Sabi's saga continued

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:09 pm

The reset worked very well. He is FAR more comfortable. It just took setting the shoe back a little bit and wedging his heel up. BUT... Sabi sprang the shoe on his good foot. Silly pony. He must have had some fun and popped the shoe most of the way off. It's only 2 weeks until the farrier comes again, and his good foot will be fine without a shoe. It isn't torn up. The nails came out cleanly, so he will be a little off balance, but overall it's fine. I think he's seen enough farrier for his taste. I have the shoe, so resetting will be inexpensive. Amazing how he didn't bend up an aluminum shoe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Glad the reset went well and as to the other.
Well at least he didn't shred the foot and bend the
shoe.

Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:19 pm

How on earth did he manage to remove a shoe without bending it? Or tearing up his foot pulling out the nails? I am glad to hear the reset seems to have resolved the soreness issue with his "bad" foot.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:59 pm

One of the signs of a good farrier is if a sprung shoe doesn't tear up the foot. That means that the nails were put in right. I guess he was rolling around and got up funny or he just clipped the back of the shoe with his back foot. He moves kind of funny because of his bad foot, so there's no telling. I blame too much fun because he lost his bell boot too! :-)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:46 am

Again? That boot needs a GPS attached to it so you can find it easier!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:26 pm

The vet actually came out when the farrier reset the shoe. (I wish I had been here.) I found the bill and CD with the digital pictures in my barn box today. I hadn't opened it on Thursday after the farrier came. The picture shows a little more rotation but no more sinking, so I'm not sure what that means. It is deterioration of the condition, but I'm not sure that it makes much difference at this point. As long as I can keep my boy comfortable, that's what counts. I will be calling the vet and farrier on Monday to get their opinions.

Sabi continues to be more comfortable and is quite happy, so I am going to keep him on his routine.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Head scratch here too. As long as he is comfortable, also
consider that they left the information in your barn box
means they weren't too worried about it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:17 pm

He cantered to the barn today at lunch time. I let them out early this morning, and it got HOT around noon. So, everybody is in under their fans for the afternoon. Sabi must have wanted in because he just picked right up and ran. His x-ray shows some arthritis at the tip of his rotated coffin bone -- pretty normal. I think I might look into some non-NSAID stuff for that. It would help his comfort level.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Another weird double posting. I guess it's the satellite internet connection. Sometimes I get "bad server response" errors and I think it's just my silly ISP. Oh! I hope the effort to bring real high-speed to the whole country gets some support.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

That's great news. I've had happen a lot in the past
around here that only happens when people get on the
internet for hours streaming videos..
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Glad to hear the additional rotation hasn't seemed to affect Sabi's comfort level. The arthritis I guess is to be expected since that area has undergone trauma in the recent past and the older you get the more you get arthritis in those old-injury joints. At Sabi's age I wouldn't be surprised to find a bit more arthritis elsewhere. As long as he is happy and comfy, that's what counts in the end.

Just for the hell of it: >>>>())))))))> >>>>())))))))> enjoy Envoy
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Sabi stole some of those carrots, Fiff. What a Face

He was full of himself today. He ate grass happily all day, and at supper time, he pretended like he was going to follow Konan in as usual. Then, he faked us out and turned around to go back outside. He just paraded around keeping Envoy from coming. He wasn't bullying Envoy, he was just circling around through the area in front of the barn door. He wouldn't let my husband catch him. I had to stand at his stall door and say, "Come in your Roo house."

He walked right in as if to say, "I knew what you wanted. I'll come in on my own good time."
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Silly pony. Very Happy
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm

He IS. He did not act silly today. Too hot. He is the smart one though. He wasn't too sweaty, while his buddies were melting. I don't know why, but he seems to tolerate the heat much better. Maybe it's because he's a very red bay while the other 2 are dark (Envoy has lots of red, but he's not chestnut-y).

Today's adventure was a shower. He loved the nice cold water. I think he was hoping for a pond to show up so he could swim.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 pm

bpaquet wrote:
He was full of himself today. He ate grass happily all day, and at supper time, he pretended like he was going to follow Konan in as usual. Then, he faked us out and turned around to go back outside. He just paraded around keeping Envoy from coming. He wasn't bullying Envoy, he was just circling around through the area in front of the barn door. He wouldn't let my husband catch him. I had to stand at his stall door and say, "Come in your Roo house."

He walked right in as if to say, "I knew what you wanted. I'll come in on my own good time."

Lol!!! Sabi is King of the World! He just wanted to remind you. Razz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 am

Had to chuckle at your description of Sabi reminding you who's boss of the pasture. hehehe But he is smart to come in before you got mad at him.

One reason he might not be so sweaty: his Arab blood plus his lighter coloring. And he probably stood in the shade more too. Or found a nice breeze and hogged it all to himself like certain kitties I know.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

All my horses are Arabs. Sabi and Konan are full Arab and Envoy is half. But, I think Sabi just deals with the heat better. He is more compact than Envoy and lighter colored than Konan. Konan also has Cushings, so he stays furrier. I think about clipping his coat, but I'm afraid the bugs will eat him up without the hair to protect him. I just let him keep his hair.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 pm

I don't think I've seen any photos of
the boys.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:34 pm

We haven't had any recent ones of the boys. I know cushings can mess with a furkids metabolism so they are more prone to suffering in the heat. I bet if you put up a tarp as a rooflike shelter they'd stand under it to get out of the sun when the trees are no longer in the right spot to cast shade.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:19 am

We have good pastures for shade. Two have trees that are never in a pad place for shade and one has trees in the very middle, so the horses can go to which ever side is best. We've also planted some weeping willows that will eventually be good for brushing backs and keeping bugs off -- and they're like huge umbrellas. But, it will be a few years before they are big enough for that.

I haven't been posting pictures because I just haven't taken any. Rolling Eyes I'm terrible. Once it isn't broiling outside, I might try, but I will admit right up front that I am terrible about taking pictures. Don't know why either. My dad is an absolute shutter bug.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:25 am

I didn't think the pics you posted in the past were bad. Give it a try please. I know it's been over a year since I saw any pics of the boys.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I'll try. I just need to remember the camera. I'm awful at that.

Silly Sabi pulled the shoe off his foot. Ugh! The funny thing is that he wasn't as lame as I thought he'd be barefoot. He was walking around with just a bit more head bob than with the shoe. I rigged a shoe using a diaper and vet wrap. I folded the diaper so he has a "high heel" and taped that to his hoof with the vet wrap. He hardly limps with that on. The farrier is due out on 8/2, and I told him I think I can keep this rigged shoe/slipper on until then since he seems so comfortable. The farrier says that sounds good but if he gets bad just call. He'll come early. I love my farrier.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Does you're husband know? (I'm so bad)

What would a horseman do without vet wrap
and diapers?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:40 pm

You ARE bad, Sue. devilish

Vet wrap, hay string, diapers and duct tape. That's what holds a stable together.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:12 pm

I know!!! It was too good to pass on.

I forgot about duct tape.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down