TRAGEDY IN OHIO

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TRAGEDY IN OHIO

Post by lovekitties on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I was so sad to hear about all those poor animals who were shot when the owner unlocked their cages and then killed himself releasing them into the open. I don't blame the cops who had to kill them, they weren't equiped to trank them and it was getting dark and you cant let lions, tigers, bears, wolves etc loose like that where they might attack people.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: TRAGEDY IN OHIO

Post by WarriorNY on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 pm

This is such a sad story...a damn shame. Sad
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:17 pm

What a loss indeed! There are only 2400 Bengal tigers left in the wild...and 18 passed away in this tragedy...
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm so angry at that man. Maybe I shouldn't be, he was nuts, but he was horrible, too. He had to know the outcome for the animals when he turned them loose. It was a vindictive thing to do, deliberately causing as much terror and mayhem as possible for them and his neighbors while selfishly escaping all consequences.

We're supposed to forgive cruel, insane bastards. I'm not sure I'm big enough for that. Yet, how does desperation play in? How does mental illness play in? And why the hell wasn't he stopped a long time ago on one of the multiple animal cruelty complaints and charges he got?? Why weren't those animals taken from him years ago? This is a terrible and confusing tragedy with a long history. I don't know what to think or who to blame. All I know is, I'm heartsick over it.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:30 pm

The laws in the state of Ohio are extremely lax when it comes to owning exotic animals. Personally
I think it's a very poor idea. The New York Times had a good story on the tragedy. I'm paraphrasing here
but the sheriff was quoted as saying that it was just insane, just crazy that they had to kill all those animals.
Some of them were shot within yards of their pens according to the story. If anybody gets a chance check out the
NYT story.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Ya know, I'm not sure who to blame either! The laws currently on the books in the state of Ohio maybe? NBC News was reporting tonight that Mr. Thompson was a gun collector who would often trade a gun for an unwanted exotic animal. Maybe those trading a life for a gun need to be blamed since they didn't turn the animals into someone who could properly care for them.

ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 pm

It's a complex problem that exists in many pockets all over this country with private owners of exotic animals in varying circs under various state laws. Personally, I think none but registered rescues should be allowed to house "exotic" animals. Of course, I also think puppy mills, livestock factory farms and Premarin horse operations are cruel abominations. But who listens to me? The bottom line is, animals have NO rights anywhere on this planet as far as I know.

Sorry, ranting.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey, I'm with you and at one point I was foaming at the mouth when I read HSUS position on
it. Words fail me, we actually they don't but Bobcat would have this post down in a
skinny minute. Laughing

Last edited by Sue Short on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I was so sad to hear those tigers and cheetahs had to be shot...............there are so few left of them in the world. Why don't cities who have zoos, rescues, or exotic animal collectors (and they know they have them) equip their police with tranq guns, just in case? If only they'd had that available to them, those animals wouldn't have had to die. Sad That guy was so far in hock to the IRS he had no way out financially--for life knowing the IRS. Maybe he set the animals loose to fend for themselves thinking it would be days or weeks before anyone found out he was dead out there in the sticks?

We have one exotic animal collector here in So. Beloit: he has a buffalo bull, ostriches (who can throw a mean kick!), antelopes (watch those horns), among others. No tigers or cheetahs that I know of, bears either for that matter. The police here already have access to tranqs and the guns if they ask (the animal control people have them handy for wildlife).
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Oh...if only communities with known animal collectors, etc. could just automatically equip their police with proper equipment! confused SE Ohio is DIRT POOR!! SE Ohio is also full of good people whose hearts are breaking because their communities can't afford all the special training and weapons involved...
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum