X's saddle debut

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

X's saddle debut

Post by bpaquet on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Today was the big day, and it turned out to be much less exciting than it could have been. I thought it would be a good idea to lunge first. (Lunging is putting the horse on a long rope that is attached to his bridle. He can then walk/trot/canter in a big circle around the handler.) Well... The poor guy didn't know what to do, so we started as if he were a baby horse. I needed to have my husband walk on the outside of the circle and lead him around while I held the rope and whip. He seemed to get it pretty quick, but he did have a panic attack when he slipped in the mud. That caused scrambling and a buck. He was sure he was in trouble and acted surprised when I didn't make any deal out of it and asked him to keep on doing what he was doing. I think the poor guy had some not-so-great round pen training where he got disciplined for things he can't help. Mud is slippery. Horses sometimes lose their footing. Oh well.

My husband then held him while I treated him like an unbroke 2 year old. I hopped up and down next to him, leaned on the saddle, put a foot in the stirrup, and got half way up/down/up/down. He did kick a foot out at me when I tightened the girth. I slapped him and said, "NO!" and he shaped right up. (Testing boundaries?) Well, then I put my foot in the stirrup and just threw a leg over. He stood like an angel. No fuss, no muss.

We stopped then because he was pretty mentally fried from the whole experience. I think we'll try a little more on Sunday. He, of course, went right out to the biggest mud puddle he could find and got himself COVERED in black muck. It will take me 2 days to find the horse under the mud.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: X's saddle debut

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Becky, you are the best Mom ever! Bless you for starting from scratch with X rather than assume anything. We all (including X) know you've given him a second chance, and now he gets to see for himself that he is truly starting over with... well, the best Mom ever! He even gets to roll in the mud and shake it all about!

He knows and trusts you by now, and I suspect he'll do everything he can to make this work.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Great start, may they all go as well.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Sounds like a good start. Now to remove all that mud to find the pony underneath......
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Here are some pix of everybody outside today after their adventures and Thanksgiving feasting. http://gallery.me.com/becky.paquet#100100

Here are the ones of X today. It took almost an hour last night to make him a gray pony again.

Last edited by bpaquet on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : attempt to fix url)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Just tried your link and couldn't get it to work. Sad
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Tried to fix it and see that the Flickr pix show up as ?s. Not sure what's up with that. If you tell the browser to open the picture in a different window or tab, the pix open just fine. Weirdness.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Worked a treat this time. Becky, they all look great. X well I remember when he first came
to you. He looks fantastic.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Do you suppose Xavier was trying to hide under all that mud? bounce Very Happy I love you

Loved the pics...your gang of horsies are so gorgeous :-)
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:27 pm

No riding today. X scraped up his shoulder somehow. He has a gash right where the saddle would go. I think he tangled with a tree. It isn't a bad cut, but having the saddle right there would definitely not feel great, so he gets the week off. He rolled AGAIN just to tell me he was happy about not having to do any work today. Poor Envoy had to pick up the slack. Laughing

You know, ARNI? I think he might be trying to hide. He certainly blends into the scenery when he's the color of mud.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Wonderful pictures!!!!! It's so good to see all the boys, and X looks SO good! cheers cheers cheers
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I saw the pics of him after you cleaned him up (thanks for emailing them to me BTY). Do you have pics of a muddy X?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Heehee! No. I couldn't bring myself to show him in that condition. I tell you... He was positively BLACK with mud. It was terrible. Funny thing is that since then, he's stayed pretty clean. Sabi is slob of the week.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Ahhhhh, now they're taking turns on who makes more work for you. hehehehehehehe X is fitting right in beautifully with your lil herd.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Everyone got showers today. Yesterday, it was 75 degrees. Today the temperature is dropping and we got lots of rain before the cooler weather got here. The boys are a bit dirty but nothing like they were. Of course, who knows what they will do tomorrow! Shocked
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Knowing them...........probably play in the nearest mud puddle! Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 pm

They stayed surprisingly clean today. I hope they stay that way for the farrier tomorrow. I'll have to bring them in kind of early so their feet can dry up a little. It's SO muddy here. Crazy for this early in the wet season.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:48 pm

The weather has just been plain crazy all this year. I don't think anything would surprise me right now weatherwise.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:18 pm

I got on again today. Poor guy doesn't have a "go" button. He walked a few steps and stopped, walked a little more and stopped. He doesn't understand turning left and right. He is as green as grass. We only rode for about 10 minutes and most of that was standing still. I am kind of stumped as to why he doesn't understand anything, but that's ok. He was good and didn't bolt around and scare himself. I think he has a big stubborn streak, but that's ok. We'll see how things go.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm

I wonder if he's been tried by people who had no idea what they were doing, expected him to know what to do when he didn't, and finds the whole process utterly confusing. Could he be stopping because that's the only thing that worked before?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm

That's pretty green. Still the fact that he is being stupid is a plus. Still as the song says
time is on your side. Embarassed
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Looks like you'll be doing a lot of groundwork with for a while into the forseeable future. Perhaps he needs school too?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:15 am

I'm actually thinking of bringing him to school for weekend visits. I just need to make sure Sabi can make those trips too. He hates to be alone and panics if all his buddies are gone. I don't want to do that to the poor old guy. X's first job is to be Sabi's buddy. He does that very well, so I am not going to stress about riding him. If it happens, great. If he ends up being a stand-around pony, that's ok too.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Maybe if you start at the very beginning with him training him? Like he's never worn a saddle in his life kind of beginning? Might take a few years but then again maybe not, he's pretty smart.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 pm

That's kind of the plan. My theory is that he just never had any real training. People probably hopped on and went where ever how ever. So, he might have some unlearning to do as well as new learning. We aren't in a rush. Like I said, he is fine the way he is, and if he doesn't become a riding horse, that's ok. He is perfect the way he is -- all green and black from mud. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum