NEED VIBES for Grace!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEED VIBES for Grace!!!!!!!

Post by Fisshy on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Grace ate a wild blk cherry berry this AM and has been having hives and swelling- the vet said Benedry and baby asprin so I did and 5 hours later she was all better and then POOF she was worse. I called the ER vet and they said anther dose of benedryl would be ok. I am looking on the net and she ate the seed too which is what they said is TOXIC. I cant make her poop. Right now she looks better but I am worried- she is my sunshine I cant live without her Sad
Please put some healing vibes out there- stupid dog!!!!! she eats everything Evil or Very Mad
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Re: NEED VIBES for Grace!!!!!!!

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 pm

do you mean she ate an black cherry and had an allergic reaction? could you tell if she bit the pit open or might have just swollowed it? (I'm trying to remember cherry pits...i think they are pretty small so maybe she swallowed it whole?).
i'm trying to remember what is good for making dogs poop and can't think of anything other than something stupid like mineral oil or a spoon of bacon grease!
keep us posted on how things are going!!!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Sending good pooping thoughts to Grace! Keep us posted on the "progress."
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

((((Grace))))
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I'd give her lax stuff to make her poop, like plenty of mineral oil. You might have to deal with some diarrhea but better to get that toxic stone out of there. I'd also continue periodic Benadryl since that seems to be working to contain the symptoms. I'd also check with a the ER vet before I did any of this, but if they seemed clueless I'd do it anyway.

Keep us posted, Fisshy!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 am

Please give ((((((((((LOTS OF VIBES AND HEALTHY POOPS))))))))) from Jim and Vic to Grace.
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:04 pm

((((((((((((((((GET BETTER VIBES)))))))))))))))))
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Wonder why I wasnt notified of the replies Embarassed must check my setting!

Thanks what a long a$$ day and night! I did call the ER vet they were the ones that told me to give more benedryl (and I did the 2nd time) BUT I did something on my own later and gave her some prednisone because the Benedryl was only working 5 hours max and took like 2.5 hours to work.......I finally got a 2 minute pee out of her later in the day but no poo.
The prednisone did work FAST at getting the hives down but did not really help the itch. The dog ran all over the house rubbin her face on the carpet whatever she could do to scratch. I knew I had 12 hours to wait before I could either give more prednisone or benedryl since the prednisone has different doses.......I am not an advocate of the prednisone but the vet hinted since I had some that I could give her some (BUT she said she did not say that type of deal) because she did not want to be liable without Grace being seen. I followed my gut.

Anyway we took watch over her waking up and checking all night - by morning she almost seemed normal, was not really scratchin but I know that could change in a moment so. She ate and I gave her lots to eat so she would poo Rolling Eyes but she went back to sleep. Then later she pooped and we went thru that sucker Suspect but no pit. She started to swell again and I gave her bendryl and she has been ok. She did puke up her food but it wasnt like a "sick" puke it was "I gagged and since mom stuffed me I leave you all my food on the floor" puke Razz

This is the best she has looked since the onset lets hope it had its fun 24 hours in her system and is now done.

Here is some early face shots from yesterday swelling all in her muzzle- starting around her eyes and head - I never took the body shots it was so creepy lookin.

a normal face to compare

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE VIBES- I think she is gonna be ok. I just wish I had found the pit assuming she ate it and it was hard like a cherry pit- I cant believe she had such a re-action. This plant kills other animals that eats the leaves as it turns to cyanide. Goodness gravy! affraid
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Poor Grace! That shot with the swelled up muzzle reminded me of when Grommit had a tangle with a young rattlesnake on vacation one year. We almost lost him. He swelled up so big and had lumps and bumps all over his body - then his breathing began to be affectd. We were scared out of our wits. Watch your girl closely...

As for the settings, the default is to get notified of replies, but then everyone was saying they didn't like that they were getting all the emails, so I went in and shut that feature off on each person - so it wasn't you. Maybe I should just let everyone decide for themselves...
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:56 pm

oh man..she did get bumpy!i was thinking the little pin point bumps i sometimes get as hives! if i'd known she was still itchy i would have said to try a little cold compress that helps me when i get itchy.(not ice, but one of those cold packs you can chill in the fridge or even just a washcloth of cold water).
here's hoping the bumps and the itching are over!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 pm

He swelled up so big and had lumps and bumps all over his body - then his breathing began to be affectd
uuggh I totally know what you went thru. I was so worried about her breathing then even sudden Shocked I cant type it.
I am so glad Grommit was A-OK I love you
So her benedryl was administered at 10:45 AM Sunday and she seemed ok thru the day but at 11Pm she started bumping up but only on her face- I then gave her more bennies and today she has been totally bump/swollen free.

Jeannie the body bumps were so big she looked liked she had tumors all over- even googling images some pics these poor dogs go thru -

I got more poopies she just pooped out the corn from last night Razz still no pit so if it was there I imagine it was lost/digested
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 am

welp if the corn was eaten after the cherry and its come out then if she ate the pit it must have come out and been er...'hidden'. maybe it was a freak cherry and didn't have a pit in it to start with:) i'm just glad that everything is under control.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Glad to hear the benedryl is working somewhat for her, I know how nasty an allergic reaction can be. Just keep a close eye on her and check her pulse too, benedryl tends to raise blood pressure and pulse so you don't want that to get too high or that causes problems of it's own. If you still don't see the pit in the poo you can always go for broke and have her xrayed to make sure it's not in there.

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))

I do hope there are no more of those berries around where she can get into them again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:43 pm

fiffur wrote:Glad to hear the benedryl is working somewhat for Grace, I know how nasty an allergic reaction can be. Just keep a close eye on her and check her pulse too, benedryl tends to raise blood pressure and pulse so you don't want that to get too high or that causes problems of it's own. If you still don't see the pit in the poo you can always go for broke and have her xrayed to make sure it's not in there.

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))

I do hope there are no more of those cherry berries around where she can get into them again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Update, Fisshy?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Suzzzz wrote:Update, Fisshy?
she has been perfect the last 3 days- thank you!!! I am very grateful for her recovery cheers
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:14 am

That's terrific news!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

i'll second that!
now grace stay awaaaaayy from the cherries!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm glad she is doing better.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Hoo, Fisshy, sounds like Gracie dodged the bullet this time. I'm so glad!! Very Happy
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am

Big sigh of relief.

I know that cherry trees are supposed to pose threats to horses as well, although I can't remember why. I think it's the leaves and not the cherries. (I can't imagine a horse being interested in such small squishy fruit. Doggies on the other hand...)

(((GRACE and Fisshy)))
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

glad gracie is doing better. I missed the whole hullabaloo not being here for awhile
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 pm

I am so relieved to hear Grace has recovered. I sure hope she doesn't do that again. Did this incident make you sprout any white hairs from worry?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:32 pm

AAARRRGGGHHHH she just broke out in hives and we havent even left the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon it wasnt the berry now unless it stays in her system?? Happy 4th to me right? Mad
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 pm

bpaquet wrote:Big sigh of relief.

I know that cherry trees are supposed to pose threats to horses as well, although I can't remember why. I think it's the leaves and not the cherries. (I can't imagine a horse being interested in such small squishy fruit. Doggies on the other hand...)

(((GRACE and Fisshy)))
leaves turn to cyanide Shocked
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top