Renegade Ratties!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Renegade Ratties!!!

Post by mockingbird on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh, no! We were asked to sign an updated rental agreement (nothing has changed, just need a new one for their paper work.) Well, guess what?! Something we didn't even think about (and apparently was always on the lease): We are not to have exotic pets (including but not only) gerbils and hamsters. Well, rats are considered exotics! Oh, no!!!

We were just on the verge of going to get some new little friends and boom! here it is. Unless we move or buy our own house, per our rental agreement, we cannot have any more ratties. Sad Whaa!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Renegade Ratties!!!

Post by BobCat on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:44 pm

In what world are rats considered exotic?!? LOL! Seriously though, I'm sorry you can't get any new ratties.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 pm

BobCat, my husband said the same thing!
However, they are technically considered exotic, as explained in this Wikipedia page...

An exotic pet is a rare or unusual animal pet, or an animal kept within human households which is not commonly thought of as a pet.

The definition is an evolving one; some rodents, reptiles, and amphibians have become firmly enough established in the world of animal fancy to no longer be considered exotic.[citation needed] Sometimes any unique or wild-looking pet (including common domestic animals such as the ferret and the domestic rat) is called an exotic pet. "Exotic" may also be used for a species which is non-indigenous to the owner's locale.

Many major pet stores and service providers (such as veterinary insurance carriers or online retailers) tend to classify any animal besides cats, dogs, small rodents, small birds or fish as "exotic".

If our landlord doesn't want gerbils and hamsters in the house, chances are he doesn't want pet ratties, either. They are also considered exotic because they are a veterinary specialty and only 3 vets in all of Savannah care for them.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 pm

SAY WHAT????????? Never mind you don't want to know.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Sounds to me like you're not even supposed to have the ones you have. I'd say you have a problem, except for one simple solution. Don't tell them!!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 pm

You are right, Suzzzz. We were never even supposed to have them. I guess we just didn't think of it. So...we pretty much came up with the same solution you did. Mum's the word on the ratties and no more as long as we live here. I am sad about that, but we are enjoying the two who are left. They are old little ladies now at a year and a half. When we realized we weren't supposed to have them, I looked at the cage and boom! There was Sweetie, looking right back at me as if to say "Oh, noooo!" haha! Well, we are excellent renters and if we are found out before these little girlies join Slumber and Ghost, then we will cross that bridge when we get to it and well, basically admit that we didn't realize we weren't supposed to have them. But that probably won't happen so we just won't be getting any more for now.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Well since you are good renters I don't think they will hassle you if they find out.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 pm

I did a stint as a property manager. 1. Owners care about the value of their property and don't want it damaged. Fair enough. 2. Dogs and even cats can be problematic, hence pet deposits and no pet rules. 3. I've seen more damage done by kids than any non-human animal alive! 4. Blanket banning of "exotics" is a boilerplate addition to many leases in order to avoid a can of worms that can stretch from little white mice to Bengal tigers. 5. Property managers couldn't care less what's going on in your home unless somebody complains.

So unless our little darlings run screaming down the public halls every night or turn up in your neighbors' beds, I think you're safe. I even think you're safe to add to the family, but that must be a matter of conscience for you, now that you've seen the clause. Personally, I'd be mighty tempted to ignore it. pirat
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:16 pm

In the clause it says "...including (but not limited to)..." and then lists the animals, but not rats *specifically by name* but, it is implied in the term "exotic pets". We rent a house, so no public halls. I can see their point, because rodents can cause so much trouble if they happen to get into the walls, etc. (we did have an incident with Raya the first night we brought her home. We let the ratties have a little play time in the bathroom and she found a small space under the sink, in between the wall and the sink cabinet and set up house. It took us 6 hours to get her back out and it wasn't fun at all. If we hadn't been able to get her out, what a hassle and potential damage it would have been! I could just see her chewing through the drywall!) I do agree with the children-caused damage (and Joshua made that point) however, Hildy caused a lot of damage to the house we rented when she was a puppy...chewed a huge, deep hole in one wall, tore down window blinds, stuff like that. We got all our deposit back on that house because I became the spakle and paint queen!)

I don't know...now that we really know, it will be hard to just ignore it. We've lived her for almost 6 years and they have never raised our rent and always have things fixed right away. We want to be fair to them, too. Maybe once these two little ones are gone we might ask...but we don't want to rock any boats for now and I would feel badly if we got more now because we know-know. I even took the lease and read that to Dr. Bragg today and she agreed about what it's saying, but she said "I can't believe they won't let you have exotics."

If anyone looked in through the front window, well, they couldn't miss the big cage! We have them in the living room so they can see what's going on. I am worried about Georgia Rose, though. She adores the ratties and I know she will miss them when we have no more.

Oh, goodness! I wish we were still living in blissful ignorance about it all!
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:18 pm

It sounds like you should do what you've decided, walk the straight and narrow and be content with what you have. That's the easy part because, after all, what you have is a great blessing. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Amen to that Suzzzz.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm

New York has a ban on exotics also, including ferrets and iguanas. (I don't think they ban ratties, but in New York City there are more rats than humans. LOL)
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum