wrens in a bag

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wrens in a bag

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:57 pm

I have a plastic bag hanging up in the barn to hold Sabi's foot diapers. I haven't used the diapers in about a year, so the bag has just been hanging there. Yesterday, I was going to take the bag down and put it away, and a mom wren almost flew up my nose! She's sitting on eggs. Now, I have to leave the bag there because she'll want to come back to that nest. I'll have to make sure the bag will last through the winter. Maybe re-bag before next spring. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: wrens in a bag

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Is the bag at eye-level where the babies can be easily seen?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Lol! Bag Wrens! I'm SURE they think they're entitled. We have wrens all over around here. They are loud and bright and think they own the world. And, for all I know, they do, so it's a good thing you're acceding to their wishes. king
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:32 pm

The bag is a bit above my eye level because I'm short. My husband will be able to see babies when they hatch. I think I'll probably be able to witness the flight lessons. They will probably be learning right before it's time to fly south.

The mom flew out to inspect my stall cleaning. She yelled at me and flew back to her bag. I don't know if the babies have hatched yet. I didn't hear any chirping and she wasn't coming/going, so I think the babies are still eggs.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 am

OhMy, bag babies. What an interesting place to make a nest...........and a great photo op if your hubby is any good using a camera.

Hopefully momma wren will soon learn your stall cleaning poses no threat to her lil ones in the bag.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 pm

We'll have to see if this is a photo op. The nest is really well hidden in the bag, and we can't really open it without upsetting the whole little birdie world. We can try, but no promises.

I hope it doesn't get too hot in there tomorrow. It's supposed to be about 100 degrees and humid. Ugh!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Oh, please don't disturb the nest on our account! Shocked

Hey, Put a little step stool near the nest and leave it there for a day or 2 before you peek in. If they allow that, maybe they'll allow a photo after another day or 2.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Yeah, if you can see some of the nest from the top of the bag without disturbing the bag you can get a few interesting pics. I agree though, leave a stepstool for a few days so momma wren gets used to it being there. Then maybe YOU can see the nest too. If not, hubby will have to try but don't disturb the babes on our account.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Smitten
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 pm

I have a plastic mounting block in the barn near the bag. Mom was out hopping around yesterday. I peeked at the nest while she went out for a snack. If the babies have hatched, they are very small and very still. I won't stick my hands in there because I don't know if that would chase mom away.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

It shouldn't but still it's better to err on the side of caution.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Yes, after about a week or so mom wren will not abandon her babes but might divebomb you instead. Even if the babes are small and newly hatched they should still be peeping some......"MOM.....feed me!"
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:57 pm

This late in the summer, could this be a second batch of babies? I have no idea about the breeding habits of wrens.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:26 am

I think it is a second round of hatching for mom. She had a nest near the exhaust fan in the spring and those babies flew away in June.

Today was "I've hatched!" day. There is faint chirping from the bag and mom was busy coming and going. I'll have to see if I can get a shot of them. I didn't try to look in today because mom was back and forth too quickly. Last time I looked, all I could see was the top of the nest, so maybe I'll have to do some fancy maneuvers to get a camera to see the nest opening.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Happy Hatch Day! cheers
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Congrats! Hatchlings will make life interesting in the barn in a few weeks. Hope you get to watch them learn to fly. I wonder....how will they get out of the bag in the first place to even try flying?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I think the bag is like an extra big wren nest. Their nests are "balls" with an opening in the side, so the bag just has its opening a little farther up. I think the babies will climb out of the nest and stand on its top. Then, it's an easy hop to the side of the bag and we have lots of perching places for short flights. Right next to the bag, I have my grandfather's tool cabinet, which now holds horse treats and sundry horse meds. It's the perfect landing spot for first flights because it has little peg hole shelves on the sides for screwdrivers, and it's only about 1.5 feet away. I'm excited.

I tried to take pictures, but since the nest is tucked in so well, all I get is a black nest top in the bag opening. I can't get the camera to an angle to see the opening without shoving my hand and the camera into the bag. I think mom would be really upset if I did that.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Shame you couldn't borrow a doctor's "lil camera on a tube (or wire)"...........they go around corners and stuff. One of those you'd be able to see the nest and inside it too.

Hmmmm, can you use a mirror on a handle to go deeper in the bag, and take a pic of the reflection? You might be able to see in the nest that way.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Haha! The first year my parents put up a bluebird house, Dad got all into trying to observe every aspect of their lives. One day, after he was sure there were chicks in the house, he stealthily snuck up to the house and gently opened the front to see the babies. Mom FLEW out at him, knocking him back on his keester! Believe me, he now respects their privacy and watches from afar. Cool
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow, I didn't know lil bluebirds were that strong.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

fiffur wrote:Wow, I didn't know lil bluebirds were that strong.

Ha! Never underestimate the power of surprise! affraid
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 am

That's what mom wren did to me. She flew out of that bag and almost knocked me over. Fortunately, she was just giving me a warning.

The babies are starting to make more noise. When we turn off the fans (rarely in this heat), we can hear them cheeping for food. Mom and dad seem to be making lots of trips to feed the kids. They talk a lot while they make their trips too. I think they're telling everyone about the new additions.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Ha! Wren birth announcements! Exclusively word of mouth, er, beak.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Those little ones are really raising a racket. I was cleaning stalls today, and I could hear them over the exhaust fan. I was at the other end of the barn. I think someone has hopped to the nest opening. There's a tell tale "blop" on the bag. Smile I bet they'll be popping their heads out of the bag in a couple weeks.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Haha!! Love it! Wrens are BORN loud! I'll tell ya, when a wren perches on the deck and starts to holler while I'm trying to read, I've stuck my fingers in my ears after a while!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum