Post by Suzzzz on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 pm

We are.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by fiffur on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 pm

I am too...........praying for you both.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Sabi has a huge abscess in his good foot. The farrier found it, and the vet did x-rays to see what the progress of his bone rotation is. He has minor rotation in his good foot, which might be due to putting all his weight on it for so many years. But, she doesn't think it's the cause of his pain. He looked very relieved once the farrier opened the abscess and it started to drain. His bad foot shoes significant bone degeneration in his P3, which is expected in his condition. It isn't unusual, and horses can still walk despite the bone getting blunt and deformed.

He has a 5 day course of pain killers (a mixture of bute and banamine), some stomach buffers, and antibiotics. He says he feels like a walking pharmacy. He is still in pain, and I am going to get some foam insulation from the home supply store. I can make spongy shoes from that. Next month, the farrier will try putting on some glue-on shoes. That should help his bad foot keep from bringing the bone so close to the ground.

So, now we're on the recovery path. Hopefully, we'll be back to our odd normal soon.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 pm

That sound you heard was me exhaling. I'm glad the cause was found and treatment
started. Now it's wait and see. ((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))) still going Sabi's way.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm

From what I've read over the past week or so I think that abscess was so full of ick that it must've been ready to burst from all the pressure built up in it. The pressure it had had to have been enormous, no wonder he hurt so much. Poor baby. At least now he's on the mend and is a trooper when it comes to meds and confinement.

((((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Oh, my. If I read this right, this is serious stuff, but treatable. That breeze you feel is not Hurricane Sandy but my exhale coupled with Sue's and everybody else's.

You said "Hopefully, we'll be back to our odd normal soon." I first read that as "old normal" then realized that what you wrote was quite correct! tongue I love you Please keep us in the loop.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 pm

He is definitely perkier today. He still doesn't want to go outside, but that's ok. As long as he's mending, I'm willing to wait. He'll have to be inside for the next day or 2 anyway. Sandy looks like it's coming straight for us. We haven't been told to evacuate, so I think we aren't in any direct danger. But, it looks like we'll have nasty weather no matter what.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 pm

I spoke to my brother in Delaware this evening and it's looking real ugly
for that part of the world. Hunker down gang.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Sabi wanted to go outside. He spent lunchtime to about 7:30 outside. We brought him in as the showers began. He walked much better. I think moving a little bit might have helped the muscle soreness. I cut him back on the banamine to once a day. I'm worried about his stomach with the combination of NSAIDS and antibiotics. He has some gastroguard stuff to help, but I'm going to be conservative with the pain killers. If he needs them, I can go back, but if he's ok without, it's better to cut them.

The weather looks scary, but there's nowhere to go. The storm is going to be ugly way inland. So, we're hunkered down with everything inside and the stalls boarded up. The tides will probably be our biggest problem. Not much we can do but ride it out. I have food, water, meds, and pet stuff all in order. (Alcohol on standby for stress relief!) Take care, everyone!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Good to hear he wanted to go outside and you're right moving might have helped
the muscle soreness. I agree it's better to be conservative with the drugs.

Sounds like you've done all you can.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Sabi's calling the shots, weather permitting, and I'm glad he got the outside time he wanted today. I love you I'd say stay safe, Becky, but you already have that in hand. Oh, Lord, I'll say it anyway. Stay safe!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 am

So far, so good. We haven't flooded yet. High tide was about 1/2 an hour ago (I think), and no water in the back. The wind is gusty, but not howling. As storms go, this one is being kind so far.

The horses are all tucked in with their hay nets stuffed. I need to go out and clean, which will be an adventure. I hope Sabi is comfortable enough to spend a little while out of his stall in the cross ties. If he's not, he can stay in, but he will just need to move around. He seems ok, so we'll give the cross ties a shot. Like you said, Suzzzz, he's calling the shots. Smile

Everyone up north, hang onto your hats! Stay safe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Still doing good. The wind is picking up a bit, but the rain hasn't, thank goodness. The horses are handling it in stride. Sabi has rested a lot. He didn't want to go to the cross ties, but that's ok. Envoy and Casper weren't thrilled with the idea either. I'll go out later to feed nighttime hay and tuck everyone in. On to day #2.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Things sound good on the home front, Becky. May that continue! Fingers crossed for weather and our boy.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm glad you haven't had to evacuate yet, I hope you don't have to. When I told my mom about Sabi's feet, she said she hoped you had a sling for the trailer to take the weight off his feet. She agreed a long trailer ride to evacuate with his feet as they are at the moment would be VERY hard on him. I was soooo worried about that and the barn kitties that would be left behind.......

I see the storm is headed straight for Jeane and Lovekitties......hope they have somewhere to go, especially Jeane and kitties since they're so much closer to the coast and all that flooding I've seen already on tv.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

We have water in the back and big pastures. The house, barn, and road are still above water. High tide is in a few minutes, so I think we'll survive this with minimal damage. We're watching The Weather Channel, and NYC/Jersey look terrifying.

Sabi is stiff and chilly. I put blankets on everyone. Their hay nets are full, and they are hunkered down. We're close to the end of the storm, but it's still being really nasty. I don't know what Sabi will get to do this week. We have to dry out a bit before he will be able to negotiate outside. Poor guy is still really sore and lame. I am SO glad I didn't have to trailer him.

Fiff, we couldn't sling him in the trailer. It isn't built to support a horse that way. We'd just have to bed the trailer with thick shavings and hope that he wouldn't get too sore. My own opinion is that he probably wouldn't make it through an evacuation at this point. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a recovery, but I am not sure. He is still so sore. Neutral
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you are not underwater.
My brother lives in Delaware and Sandy is supposed to come ashore there.
Still it's great to hear that you didn't have to leave and everybody is hunkered
down. If you've got the barn buttoned up, they should stay cozy, Those bodies
throw off a lot of heat.

Take care, love to all.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 am

I am so glad you didn't have to trailer him then.........I hope he doesn't get too bored waiting for the pastures to dry out. Oh, when does he get that foot rechecked? Just wondering.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 pm

He got some outside time today. We're draining pretty well. The flood is gone, and he seems to like sloshing around in soft mud. He's back in after a couple of hours. I hope he's comfortable now.

He gets to see the farrier (and maybe the vet) on Nov. 21.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm

I bet the soft mud feels kinda like a gel cushion insole for shoes. squish, squish, squish...... much better than rock hard ground.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 pm

Sabi took himself out and brought himself in tonight. He is definitely not moving right at all, but he did take the initiative. I'm still not sure. Sad We're going to give it a while longer.

Envoy goes to boarding school next week while we babysit the trainer's horses. I'm hoping that Sabi and Casper will be ok since Sabi probably won't be up to going out all day. We need a miracle.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm sure praying for one for Sabi. I don't think anybody wants to find out how Casper would react to Sabi being gone while Envoy is away at school.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 pm

No progress today. Poor old man. This is no way to live. Crying or Very sad
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down