Sabi's saga continued

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:28 pm

I have a feeling if he doesn't somehow rip off that blanket Mr. Natural will be grateful for it in the middle of the night!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Sabi has never been a stripper. He just gets grumpy about putting on his blanket. He likes it once it's on.

He had another good day today. While Envoy and I were riding, he was lying at the gate to the barn. It was pretty cute to see his nap. He does seem to lie down a lot these days, but that's probably part of the healing process. I know I sleep a lot when I'm hurt. As long as he keeps improving slowly, the naps are welcome. I love you
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 pm

He's staying off those troublesome legs, and surely that's good for him (and them) as they heal. Glad you and Envoy got some riding in; I know that's good for both of you! What does Mr. C think of all this?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Yes, what does our Friendly Ghost think of all of this.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 am

Casper continues to be the perfect best friend. He and Envoy are having dominance battles, but he's willing to back down. Envoy is being kind of a brat. It will all sort out, and then he'll go to boarding school (in 2013). Casper will love his Sabi. Sabi, I hope, will continue to improve, and we can concentrate on getting him comfortable.

He seems to be having a good morning. He popped his foot right up to put his boot on. He wasn't too happy about putting on his blanket, but it's chilly and windy outside. Here's hoping that the weather doesn't make him feel too stiff. So far so good.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:36 pm

I am relieved to hear that. Naps are good, puts more of your energy towards healing. I see from your description that by popping his foot right up for his boot, he knows for certain that boot makes his foot less sore. Very smart pony.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:43 pm

He came in really well tonight. He wanted to be led, but once the halter was on, he walked pretty steadily. I'll take that as a sign of improvement.

He didn't complain about his heavier blanket, which means it's officially cold. Casper did complain, but I think blanketing might bring back bad memories. He threatens to kick, but he puts his foot down when I say, "What is that?" I think the rescue people worked really well with him. They probably didn't blanket though. He was in Tennessee and Alabama in the spring and summer. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:07 pm

I believe in Casper. He may have a knee-jerk reaction to being blanketed, but I know he's learned to trust you, and will figure out that this is one more thing that is, now, good for him.

Not surprised Envoy is showing his ass a bit; being away then coming home, he probably feels he must reestablish his rightful place all over again, every time. Bless him, he usually calms down.

Much love to Sabi. He always has all the wellness vibes I can send.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 pm

You know it this might be the first time in Casper's life that he has had
a blanket. Sounds like it's getting cold in your part of the world Becky, it
is here.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:08 pm

It's hard to say if Casper has been blanketed or not. He's calm about it. He just jerks up that back foot when I'm tossing it over his back. He doesn't continue to threaten when I'm walking around doing up straps or straightening stuff out. But, he's a good boy. It's a small vice that we'll work on.

Sabi seems to be having another good day. The thermometer says it's 47 degrees outside. My fingers and toes say it's colder. I left the winter blankets on the boys. Sabi took his warmth for a nap in the sun, and is now eating from his hay net. He seemed to threaten to kick Envoy when he came over to share the net. That's a good thing. If he feels good enough to present a kick posture, things must be healing.

He's still really sore on that bad foot, and I think his hind end hurts from walking funny. Naps naps and more naps!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Antonio and I will second that. Speaking of naps I feel one coming on
now. Sleep
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Envoy might be trying to reestablishing himself, but I'm glad Sabi felt well enough to take no guff from him. That's got to be good for both of them! Wink
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Yeah, Sabi must be feeling better. He's taking no crap from anybody, and is willing to show it to those who need to see it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Today, he came in really well. Small steps towards getting back to the weirdness that is the Sabi normal? Tomorrow it's back to blankets because it's supposed to rain and get colder. Today was pretty nice and sunny. I think the weather changes take their toll on the poor old guy. I know they don on me!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

bpaquet wrote:Today, he came in really well. Small steps towards getting back to the weirdness that is the Sabi normal?

Lol! Hey, we'll take all the baby steps it takes. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes, baby steps forward are better than no steps at all.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Poor Sabi had a hard day today. It started raining before my husband got home, and he got wet. He had a blanket on, but it really sapped him. He's exhausted.

Envoy was the Sabi guardian today. He was sheltering Sabi from the rain, and helped him walk through the slick area. When Sabi would slip, he would put a shoulder against Sabi's butt to keep him upright. He's the absolute winner today. I am worried that Sabi is so weak. I am wondering if he's dying even though he seems to be getting slowly better. Neutral
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Becky, I don't know what to say. My heart just breaks for you. Arabs are just so game.
((((((((HUGS AND PRAYERS)))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm

I don't know what to say either........((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
That was so sweet of Envoy to lend Sabi a supportive shoulder, literally. Looking out for his buddy.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Oh, good man, Envoy. What a staunch and empathetic friend. I love you Weak doesn't mean dying, Becky, especially with a wet, heavy blanket on. Can you discuss this frankly with your vet?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Yes, and she says I know best. I just think Sabi is having a bad time. I don't know how much I can ask of him. He's SO game. But it is unfair to ask him to put up with continuous pain. We're letting him stay in for a while to see if we just asked too much of him. We'll take it one day at a time.

He stayed in today, and he laid down a lot. His feet hurt. Poor old man. He got up when I got home and was stuffing himself with hay and supper. We went to dinner, and he was back down when we got back. I want to put his blanket on because it's cold, but he doesn't seem to mind being naked as long as his feet aren't hurting.

Suzzzz, weak isn't dying, but horses aren't normally so weak that they can fall over easily. That is a bad sign. So, I have to determine if it's the pain or if he's really weak. Either way, it isn't really a good thing. Maybe I'm overreacting to a bad day.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Becky, to be honest I really don't know myself. Still as long as he is eating
and willing to lie down well that's a good sign.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Could be just very sore feet. Is the abscess healing now? Could he be getting one in the other foot? I'd lay down a lot too if my feet hurt a lot (which they did when I did my 12 hour marathon move into the apartment 13 years ago--I swore someone beat them with a 2x4! They were extremely sore for days). Maybe if he had a boot for both front feet it would be more cushy for standing?
Still a good sign he stood up to greet you and eat. I can't imagine a truly weak sick horse would eat, much less stuff himself. Just take it one day at a time and see what happens. If it is time Sabi will let you know.....

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

I've, well I guess most of us have, gone through this near the end times; that terrible worry -- when does discomfort outdistance the joy of life? It's such a huge responsibility, to make that decision for someone else who can't tell us what he's feeling or what he wants. My heart goes out to you, Becky.

Today?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Today was a small improvement. He was up at breakfast, and seemed perkier. He is still more sore than he was a few days ago. The farrier comes on Monday, so we'll see if shoes help. If they don't, I fear we will have to begin saying goodbye. There's no joy in it, but I do know that he doesn't want to be an invalid for his last years. He is a fiercely independent spirit. He will not mind terribly meeting his friend Konan at the Bridge. I hope he can stay, but if he can't, I will try not to mourn but rather to celebrate one of the greatest horses I've known.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum