More orphans

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More orphans

Post by gbste on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 pm

I picked up 2 foster puppies last night from a woman who had taken them in when a relative of hers went to prison. They are a shepherd/pit cross, and have been well taken care of since she took them. She's moving at the end of the week, so the girls had to come to my place. When I went to the apartment complex to pick them up, I saw 2 kittens hanging out by the trash dumpsters. I asked about them, and was told that the mama cat was run over last week. I'm going to go over after school tonight and tomorrow with food, and try to trap the kittens on the weekend. Don't know where I'll put them yet, but one emergency at a time, I guess.

gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: More orphans

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 pm

At least the woman didn't let the dogs run loose in the neighborhood. Do you know yet if the dogs are good temper, bad temper etc? The dogs look a bit sad in the pictures. I'm glad you noticed the kittens.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:05 pm

The puppies have lovely temperaments. They're a little energetic, but they love everyone and everything. They climbed up on the dining room table this morning on their way to their crate, so we're lucky we're in a warm spell. They can spend lots of time outdoors playing chase, and then be good tired pups this evening.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:04 pm

aw typical puppies;) know with your help they'll do well:)
hope the kittens know what's (or rather..WHO's) good for them and come along with you:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 pm

The pups look great, little to energitic for me. Hope you are able to rescue the kittens.
Hopefully the pups won't try to dig out of the yard. Keep us posted.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:09 am

The puppies will be transferred to another rescue tomorrow. They are a bit much for us too. Our elderly dog Henry is having lots of mobility trouble, and often needs to be lifted to his feet. He weighs 60 pounds, so taking care of him can be tiring all by itself.

We took food over to the apartment complex for the kittens after school yesterday. We didn't see them, but we left the food where we had seen them the day before. We'll feed them again today and maybe tomorrow too, and try to trap them tomorrow or Sunday if they're showing up for food. Kevin is going to drive by there if he's doing errands to see if they are hanging around.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:12 pm

If those kits found the food they'll be hanging around waiting for more to show up. Hope you can catch them. The pups are cute, but as pups go they will be mischievious and way too energetic, especially when they get each other all wound up to play. Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:34 pm

We got the pups on the bus first thing this morning. They had their outdoor play time first, so they were ready for naps and got right into their travel crates. The rescue they're going to will put them in foster homes, so they should be very happy.

When we put food out for the kittens yesterday afternoon, they ran across the street and sat on the porch of a modular home in a trailer park there. We didn't see them this morning, but the food and the dish were gone. If I see them at the modular house today, I'll ask the people there if they own the kittens or if the kittens are strays. I don't want to steal someone's kittens, but they are not well cared for--they're too small to be outdoors. Of course, I don't think cats should be outdoors by themselves at any age.

gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 pm

I wonder if those people took the dish............and I agree kitties of any age shouldn't be outside, especially alone. There are many dangers out there, including nasty fleas and ticks.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:42 pm

The dish was just a plastic microwavable thing from a frozen dinner, so who knows? Maybe someone just threw it away.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Could be that was the case. When I was feeding kittens in a neighboring apartment complex in Lansing, I would always stay until I knew the food was being eaten. One of the reasons is the apartment complex was against feeding stray cats. They weren't heartless when it came to stray animals, they just didn't like when the leftovers didn't get cleaned up when people would leave food. The other reason I never just left food out was that I didn't want the opposums to get it before the kitties confused
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Arni, I understand that. If I miss judge, well we have some FAT wildlife here.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:05 am

Those pups were adorable. They probably looked sad because they didn't know what was happening. At least they are in safe hands now.
Good luck with the kittens too. If the folks in the modular home have taken them in to look after, so much the better. At least they will be warm and fed. Fingers crossed.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm

The pups just didn't like the flash on the camera. They are acutally very happy little girls.

The kittens were rolling up to the dumpsters just as we were. We left some food w/out any dish, and they were digging in as we left. We'll go over with traps this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Well, the kittens didn't show. There were some trays from convenience store nachos in the full dumpsters with lots of nacho cheese--and kitty tongue marks--in them, so I'm guessing they had a Mexican dinner today. I left some dry food on the ground just in case they were not the kitties that ate the cheese. We'll keep looking. I'm leaving cat traps and tuna Fancy feast cans in my car. If the kittens show like they did yesterday, we'll set traps. Don't want to leave the traps unguarded.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I can only imagine the joy they felt when getting some of that yummy cheese :-) Good luck with the traps! bounce
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh yes, good luck with those traps! I hope you get them....those lil ones need some medical attention like spaying/neutering, shots, etc. along with some taming loving attention. I know you're an expert at that!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 pm

I finally caught one of the kittens yesterday after school! cheers I haven't seen the other kitten for a couple of days, but I'll keep looking. The kitten I have is a himalayan/snowshoe type. He has blue eyes, a "bandit mask," and very thick long hair. I had to use the welding gloves to get him out of the cat trap and into his crate last night, but this morning he let me pet him and pick him up and look him over. He didn't enjoy it, but the cat treat I left with him when I returned him to his crate mysteriously disappeared as soon as my back was turned.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 pm

The puppies are adorable! I hope having a couple of extra little bodies in your home is working out ok with everyone.
Good luck with the kitties! I will be keeping up with this thread for more updates. Bless you for your good work with these
poor babies.
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 pm

The puppies already were transferred to another rescue, so they've probably been adopted by now. The kittens are extra work, but they're a lot of fun as well.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 pm

any luck with the other kitten yet?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07 am

The other kitten was a no show again today. Almost got a purr from the boy I have, though. I'm hoping that nothing bad happened to his sibling. It's a hard world out there for little feral kittens.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:45 pm

I hope his sibling is okay too, just hiding. He sounds like a real beauty, and is already taming down under your loving care.

Don't feel bad about using welding gloves: my vet had to use them every time he took Miss Kitty's temperature...even when she was 17 and frail looking (looks are deceiving sometimes). She nailed him with her teeth right on the knuckles last time, if not for the gloves he'd have needed stitches. Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Here are some pics of the kitten. I call him Don Diego.

gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:46 pm

What an adorable boy.
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down