Casper and mischief

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Casper and mischief

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:07 pm

He is very happy now that he's home. And, he's acting like he's proud of himself since he was a good pony for riding. He is strutting around telling the others that he's going to be a trail pony yet. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 pm

cheers
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 am

We're back to funny colored pony. The new pasture offered some different colors of dirt and fresher grass. So, now the white pony is actually a green and black pony. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Casper the artist! How nice he has a new palette of colors for his own personal canvas. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am

You have got to get some pics of that! Is this some sort of horsie camoflage? Has he been watching old army movies on a tv somewhere? **wink**
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Casper somehow hurt his shoulder. He has a cut and a small puncture. I've checked the fence for nails sticking out, but there's nothing. (Nails are on the outside of the pasture, and the back fences are electric tape held up by rounded plastic things on fiberglass poles.) I have no idea how he did it. Fortunately, both are minor injuries. I'll keep the puncture clean and open so it will heal from the inside out, and I'll keep the cut clean. He should be back to his all healed up self in a week or so. Sigh.

It isn't in a place that will hurt him when we ride, so I think we'll give riding another try this weekend.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I knew of a horse that had to have over thirty stitches in his chest. The only thing
in his stall was his water bucket. Go figure Question
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Poor boo! I wonder what he found to rub on? Shoot, it could be anything, even a stray stick or rock in the field that caught him when he rolled. Well, these things happen. At least he has you I love you to notice and keep on top of it so it can heal. And I think he'd be disappointed if you didn't give riding another chance this weekend. He was pretty proud of himself after his last try!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Things are healing well. The swelling is gone. He doesn't even flinch when I touch the area. We're all ready to ride on Saturday. Sunday, Envoy goes to the trainer's for a day of fun, so maybe Casper and I will ride afterwards. No promises for that day.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Lol! One day at a time. Be nice to see what the trainer thinks of Envoy's recovery after the treatments -- they will watch for any discomfort, I trust, and not push too hard?

Looking forward to hearing about how Casper does this Saturday! Smile
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:32 pm

We probably won't do a lesson. We'll probably just do some stuff in the arena. I don't have any groomed footing at home, so we can't really try things out. We walk/trot for the most part. We can work on more exciting stuff in a real arena.

I rode tonight before the predicted rain gets here. There was something really scary at the gate. Envoy didn't want to go close. He's grown up so much. He didn't freak out and go running. He just said NO and stayed about 20 feet away from the gate. I got off and led him through the gate and he did the BIG spook. I didn't see anything. Maybe there was a snake somewhere? No ideas. I just teased him about spooking at the horse-eating kitties. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey, if The Big E said there was something at the gate, I'll bet there was. It may not have gone very far, either, if he spooked when he went through. Whatever the case, I'm VERY impressed that he stood and waited with you instead of jittering away, and trusted you to take him through.

And hey, reciprocate the respect! Better to be warned about horse-eating kitties ( ROTFL ) or Becky-biting snakes ( affraid ) than just walking into danger! Wink
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I agree with Suzz, Envoy has never struck me as the type to see the wind.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 am

Today is supposed to be Casper's riding day and it's POURING rain. Thunderstorms and wind are in the forecast. We'll try to find a time in between storms to plop around for a while, but I don't know how much we'll be able to get done. I'm not going to complain because we need the rain. But, it is a crimp in the plans. Neutral
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 pm

The ride was really short. I took advantage of a break in the rain and tacked up. Casper was wet from playing in the rain, but he was a good boy for saddling. He made grumpy ears when the girth was tightened, which makes me think he had a poorly fitted saddle at some time in the past. But, once he realized I wasn't going to squeeze him in half, he relaxed a bit.

We went outside -- still dry -- and I got on. He kind of stood around and then headed towards Envoy. Envoy looked at him and I think LAUGHED. "Haahaa! You have to work today!" But, all was well. No excitement.

And then the bottom dropped out. The rain was pelting out of the sky. I had my riding rain coat on, so I was pretty much dry, but poor Casper was getting drenched. He walked calmly over to the barn door and stuck his head in so his ears weren't getting rained on. Of course, this meant I had to dismount right in a puddle. Laughing

All's well that ends well. We didn't float away. There were no fireworks for riding. And, even though we only spent about 5 or 10 minutes riding, it was a success. Casper is learning that I won't ask him to go out of his comfort zone, and he's teaching me that he has a really good mind. cheers
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Very Happy cheers
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:12 pm

I love you cheers I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

cheers
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Casper is playing Sabi guard these days. This morning, he pushed to the front so he could be sure the deer had cleared the pasture. Sabi looked like he was annoyed at first, but then he said, "Go ahead! Sacrifice yourself. Those deer bite!" Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Do the deer challenge the horses for field space? Shocked
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Not usually.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Not at all. These deer and my small horses share plenty of space in the pasture. I think Casper was just going out first when the herd of deer decided to go from one side to the other. It was just funny to watch.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

Now Casper is really being protective of his friend! Shows they've bonded very well IMHO. Smile
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Last night, Casper thought he could skip going in his stall and parade down the barn aisle to the yard. Sabi was yelling at him, "Don't do it!" He stopped at the front of the barn where Sabi could still see him. I patted him on the shoulder and told him he needed to be in his house if he wanted his dinner. So, off he went into his stall. He's really getting silly these days.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 pm

He's asserting himself. Considering what he's been through, that's excellent news! He's comfortable and confident enough with you and this new life to try being his own man. And you handled it perfectly, pointing out to him that your rules are in place for a reason, for his benefit.

You're bound to run into this sort of thing from time to time as C continues to blossom. I have every confidence in your instincts, experience and horse smarts to deal with him, Becky. Besides, he loves you. And, of course, Sabi is an excellent friend and role model!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum