Feral for life

Page 1 of 42 1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Feral for life

Post by Sue Short on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 am

The cats are making me crazy or is it crazier. Look out the front door tonight and see GW and
Sport. So I feed them. Put Tabby's on the back porch. Went to lock the Lair right after Hell's Kitchen
and find Tabby lurking about so put out kibble for him and a little more for GW. Went to check on everybody
and Boomer comes sauntering around the corner so I fed him and gave GW some more food.

Made the Run, nothing at the first two stops and I'm concerned about the first one. Last night when
I went there was a lot of kibble down and I mean it looked about a gallon ziploc bag full and the water bowl
was bone dry. I never put that much kibble down, the most I'll put down is one or two cups. Tonight the water bowl
was full and there was still a lot of kibble left on the ground. At the B & G Club, Mom came sauntering out of the bushes
when I pulled in and there was another cat watching me from across the street.

When I got back from the Run Tabby was lounging on the retaining wall near the back gate and I thought I saw Sport on
the front porch. I moved the water bowl to the back porch, it was getting all nasty because of the pecans falling in it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Shame you couldn't put the waterbowl under an umbrella, you know laying sideways. Not only would it fend off pecans, but also leaves and dirt blowing around. Of course, if you don't anchor the umbrella it would also be blowing around.

You've seen mom, what about the kits?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:02 am

Tonight GW and Sport showed up a little after eight so I feed them. They cleaned up what I put out
for them earlier and were waiting for more. So I gave them some from the more from the bags I was
taking out to the van for the Run. They cleaned that up. Right now Tabby is on the back porch I'm going to
move the food and water bowl tomorrow where Antonio can't see it. Right now he is pawing frantically at the
back door.

AS for the run. All the kibble was gone at the first Baylor stop and when I was going to the next one I saw a light
colored cat. Looked to be an adult but I couldn't get a good look. At the B & G Club there was a black cat underneath one
of the vans but left when I started to put down food and water. I'm not sure if it was Mom, I know she came trotting up as
I was leaving. I didn't see any kits across the street.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 pm

GW didn't get a lot of dinner tonight. The ants got into before she could finish it. Poor thing
is so scared and Sport and Boomer don't help. While I give Boomer more kibble than wet so he won't
eat so fast and I do the same with Sport. It's just any little sound, movement sends her flying. I moved
Tabby's things to a different part of the porch.

As for the run, same as last night except i didn't see the light colored cat tonight. Need to take out a new
water bowl for the B & G stop. The one back behind the bushes has been trashed.

Update- just finished checking the Lair and GW was on the retaining wall. Put out some more kibble but the snick
of my deadbolt I think scared her off. I'm going to leave it over night.

Last edited by Sue Short on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:41 pm

One way to keep ants out of a food bowl: set the food bowl inside a larger one filled with water. Most ants can't cross the 'moat' so the food is safe. Worth a try.

GW might not mind the extra reach over the water to get a good meal.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 am

On the home front, it was Boomer, Gw and Sport out front. I got all them
fed. I guess they got enough since no one was lurking about later. I put what they
didn't eat plus Tabby's bowl out back. I saw Tabby when I was doing that. I've moved the bowls
to where Antonio can't see them.

AS for the Run. There was a very strange person lurking around the first Baylor stop so I
moved on. At the second stop I saw a cat waiting for me in a different spot. It was a gray
tabby and came up to the feeding station as I was approaching it. Very calm, he/she disappeared in
the heavy bushes that are there. At the B & G Club, Sam(Siamesse X) was there along with Mom. Saw a
black kit across the street.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Did the stranger look like the type to harm the strays? Perhaps that's why the cat was waiting in a different spot... pale
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:59 pm

I don't know Arni, it was one of those situations that didn't look or feel right so
I just left.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Animals can definitely tell the people who mean them no good. I trust their reactions. If they weren't around because of him, you did exactly the right thing to move on, Sue. I hope he isn't back tonight.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Didn't make the run tonight, We have rain tonight and the Baylor runs are exposed.
Nothing here of the local crew but I have a bowl of kibble and water on the back porch.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 am

Rain in TX! Whooo hooo!!! I bet the kitties are willing to wait this one out just for the little relief it brings from the drought.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:47 am

You finally got a bit of rain? YAAHOO! I know the kitties will welcome the cooling relief that brings, even if it's only temporary. They'll be around for kibble as soon as the rain quits. Did anyone brave the weather to get the food and water on the porch?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:25 pm

It was nice to get some. I put a bowl of kibble on the back porch. Most of it was
gone this morning. Don't know of it was the Wild Bunch or wild life. Had a chuckle tonight
it had just gotten dark and I glance out the back door and Tabby is waiting for a meal. So I fed him,
then around 8.30 I was going to do my supper dishes and Sport was lurking about. So I fed him. Haven't
seen GW since Thursday. I hope she's all right. Hopefully there is some kibble left on the back porch.

On a side note. I saw Abby( nee' Oreo) Friday, she had slipped out of the house. Well she was hanging out
on the picnic table waiting for me to come out give her breakfast. Children, this cat is FAT. She used to gaunt but she is
FAT!!!. Anyway I put her in the laundry room, called Ed and then took her home. She did get breakfast.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Due to the huge thunderstorm we had last night I didn't make the Run. Did tonight
nothing at the first two stops. At the B & G Clubs, as I'm pulling up I notice the front porch
light is on at the house across the street. There were three black cats on it and fourth waiting
under one of the vans. One of the cats from across the street, it had to have been Mom, came trotting
across the street. So I fed her and put food down in the back for the other cats.

On the home front, I think Sport and Tabby had barely gotten a chance to eat when the storm broke
loose. I had food in the back for anyone who showed up. Since I wasn't sure if anybody got anything
before the storm hit. I put some more out when I got up for a pit stop around 2. GW was back tonight, so I
fed her and Sport out front. Tabby was on the back porch. When I got back from the Run, GW and Tabby were
back looking for a little more so I gave them seconds.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 am

I'm glad they came back for seconds, they must've been very hungry waiting out that storm.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am

Well nothing at the first stop, I did see a cat in the distance when I made the
second stop. Cat started towards me and the disappeared. So I know someone is getting food
there. At the B & G Club there were two black cats across the street. One of them was Mom, she came
trotting towards before I even got out of the van. I fed her in her usual spot. The second black cat headed towards
the back of the property. So I fed him/her there, also Sam showed up. On an somewhat alarming note. I heard
gunfire while I was at the last stop. It wasn't close but still.

On the home front. Tabby showed up around 6.30 so I put food out for him. GW showed early and then later
came back with Sport. GW hung around while Sport ate. I don't think she nibbled on the second helping. Tabby
was lurking about when I got back from the Run. So I gave him seconds and he ate that.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 am

Sounds like GW is befriending Sport now that he is alone and encouraged him to come for dinner. Good girl GW. Smile
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Tonight at the first Baylor stop, I saw a very young black cat eating from a pile of
scraps. So after I pulled in and stopped, I walked towards him/her shaking the bag of
kibble. This got the cats attention. I put food and water down in the usual spot and
went towards where the cat was eating. This spooked him/her into a storm drain. I put some
food down on top of the scraps. Cat came out of hiding towards the feeding station. Hid in some
bushes until I left. At the second stop I saw the cream colored cat in the bushes. Poor kit inched towards
me as I was putting food and water out. At the B & G Club, it was Sam, Mom and the black mystery cat.

On the home front, Tabby was staring at the backdoor waiting for food. I fed him, then fed Sport and GW a little
later. I left the food out because there was still some left. Tabby and GW were having a late snack when I got back
from the run.

Oh, one more thing about the first Baylor stop. When the cat came out of the storm drain to check out the
kibble that was on top of the scraps, that was when he/she headed towards the feeding station.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 am

Ahhhh, kit noticed there was more of the good stuff at the feeding station. Smart kit. Shame that poor furbabe was so scared. Maybe after a few more visits that one won't be so afraid of you?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Well no sightings tonight at the first two stops. At the third there were two black cats. I don't
think one of them was Mom, she is really thin with a narrow oriental type face. She is also not as
spooky as these two were. So I'll call them Mystery Black Cat 1 and 2. (MBC ! & MBC 2).

Very odd here tonight. Only saw GW, then again I was over at my neighbors house for a while.
Put food and water out back for Tabby, fed GW, I think she cleaned out both bowls. Was lurking around
looking for more. So put some more food out for her and picked it up when I got back.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:43 am

Did they show up later? I'm sure you'll see the usual crowd tonight. Those kitties don't stay away from a good meal for long.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Well there was no one at the first two stops. At the last one, we had a pretty good
crowd. There was Sam, Mom and MBC !. All were chowing down when I left and there is
some extra for whoever shows up before the raccoons do.

Here it was the usual crowd. I had to laugh when I opened the front door to see if anybody
was out there I glanced around and saw no one. Then I saw the black tip of a tail peeking out
from under one of the chairs that are propped against a table that is out there. Well under the table
was GW and Sport. As I turn around here comes Tabby slinking up. I fed everybody out front, when I
got back from the Run. GW was hanging about so I gave her some more.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 pm

No Run tonight since it's Saturday. Here it was everybody including Boomer.
Everybody is well fed and there is water on the back porch.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:30 am

Nothing tonight at the first two stops. At the last one it was Mom and Sam. So I fed
them and put some down at the back of the property in case anybody shows up before the
wildlife.

Here it was Boomer, GW, Sport and Tabby. I gave Boomer the Meow Mix. Tabby got some of the
food that Antonio didn't eat. I gave the rest of it to Sport and GW. Sport and Tabby came back for more
so I gave it to them. Poor guys. I've been feeding them kitten chow, I think they could use the extra protein.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

If they're skinny from living outdoors, the extra calories will do them good. Especially with winter coming. Sounds like your regulars are getting to know exactly when and where to get dinner. I bet Tabby came slinking out the moment he heard the door open.......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 42 1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum