Post by Suzzzz on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Yes!! One day at a time does NOT mean giving up! pirat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by bpaquet on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm

With Sabi's feet, it's always serious. The vet is coming on the 25th to take x-rays so the farrier can see what's going on. I hope he can be made more comfortable. If not, I will have to make my peace with the decision and spend the weekend loving on my little Roo.

He did feel good enough to make a great escape from his little pen. I opened it to let him make his way in to eat supper. He decided supper wasn't nearly as attractive as freedom. He went limping quickly out to the grass. I caught up with him, and he was going pretty fast. He's still AWFULLY lame and extremely sore on that left leg. But, he must be feeling a bit better if he's willing to just go. When he started his confinement, he would hardly move to get away from his poop piles. FINGERS CROSSED for the Roo!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Everything crossed and ((((((MORE HEALING VIBES SENT))))))))
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Best vibes. Smitten Rock On Smitten
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:29 pm

He is speedy again today. This seems like improvement. I still have lots of fingers and toes crossed. Maybe the next week before the vet gets here will make him able to walk better. I would love to not have to make the decision. silent

Thanks, everyone, for the wishes. Keep 'em coming; they're working!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 pm

I am relieved to hear Sabi is so much improved! Now to keep him that way.....
(((((((((((((((STRONG HEALTHY VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. I don't want to be terribly disappointed if this isn't something we can help. But, I can't help but be a bit encouraged by any improvement.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:48 am

The vet stopped by today to drop off a new bottle of bute and to have lunch. She looked at Sabi in his stall and said she had seen worse. She is encouraged because he's standing better than he was. We're just going to keep up this routine until farrier/x-ray day. He is stable even if he isn't improving. We're hoping that some shoes will help. Nothing to do but try.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:24 pm

That's all you can do.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Sabi had a different idea of routine. Today, he escaped and walked WAY out into the big pasture. His gait isn't right, but he's moving really well compared to a couple days ago. I went into town and bought a muzzle. He can go out with his friends, which seems to make him happy, and he can't eat too much grass. I am happy to see him happy. He has a long way to go, but this is definitely an encouraging sign. Even yesterday, he wasn't moving around much at all.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Sounds like he's determined to have some say in this. And, after all, it's his life, so well he should. What does he say about the muzzle? Do you think you can make him understand that that too much grass will hurt him just now? Or, at least, that's it's for his own good?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Becky, I would laugh if I didn't know how serious this is. That is an encouraging
sign.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:27 pm

The vet says that if the problem IS grass, he will be more sore pretty quickly. Tonight, Sabi came in slowly, but actually a bit better than he was yesterday. I wonder if grass IS the problem. He is very tired and will sleep really well, I think. We will see if he goes out again tomorrow. If he's too tired, he can stay in and rest. I also hope that his house is a bit cleaner tomorrow. He's been kind of a slob since he started feeling bad.

Sabi was ok with the muzzle, but I need to get one size bigger. This one is a little tight on his poor handsome head. He wasn't too upset by it. He just wanted to be out with his friends. They were so excited to see him that they ran around whinnying. It was pretty adorable.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 pm

The grass can be a problem, That type of founder usually occurs in the spring. I'm glad he tolerated the muzzle some
horses won't.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:40 pm

If grass isn't the problem, what could it be? Oh, don't tell me. Probably a host of possibilities, any of which (or none) could be the root of all this, probably most of which are in the "wait and see" category. Auugh.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:29 am

The only reason we really need to figure out if it is the grass is to make sure he doesn't get too much if it is. If it wasn't grass that caused the problem, we'll never know. But, the cause is also probably beyond our control. We can control his access to too much grass. We can't control things that chase or fly stomping, or (unfortunately) just plain old age/wear & tear.

He was really tired this morning. I let the other 2 out, and he decided to stay in his stall and nap. We'll offer him the chance to go out later. I think during work days, he'll stay in and then get to go out to play when we get home. That will limit his fun time, but it will also keep him from getting over tired.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Or hurt, as you say, by all the unknowables during the day. That seems the wisest plan. And, of course, Sabi will let you know what he wants, too, like his decision to sleep in this morning.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Today was another successful outdoor day. He slept until about 10:30 AM. When we went out to get Envoy's ride ready to go, he was asking to go out. I hung up hay nets for everyone so they could stand around near the barn. Casper and Sabi were happily munching when I pulled out of the driveway. They were way out in the pasture when I came home. Sabi walked well most of the way in. Then, he hopped to relieve his bad foot. I'm used to that, so it's actually a relief. We'll see how he feels tomorrow. If he insists on going out early, I'll hang up hay nets again so he can be outside and munch near the barn. It would give him the opportunity to enjoy the absolutely wonderful weather. But, if he's happy to stay inside and sleep, that's fine too. He's calling all the shots.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

How was his day today?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

He seemed very happy outside. He roamed all over the pasture. He's overtired tonight though. Tomorrow will be an inside day. He can go out in the afternoon when we get home. I have a feeling that he's doing too much with his level of pain. Silly stoic pony.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 pm

What a game guy. Truly a huge heart. I love you Like a Star @ heaven
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:46 pm

He does have the biggest heart of any horse I've ever known. He looked like he felt a bit better today. He is going to stay in his stall tomorrow too. The vet and farrier come on Thursday, so I want him to be able to stand.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:11 pm

I sure hope that between the two of them they can figure out what's causing all this. Sabi is a real trooper though, and trying to life to the fullest despite the pain he must obviously feel from time to time. Such a huge heart.....
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I hope they can too. Poor little Roo looks very tired of all this. He hurts too bad to go out, but his brain hates being in. I'm nervous about tomorrow, but at least I will know what I need to do. At this point, all I can do is watch the poor guy suffer and that is no fun. Neutral
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 pm

We are with you in spirit.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down