Phantom and Shadow (The fiends from the farm)

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phantom and Shadow (The fiends from the farm)

Post by Bob on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:01 am

Well we did it.
My little darlings have been spayed and neutered.
Both doing well although they were bouncing off the walls after coming out of the anaesthetic. Phantom especially was like a hyperactive kid that has been given a bowl of sugar to eat. 1:30 this morning she finally settled down to sleep. Yeesh. His lordship (Shadow) decided to spend the night in the hayloft with his brothers Ant and Dec. Bet they laughed at how he now keeps tipping forward. No counterbalance any more. LOL.
Phantom is leaving the wound alone, which is great as I won't have to put one of those horrid lampshade collars on her.
When I took them to the vet for their pre op checkup I was worried. Neither of them has been in a carrier before and they've never been in a car either. However after the initial shock they settled down and watched the intermittent sweep of the windscreen wipers as we drove along. They sat quietly in the carry cage in the waiting room. This started to get me worried too as they aren't used to strangers. I expected them to go off like rockets when the nurse tried to check them.
Amazement followed. Both behaved like perfect angels. Teeth check, no problem. Weight check, no problem. Both sat on the scales very nicely for that. Eye check, still no problem. They were as good as gold.
Only problem occurred as I was bringing them back after the op. I put the cage on the passenger seat of the car. Shut the door and watched in horror as Shadow walked out of the cage and onto the drivers seat. Aaaarrrggghh. I managed to get in with out him getting out and persuaded him back into the cage. Surprisingly the door of the cage was fastened shut so I really don't know how he got out of there.
Anyhow all's well at the moment and long may it remain so.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Phantom and Shadow (The fiends from the farm)

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Hmmmm, you may want to rename him Houdini! Is it possible he managed to unlatch the door, got out, then swung the door shut and it latched? I am very happy to hear they both behaved like angels for the vet.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 pm

I HAD to read this to figure out why they were "fiends" from the farm! Like fif said, Shadow, at least, seems to be a pro-magician! Wink Like a Star @ heaven
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Never underestimate the power of shock. Good as gold = stunned by totally unfamiliar surroundings? Post-op Wild Things = return to normal space? Aw, hell, who knows. Hey, I'll just say, may they always be as docile on their future forays to Planet Vet. As for how Shadow managed to exit from the latched cage, I'll just say that I think he is very he is aptly named. Only The Shadow knows. Wink

So they went back to the farm to recouperate?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Or did they go home with you so Pip and Pol could help keep an eye on them?

Speaking of the farm....how's Portia, the ducks, and that one goose doing?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 am

I still go back to the farm each day to feed Ant and Dec (the hayloft cats). Phantom had a post op check yesterday (Thursday) and is doing well. She has to go back again next Friday to see how she is doing and then hopefully they'll move to their new home.
As to the ducks and geese. Weeellll. When Dave found out I was going to the new house. He decided that he would not be able to manage to let them out in the morning and put them away at night as well as look after the dogs. Strange as I've been doing both both for the last couple of years. Of course Dave has his love life to occupy him so the animals can go.
The ducks, geese, turkeys and chickens have all gone to a new home. The same home as the kittens went to so I know they'll be looked after.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm glad they all got a good home......wish Ant and Dec could've gone with their friends too. I still remember when that one little gosling was sent with all those baby ducks. At least I know they're happy. But you didn't mention what happened to Portia.....is she okay?

Glad to hear Phantom is recuperating nicely from her big girl surgery.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Dave's going to be left with an empty farm soon. Too bad he couldn't have cared more.

Please keep us updated on Phantom and Shadow! What will become of Ant and Dec?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 am

Portia is still doing well and has had no more kittens. I suspect she has started fighting for her honour. (About time too. Very Happy )
Ant and Dec are the unknown quantity. They are okay with me. I can stroke them and of the two Dec is the most friendly, but they vanish if anyone strange comes near. I'd love to be in a position to get them a home too and I'm making enquiries with a couple of the local cat protection groups to see what they can suggest.
Alas Suzzzz, the farm feels dead now. No longer are you treated to the sounds from the collected poultry. Dave cares about nothing but himself, and has admitted that he'd love to concrete over everything. Saddo.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for letting us know Portia is okay, and finally deciding motherhood is a thing of the past for her. Anyway to find her a new home with someone who will love her unique self? I wish you loads of ((((good luck vibes)))) finding a better friendlier place for Dec and Ant.

