Goodbye, little Bluesy...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goodbye, little Bluesy...

Post by mockingbird on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 am

Dear Mutties, our sweet little Betta fish passed away just about 15 minutes ago (it's 1:09am EST.) No apparent reason...he was lying on his side at the bottom of his tank. I did a quick water change, just to make sure his oxygen levels were good, but he died about 10 minutes later.

He lived a much, much longer time than he would have (remember, he was a rescue fishy) but it still really hurts and I'm left with the "did I take good enough care of him?" feelings right now.

At least it was swift and he didn't linger. Male Bettas are already a year old when they are in stores for purchase and their life expectancy is 2-6 years. We would have had him 4 years in March...so he had a good long life, for a Betta.

Still...many tears were shed over our sweet fishy.
We will miss him a lot.
It's been a rough year for our little family. Crying or Very sad

mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye, little Bluesy...

Post by bpaquet on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 am

Hugs to all of you, MB. We lost our blue Betta earlier this year. He was about the same age as Blusey, and his passing was very similar. I'll bet the two of them are swimming (separately) in big pools at the bridge.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 am

I am sorry to hear about Bluesy. Sad

I remember the story about how you rescued him.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:24 pm

It is certainly not hard to recognize your feelings at mourning the loss of that tiny well lived life of Bluesy...I've felt them too :-)

He was the one you rescued from shallow water at a big box store like Walmart, right?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 pm

((((((((((HUGS))))))) to you all. Mockingbird, your animals receive the best of care. Don't beat yourself up, I remember
the story behind Bluesy, so I can say without doubt he had a full long life with you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Thank you, everyone.
Yes, ARNIgal, he was the one we rescued from Wal-Mart when his container was cracked all the way around and his dorsal fin was showing above the water. He had about an inch of water left and would have died then if we hadn't seen him...but I'm still sad tonight. I almost fed him when I fed everyone else, and then I remembered...

I think I shared that he had an episode of not feeling well not too long ago...his color was starting to fade so maybe he was just on his way out...

We buried him next to Slumber by the lake underneath a big pinetree. I wrapped him up in a paper towel and then Joshua dug the grave. We poured water into the grave because a fish ought not to be buried in dry earth, to my way of thinking, and placed him in and buried him. He was a sweet little fishy and I will miss him.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Bluesy crossing (or is that swimming) across the bridge. He did have a good long life with you that he otherwise wouldn't have had. I know you'll miss him for a long time to come. He was a one of a kind sort of fishy.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:02 pm

sorry to hear about Bluesy
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:17 pm

You and Joshua gave Bluesy a beautiful final rest, Elizabeth. Bless you for rescuing him, giving him a happy, loved life, and respecting his passing with great honor and care. May you all be at peace.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:27 pm

i'm sop sorry i didn't see this til now....you've got to remember that you did everything you could and you certainly rescued the little blue fish! its a hard thing to do...i've faced it myself recently...but you have to keep thinking that. he had a good long fishy life in a happy home! to be honest i don't think i ever had a fish I(except one that cleaned the tank that looked lika mini tuna..we called him Charlie the tuna)that lived more than a year!
just keep on lovin the critters and rescuing the ones you can!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum