July 4

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

July 4

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:26 pm

I don't who all has plans for this weekend, but I will be going to a baseball game on Sunday.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: July 4

Post by WarriorNY on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:07 pm

I will probably go to to top of the local mall to watch the fireworks.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 pm

We'll probably cook out - maybe with the neighbors - and then it will be off to the local fireworks. Of course, they're threatening rain...
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 pm

i won't see the schedule until Fri or Sat but i'm pretty sure i'm going to be working..i work every holiday and we're open EVERY holiday except Thanksgiving and Christmas right now (though that could change...the two days we're closed that is...not that they will close on a holiday they are already open).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:33 pm

No real special plans, just maybe watch a few extra movies with Brad and sleep in. We can see most of the fireworks from the community room patio at my mom's building, the high-flying fireworks at least. The trees block the low-flying ones. That way no bugs to hamper our evening, no traffic to fight, no jostling for a place to sit.

Now if my sister calls and wants to cook out our plans may change.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 pm

well,working on the REAL 4th and off on the 'government' 4th which is the 5th. (since WHEN did they change the 4th of july to whenever we want so the people who get paid too much to start with get an extra day off??? isn't the 4th of July like Dec the 25 or Jan 1? something that can't be changed???).
Anyway...nothing to do either day anyway. there are no holidays when you work retails nor when you live in the basement of this house. (i'm sure i'll come home Sun to find the grill going).
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Trinity is having a cookout Sunday. I'm making potato
salad. It's supposed to rain. As for the grill going at
your place Jeane, I'm a cheeky witch so i'd invite myself.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm

i only wish i could...i'd be more likely to do that if the folks who moved in next door were outside grilling! (but here they make plates they don't let you make your own).

i think i might look at the hot dogs and see if they are on sale cheapy cheap...if i can find a good brand cheap i might get a pack and some buns. i miss stuff like potato salad.....they don't make decent potato salad around here. i reallllly miss Midwestern potato salad...the stuff that has potatos and hard boiled egg and mustard as well as salad (miracle whip)dressing in it!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:26 am

My mom makes the BEST potato salad in the world! There is no store bought that ever comes close to homemade, but we slipped into that habit of buying rather than making, because making potato salad is time consuming. But then I had a taste of Mom's again, and it's absolutely worth the effort!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 pm

My mom says mine is almost as good as hers, so that's a compliment. It does take me over an hour to make a batch. Problem is, I always make more than I can fit in the fridge. I just might make a batch IF my place is cool enough in the morning to cook the potatoes for it. I have everything else on hand in my pantry.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Just a sidebar here. The Battle of Gettysburg ended today. I can't remember if it
was fought in 1863 or 1864. It was major victory for the Federals. If I remember my
history correctly the reason Lee moved into Gettysburg was that his army desparetly needed
shoes.

(I looked it up and it was 1863)
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:14 pm

bc do you think you could put your mom's potato salad recipe in that recipe section we have? i've like to see what's in it;)

i looked at the hot dogs today and the decent ones aren't that great of a sale. i guess i'll just get another tv dinner or maybe a pouch of tuna tomorrow.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 pm

jeanebellini wrote:bc do you think you could put your mom's potato salad recipe in that recipe section we have? i've like to see what's in it;)

Sure - it's really a very simple recipe, but simple is terrific!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:09 pm

simple is the kind i do best:) and you can start with simple and make it your own!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:24 pm

It's almost like my mom's except my mom's has fewer ingredients: pototoes, eggs, a bit of onion, celery and sweet pickle relish (drained), salt, pepper, yellow mustard, and Miracle Whip. That's it. I'd make some but it's too hot to cook the potatoes and eggs for it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

My poor old 'fraidy dog Henry is just getting over the 4th. He's terrified of fireworks and firecrackers. Unfortunately, the juvenile delinquents on the corner love firecrackers, and were setting them off every few minutes right up through yesterday morning. Henry is still suspicious when we want him to go outside, but at least he doesn't make us accompany him now.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:18 pm

poor pooch...around here they started the firecrackers before the 4th and stopped the next day or two. i don't kow if the dogs upstairs freaked out about it but the kitties didn't like it. (the doxies that were here when i first got here really wigged out and had to have doggie xanax to get them through firecrackers).
Have you tried Rescue Remedy?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Around here they started in with the fireworks and firecrackers over two weeks before the 4th and only stopped about a week afterwards when they finally ran out. Bijoux kinda got used to the sound, but I've heard that Maggie didn't like them one bit.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm so torn on the fireworks issue. I absolutely LOVE them, and I also absolutely hate how they frighten some animals. Thank goodness our crew isn't afraid of them, nor of storms. We try to encourage that good behavior by going out on the porch with them during a thunderstorm and just sitting around, enjoying the rumbles. That conditioning has worked for us with Argo & Lyra, and also with Grommit before them, but I'm sure it's a lifelong process to keep them in control of their fears. I always hate to see people taking their dogs to fireworks displays, and loud concerts, because they can be scared so easily - and it's so hard to un-frighten them.

We had that similar issue with Argo and his carsick issues. He no longer seems to have the motion sickness, but I think he's still working on the psychological problems that came from that nausea. He's much better - even sitting up and looking around in his car seat now - but he still isn't fond of the idea of getting loaded into the car...
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:29 pm

that's a good idea about conditioning dogs with sitting out on the porch and enjoying the storm with them. i think some dogs get freaked/spooked because of trauma they had before they got to their people. if the dogs upstairs now are freaked by storms i can understand why...they spent their first year or so locked in a bathroom around 12-18 hrs or more a day...had to have been in the dark when the nightime came and alone whenever a storm would come.

jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Shoot - Grommit used to sit at the big glass back door and just watch the thunderstorm. He'd even ask to go out on the porch so he could watch from there - even if we didn't go out with him. He enjoyed watching all the action. I can understand how dogs (and cats) who weren't conditioned like mine were could get spooked by them, and once the damage is done, it's hard to un-do. Blue got caught out in one bad storm one time - a real violent thunderstorm and tornado warning was going on, and I could see him sitting under my SUV at the time. I called him to come in, but he didn't even want to run the 25 feet or so to the door. Finally I coaxed him in, and he immediately jumped up on my kitchen table, looked back out at the lightning, gave it one big HISSSSS, and ran under the bed. He got over it, but he had a healthy respect for the thunderstorm afterward, and never again strayed too far from the comfort of his home when the weather turned threatening.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Anybody doing anything special for the 4th? No plans here except take mom to the pantry. Amazingly, they're actually open tomorrow! Shocked  IF it doesn't rain we should be able to see the fireworks from her buildings' screened in patio, as long as they clear the tops of the trees here.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:06 pm

We'll have my brother over to cook out bratwurst & burgers, and then we'll go to our little town's local fireworks display. It's always a nightmare trying to get out afterward, with all the traffic, but I love being right under the big fireworks displays!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Happy Independence Day to Everyone!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Back at you BC. Going to a tailgate party at Whole Foods and watch fireworks later. You can see fireworks from the country club across the street. Lakewood Country Club puts on a nice show every year.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum