. Perhaps Beryl's preference is making up for my lack of a dog? Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Well the cat barriers have been taken down from around the fence. It was a total success while it lasted, but once Phantom made up her mind that she wanted to get out over the back gate that was pretty much it.
Our routine each morning goes as follows.
I come downstairs with Pol and Pippa, greet the assembled Chihuahuas and the two cats. Let them out into the garden and while they're out take my blood pressure tablets (I thought animals were supposed to lower your blood pressure Rolling Eyes ).
Fetch Bunty in (she can't make the steps coming up) and give Angel her heart tablet and her diuretic tablet. They have to be disguised in small slices of meat so needless to say 2 Labs, the other 3 Chis and the 2 cats muscle in on the action and get some meat too.
After that I put a sachet of food down for Phantom and Shadow and start to make my breakfast.
Phantom comes into the kitchen and stands by the door so I let her out into the garden say I'll see you later and close the door on her. She disappears for about an hour then reappears and expects some more breakfast. Shadow meantime along with the Chis and the Labs helps me to eat my toast.
I no longer worry if she goes out for a while as she always comes back now. I can relax and enjoy having the cats.
Phantom cries at the door to be let out and the same when she gets back to be let in again. Marvellous. Very Happy
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Sounds like you (and the kitties) have it down to a science now.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm

It sure does. I wonder if Phantom would use a doorbell to let you know to let her out and back in if she had one available to her? I've seen one cat on tv who does that......it was hilarious. Also, even if you're in another part of the house you can't help but hear that bell....
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum