Envoy's 2012 boarding school tales

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Envoy's 2012 boarding school tales

Post by bpaquet on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm

I bought some "natural" fly spray. It makes Envoy smell like a peppermint stick. It has citronella, cinnamon, peppermint and some other stuff in it. The important thing is that it's mixed with water instead of oil. The pollen is so thick that an oil-based spray would make my pony turn completely yellow. The oil stuff also makes Sabi's hair fall out, so I avoid it.

I remember that SWAT stuff, Sue. It was horrible. If it didn't keep the flies away, it sure worked to keep people at a distance. They still sell that stuff, but they must have improved the smell. Don't you think? Would anyone buy it if it still stank as bad as it used to?
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I know I wouldn't. What you described doesn't sound too bad. The other thing about the old
oil based sprays you couldn't get the stain out of your clothes if you got it on them. Worse than
Coppertox and that was NASTY!!!!
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

If the truly nasty stuff becomes necessary, would it work to soak towels in it and drape them in the barn/stalls to keep the worst of the evil bugs away?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Hmmmm, not a bad idea if you drape them near every window and doorway to repel those nasty buggers out before they come in.....
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Most barns use fly strips or bug zappers. The only problem with bug zappers is if you are riding a really
spooky horse.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm

What about hanging something flies really like interspersed with flypaper? I like the idea of luring bugs away from the horses before they even get to them. What do flies like better than horses?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 pm

It depends on the fly. Some like stinky things, some like wet things and some just look for large, dark forms like horses/cows/people. I but fly predators that eat fly larva, so we don't have a really bad problem. As long as we spread the poo daily and keep the predators going out in the poo areas, we really keep ahead of the bugs. Fans in the stalls help too. I try not to use fly paper in the barn because it just gets coated with dust and horse hair. It kind of defeats the purpose when the sticky stuff isn't sticky because of the dirt. The best way I've found to keep the flies away is to keep the area clean and as dry as possible.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Lol! Becky, forgive me for trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs! clown I should know by now that you know what you're doing. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh! It's a good suggestion. The farm catalogs have HUGE rolls of fly paper that you can roll from one plastic roller to another. It's super wide and id does work. But, for my operation, I can only afford those little hanging strips. Those look funny covered in hair, dust and a couple flies. Laughing

Heehee! "Teach my grandmother to suck eggs" I love it!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Shame you can't lure a few frogs or toads to hang around the barn, they keep flies down pretty well if their tongues can reach them!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm

We have LOADS of frogs all over our property -- toads too. We are in a swampy area, so frogs are very happy here. We hear the peeper frogs at night all spring and summer. Sometimes we hear bullfrogs too. They sound HUGE. My favorites are the little tree frogs who stick themselves to my kitchen window at night. I haven't seen any yet this year.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 pm

I haven't seen a lil tree frog since my mom moved from the trailer park. They used to hang on the side of the trailer right by the porch light....and gorge themselves. They were so cute. I've yet to hear any frogs peeping this year. I'm less than a mile from the river as the crow flies so in the summer I can hear them pretty well.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:42 pm

I haven't heard frogs around either. The last apartment I could sometimes hear frogs but not here.
Sad
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 am

It's been so dry in TX. I hope frogs haven't paid the price. Also, if the city sprays for bugs, the frogs probably leave for buggier spots. Sad Even though I HATE the swarms of bugs, I do like having bats, frogs, swallows. Still, this year seems not too bad yet. The cities actually seem to have a worse bug problem than we do out here in the sticks. I haven't had to spray Sabi and Casper, but Envoy has been getting treated for a couple weeks. It's a very confusing year. Then again, with his allergies, Envoy might need it out here too. No telling.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 am

They spray ever year we have some kind of panic about something and the city goes and sprays
everything to death.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 pm

That's a shame. I know it's standard practice for urban areas, but it's still a shame. I know that pesticides are useful, but I also worry for our bees and birds and frogs.

Today was a good bug day. The wind was blowing and it was cool. The horses are still outside because they aren't interested in coming inside for dinner.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Not with all that nice sweet spring grass sprouting up in the pasture!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Envoy has been going out every day. He is restricted from playing with the other horses because things were getting too rough. He and Bo were playing boy games, and since Bo is trying to recover from a hurt leg, they probably shouldn't get so into the rough games. So, Envoy goes out in one pasture and can see the others over the fence. This suits him just fine because he gets ALL the grass. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I bet! He doesn't have to even think about sharing HIS spring grass.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 pm

It was really cold last night and Envoy was SLEEPY today. We had a light ride because we were both tired. When I put him back in his paddock, he ignored his hay and went to his little house to nap. His head was poked out of the doorway and he was sound asleep. I hope he sleeps well tonight. It's not supposed to be as cold and then the weekend is supposed to be beautiful.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:36 pm

The visual you gave me................that is one tired lil pony. Was he snoring too?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 pm

No snoring yesterday. Sometimes he gets to sawing logs when he lies down.

Today he "helped" to stuff hay nets. My trainer's husband was putting hay in nets for her horses, and he went to the hay room and started munching out of the net while it was getting stuffed. He got chased away and then proceeded to be silly about coming back and vacuuming hay from the doorway. It sounds like it was hilarious. Thank goodness he wasn't being bad. He was just playing.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:44 pm

He was just being a good and helpful pony. He was just following the advice of
Benjamin Franklin about waste not want not.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:45 am

Yes, he hates to see good hay go to waste. Ben would be so proud of him taking that advise to heart. hehehehe
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm

It's POURING here. I am not sad because we really need the rain. But, poor Envoy's rain sheet gave up its waterproofness. He was soaked today. I got him dry and put on his light winter blanket. He seems happy to stand in his house and munch hay, which will guarantee that he doesn't get too wet.

The fortunate thing is that I belong to an email list that had rain sheets on sale for 1/2 price today. Yippee! I ordered a replacement for Envoy's dead sheet and one size bigger for Casper. Casper's sheet is in fine shape, but it's a few inches too small now that he isn't super skinny. I think I'll keep the sheet that's a little too small as a backup sheet. It's too big for Sabi and too small for Casper/Envoy. But, it will be fine if someone needs one to back up their sheet for a few days. Not TOO big/small. Smile
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum