Sabi's saga continued

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Kinda like chocolate, huh? Gotta find something that's good for horse to snack on, that grows like a weed, similar enough to morning glories to look good too........hmmmmm.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 am

Sabi found the leftover CARROT plants. Very Happy I tried growing carrots in the garden. I got glorious leaves and puny, un-tasty carrots. I guess my soil just doesn't want to grow them. Well... Sabi says there's nothing wrong with the leaves. He marched over to the garden and started picking carrot plants to munch. I can't be mad at him. I needed to pull them out anyway. Laughing I just hope he doesn't discover the basil jungle next.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:39 am

Not the basil, just cut all that stuff back and run it through a food processor put
into ice cube trays and freeze. Drooly My horses used love carrots with tops on them
You can actually use them soups, stock and stews. Adds a lot of flavor.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Give that silly horse a One-A-Day! His new age attempts at getting wholistic free range vitamins will get him in trouble! Laughing Although, I must say, I've never heard carrot tops were bad for horses or anyone else. Maybe the boys would take those puny carrots off your hands, too. Wink
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:00 pm

You know they just might. Laughing
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Carrot tops are great for horses. They all seem to love them. My guys would pay money for carrots with tops.

I think Sabi is trying to stock up on fresh stuff before winter sets in and he is stuck with dried grass. He's done this before, and he usually survives quite well. Laughing I did give him some chopped carrots on his dinner, and I'm starting the vitamin E pills on the dinners soon. They all get vitamin E in the winter because it doesn't store well in hay.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

I hope you know I was teasing about the vitamin pills. I know your pals get (as they used to say on MASH) the best care anywhere.

I didn't know that about Vitamin E. Does hay hold other vitamins well?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh! I knew. Laughing

Hay actually has lots of vitamins and some protein. But, vitamin E is higher in fresh grass. I've noticed that 10 pills/day in pony food seems to help their tummies stay settled in the winter, and keeps their coats nice and shiny.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Vitamin E helps our hair stay shiny in the winter too.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

We're having an owie couple of days. Poor little Sabi was fine until yesterday evening. He was sore coming in, and REALLY sore going out this morning. I gave him bute last night and both meals today. He wore his boot too. He seems to be improving. I wonder if the big change in the weather is affecting him. I don't see anything else that raises a red flag.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with his appetite. He's been stopping at his snack tree to nibble the grass under it. His attitude is a bit subdued since he has pain, but he still whinnies hello and keeps his herd mates in line. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Sounds like he may have kicked up his heels a bit too much in celebration of cooler weather, and perhaps stepped a bit wrong, especially if your ground is a soggy as mine. Poor darling! A misstep can exacerbate troubles with old bones(believe me, I know!) but often without causing permanent damage. And it's always worse in the morning! Keep coddling him, Becky, and keep us posted. I'm hoping a few days of careful steps and anti-inflammatories will see him through. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 pm

He's improving slowly. No bite this morning and he walked slowly out to the pasture. He was hopping some yesterday. He came in about the same tonight. I gave him a bute with dinner just to take the edge off and maybe let him sleep better.

He broke his boot! There are hooks and eyes to hold it on, and he broke one of the eyes. What a goofball. Fortunately, the boots are guaranteed, so I'll just have to send it back. I'll rig it to work while he's sore, but back it goes when he doesn't need it as much.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:54 pm

What a silly pony. Glad he doesn't seem as sore today.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm glad he's improving......it's not fun hurting when the weather is so nice and you want to play in it.

Could he be getting a touch of arthritis by any chance?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm

He does have arthritis. The vet saw it when he was having all those x-rays taken. He's on Previcox (which is usually for doggies) to help. It works wonders. Whatever is going on is really with his foot. I think he either stepped wrong or was stomping at something. Since it's cooled down, the bugs haven't been bad, so who knows.

Little man is improving slowly. He is back to rolling in his stall, and he walked steadily into dinner. Of course, steady was interrupted for snack stops. He had to eat grass twice while he moseyed in. Silly pony!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Not silly, you've grab the good stuff while you can.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:43 am

I imagine he'd be prone to getting arthritis worse in the bad foot too. I hope Sabi continues to get better, and hopefully won't do what made him sore again anytime soon.

My mom broke an ankle when she was a kid and that ankle is sore on rainy days with worse arthritis than the other foot or joints. Doc said any injured joint will get it worse, I imagine it's the same with our furkids big and small.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:41 pm

If I surprise the deer here, like if I come out of the house unexpectedly (to them) and they're in the yard, we both stop dead and stare at each other. After I get over being startled, I talk soothingly to them, apologizing for startling them. Often they just stand there looking at me for a while, then amble off. But occasionally one "frozen" deer will slowly stamp a front leg several times, make a snuffly-snort sound, and they all bound away. Do horses do that "danger stomp" thing, too? If so, I'm wondering if Sabi encountered something unexpected (snake? cat? possum?) and stomped his foot. Silly to speculate, of course; no telling how our boy hurt himself (they never tell, do they? Evil or Very Mad ) but I just wondered if horses do that.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:23 am

I've seen horses stomp as a warning signal. It isn't quite the same as deer, but they do stomp. Sabi's usual "startle" technique is to splay all 4 feet out and then take off at his 3-legged gallop.

I'm actually wondering if he's working on an abscess. This came up suddenly, and there are no signs of anything else. The only treatment is to wait and see because digging around on that foot is really not recommended. Since the bone is so close to the surface, we could do more damage than good hunting for an abscess. The farrier comes on Wednesday, and I'll ask him for his opinion. He's good at finding abscesses, and he can get them drained without digging. He's actually better at it than the vet!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Each to his own talents. I'm glad your farrier will be taking a look at Sabi soon; I trust him. (Not that I don't trust your vet! But you know what medics are like, they want to push and prod and needle and image and generally cut things open and peer inside. Sometimes an experienced "laying on of hands" can be more useful.)
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Well said Suzzz, a good shoer is worth his/her weight in gold.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Amen to that! Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 pm

I just don't know. He doesn't seem to be getting better, but he doesn't seem to be getting worse either. I guess that's good. I'd love to see instant improvement, but it isn't going to happen. Poor little guy. He did get up some run-around energy when the hay man came today. A huge trailer of hay backed up to the barn and everyone came at high speed (Sabi limping a bit more slowly) to the barn door. Sabi was ready to go swimming in the bits that the truck left behind. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm

I would have paid good money to have seen that. Well let's see what the shoer has
to say.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I'll bet he was doing his best hoover horse impression with those hay bits, wasn't he? Wink
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum