Sabi's saga continued

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm

It was pretty amusing. He was a bit upset that I had raked up all the loose hay and the aisle was clean tonight. I have a huge wheelbarrow full to put outside tomorrow for treats. We are going out of town for a few days, so I think treats are in order.

Fortunately, he looked a tiny bit more comfortable today. He is still way too sore, but he did not refuse to walk. He did hop a little when he was in a hurry, but when he wasn't, all 4 feet were working. Maybe we're on the road to recovery. The petsitter will definitely keep an eye on him and let me know if he gets worse. I hope he just maintains and improves slowly. (FINGERS CROSSED)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Again, how old is Sabi?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Wasn't the farrier coming today?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Yeah, what did he say about that foot? Just wondering........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

Farrier came on Thursday. He couldn't find an abscess, but Sabi's pain is on the outside wall of his foot. He has a mark there that might indicate a bruise. He is a bit more comfortable after his trim, but his other foot is untrimmed because he couldn't pick it up and stand on the ouchy one. But, he seems to be improving slowly, and it's good to know that there was no infection hanging around in there.

He made a perfect sty out of his stall last night. I think all the boys went in there and were playing poker, smoking cigars, and drinking beer. Silly ponies!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 am

Just like men, never clean up after themselves. Glad to hear that it may just be
bruise.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah, bruises heal a lot faster than abscesses do.
Typical male......make a mess and never clean up after themselves.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Poor old boy, perhaps he couldn't get comfortable and thrashed around a bit in irritation. Or maybe he bet big on an inside straight only to be foiled by four of a kind. Hard to say.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am

I'm thinking it was the cards (or maybe the beer). He seems really happy. I've started feeding hay in the net again, and he is really enjoying that. He must have lost a few bites on that hand. Laughing

Last night the silly thing threw his hay net over the wall. He must have been so into eating from it that he flipped it right over. When I put it back in this morning, he went straight to munching. At least he ate about 1/2 before he tossed it around. Silly silly silly pony.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Sabi is feeling better. He was very talkative today. He walked all over the pasture, and when I drove in the driveway, he whinnied to me. He sounds happy. Maybe it's because the humidity seems to be lower now. It was muggy this morning. I think his foot is getting better too. He's still stiff in his knee, but that's probably from walking funny for so many days. I hope that works itself out.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:46 am

Glad to hear Sabi's feeling so much better. How nice to be greeted so cheerfully when you're coming up the driveway. Smile I think you're right in that he will be less stiff because he's not walking funny anymore.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:18 pm

We'll have to keep an eye on it. He's moving really funny today. Slow and kind of off kilter. I worry about founder in the good foot, neurologic problems, or some other injury. If he doesn't improve soon, I'm calling the vet. It's really weird.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't have anything to say, except that I'm worrying with you. And always, always, I hope Sabi will be alright. Neutral
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I wonder, can their legs fall asleep like ours do sometimes? Was Sabi sleeping on the ground before heading out, walking funny, by any chance?
((((((((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't think so. I have never seen a horse with an asleep foot. I guess it's possible, but this lasted a whole day. But, MYSTERY SOLVED.

Our neighbor came over to apologize for his stepson's dog chasing the horses the other day. He really doesn't like the dog (same one that threatened Envoy and me) because it's killed some of his chickens and his peacock. So, he wants us to tell him if the dog comes back here. He wants to be able to have it taken away since it isn't really HIS dog. It was nice of him to come over. Now we know that Sabi just did himself some damage like he did during the storm.

Treatment now consists of wearing his boots and having lots of rest. He is much better today with his boots on. Phew! Keep those vibes coming though. Smile Thanks!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Glad to the neighbor spoke up. In Texas you can kill dogs that are threatening or harming
your livestock.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:43 pm

You can do that here too. The neighbor just doesn't want to do that because the stepson moved in after his house was repossessed. The stepson is the one I said was kind of violent and scary, so I understand why the neighbor doesn't want to stir up trouble in his own house. The grandkids are there too. Lots of complications with just shooting the dog. I think I could do it, but I've never actually been faced with killing anything. I know if it was threatening my horses, I wouldn't think twice. But, I probably would carry a lot of baggage from having to do it.

Sabi is out and loving life right now. Tomorrow, he'll have to wear his rain sheet. It's supposed to get cold and wet. I don't want him to get chilled. I've started feeding him rice bran and alfalfa pellets to put on some weight before winter. He's looking a little thin, but his coat is nice and shiny and his eyes are bright. He just needs to fatten up! (Wish I had to say that about myself!)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I understand Becky. The whole thing sounds very
unstable.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Such a difficult position to be in. An anonymous call to Animal Control? I seem to remember we've talked about this.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:52 pm

The neighbor asked us to call him if we see the dog on our property again. I think animal control would be going to him about his stepson's dog. Could cause family troubles. Such a mess. I do know that if we call him, he will use it as ammunition to get rid of the dog. He really doesn't want a chicken-killing dog on his farm. Those chickens feed him and the family. Sigh... I just hope the stepson starts to control his dog. (Of course, I'd worry that it will attack the kids. If it killed animals...)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 am

Today was rain sheet/boots day. Sabi didn't complain about the sheet because it's chilly, rainy, and windy. He put on his boots like a champ. He's walking slow down the barn aisle even tough we've lined it with rubber mats to make it softer. But, once he was in the grass, he seemed fine. I don't know what he did to himself when the dog was chasing, but it is slightly different from what he did in the storm. He's just differently lame. But, he does seem to be improving slowly. Fingers crossed!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

He may have had to kick with the rear legs at the dog, which is different from running silly in a storm. Even if he had to kick out for only a moment, that would put enough stress on the bad foot to make him lame for a while. The bad foot is a front one, isn't it?
(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES FOR SABI))))))))))))))))))))))
As for the dog, you could still register the complaint with the animal control people. Tell them he's menaced you while riding, and came to harrass the horses while you were away (you could tell them he told you but to keep it confidential because of the stepson--they'll understand about that). Enough complaints and they'll take the dog away. I doubt the stepson will suddenly start controlling the dog now after all these incidents. I actually feel sorry for the dog since it's obvious he was never trained or socialized properly at all....so I blame the stepson. Scary situation for your neighbor with him and that dog living in his house.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Too bad Animal Control can't haul off both that poor unfortunate dog AND that dangerous creature of a stepson. Evil or Very Mad
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:21 pm

I called the vet today. Sabi started standing like his good foot is foundering. Upsetting! He is still willing (kind of) to walk, and he still rolls in his stall and gets up. He isn't foundering like he did originally. The vet said she's seen several horses develop laminitis this year. The fall grass is very sweet because we've had just the right weather to make it perfect. She said that he probably is reacting to the grass, and although it's worrisome, it isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Sabi gets to spend the next 5 - 10 days in the stall with NO GRASS. He can walk in the bran aisle if he wants to, and he is to get 4 bute pills per day. If it is, indeed, grass founder, that should break the cycle and he should start to feel better. If he doesn't, I might have to prepare myself to do something I've dreaded for the whole long time this has gone on.

Please send healing vibes. Poor little Roo. He doesn't act like he's ready to say goodbye yet. Sad
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm

(((((((((HEALING VIBES TO OUR ROO))))))) {{{{HUGS OF SUPPORT TO OUR BECKY}}}}}}
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down