A farm without animals is just a piece of land with buildings on it. Not a farm IMHO. It would be dead. Dave has no idea what he's lost already.....
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm

What a stupid waste. Wouldn't it be lovely if someone with a bit of vision and a fair bit of money would buy it off him and make something of it? (NOT suggesting you, my friend. I think that ship has sailed.) Then Dave could go to town to debauch himself and maybe find out what he's lost. Fool.

Best of luck getting your own kits home safely and integrated into the new castle keep. Should be interesting fun for the Queen and Princessa, as well as their faithful retainer. Very Happy

Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:23 am

Thought you might like to see Phantom's operation scar. The sparkly bits on her fur are where she went out in the rain and the light of the flash on the camera caught the water droplets on it. Very Happy

Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Awww! Is she a bit upset to be caught half dressed? I hardly see the scar. Great job, vets!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm

What a lovely tiny scar, hardly deserves the name. Ditto Becky, well done, vet! (We'll wait to ask Phantom's opinion in a month or two, when her fur has reestablished a bit. tongue )
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 pm

I can't see the pic, but I have no doubt from the comments your vet did a bangup job!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:08 am

The little minx is trotting about as though nothing has happened. I think I'm more worried about her knocking it than she is. And yes, the vet did a great job (although I think they took off too much fur considering the size of the scar. lol)
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:35 am

Once they feel better, it's like nothing happened. Laughing My experience with kitty surgeries is that they always look too naked for what we see once the surgery is done.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Got the pics.....I can see the vet did a wonderful job. Looks like she won't have much of a scar at all, if she even gets one. It's healing very well. Glad to hear Phantom is her usual energetic self!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Bob wrote: I think they took off too much fur considering the size of the scar.

Dear Uncle Bob:

They always do!!!! ONE little abscessed hole, just ONE, and I felt the breezes chill my ENTIRE SIDE for months!! Evil or Very Mad Tell Cousin Phantom to hang in there, it does grow back, but I really don't know what those vets are thinking. No one who enjoys eating a warm mouse on a cool, misty morning needs to hear any nonsense about sterile fields. Humph.

~Weezer
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:16 am

LOL Weezer.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 pm

I was surprised to see the scar on Phantom's side.......around here the spay scar is on the belly. Anybody else's kitties get it on the side, or the belly?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Interesting question. I honestly don't remember, but now that you mention it, I would have said belly. Different technique across the pond?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm beginning to think so as I'd never seen it done like that before. And my relatives haven't either and they're scattered across 6 states.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:13 am

Well, now the fun really starts. I brought Shadow and Phantom over to the house this morning. Opened the carrycage in the front room. Chihuahuas came to greet them like long lost friends and all was well. Shadow took himself off and hid underneath a bookcase. Phantom went and got in the corner of the room under the dining table.
Eventually Shadow came out of hiding, allowed me to pick him up and got a couple of purrs from him for my trouble. Then he vanished again. Went around the front and back rooms. Looked under the table. Nope still only one cat there. Absolutely no sign of Shadow. Wondered if he'd managed to get into the garden when we took the dogs out for a comfort break. No sign in the garden.
Went upstairs. Crawling around the landing and three bedrooms puss pussing and looking under beds. No sign of him.
Beryl and I came to the conclusion that he had got into the garden (without us noticing. Somehow.) and the cat proofing wasn't all that cat proof. Started to regret bringing them over from the farm. Then, on a whim, I looked in the corner behind the television. The little ******* was fast asleep behind it.
Held Beryl back as she wanted to kill him. Shocked
He's still there as of typing this message.
Neither of them have had a comfort break. The litter tray is in the front room, just hope they know how to use it.
Photos of the fence here for your delectation. Though we still don't know if it really is catproof yet.

Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 am

Okay my merry Muttsketeers. Here's the problem. Two cats. New home. Been here since 8am this morning and the time now is 1:35 pm. Neither of them has shown the slightest interest in the litter tray and when carried out into the garden they behaved as though every fiend from the depths of hell were after them. Shadow spent some time behind two bags of rubbish (which are going to recyc tomorrow) and then crawled back up the steps and into the house where he has gone to ground behind the washing machine.
Phantom behaved in exactly the same way but is hiding behind the TV. Both showed an interest in the bowl of food I put down for them (got a few mouthfuls down them before Pol got her nose in), but still haven't partaken of the litter tray.
Any advice my little chums?
Worried of England.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum