Sabi's saga continued

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sabi's saga continued

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Nothing really new to report on the Sabi front. He is ready for his new shoes, which come on Tuesday. The vet with the digital x-ray machine is coming with the farrier. (It helps that they are married.) So, we will see what's going on in that foot better than the normal x-rays.

It's been almost a year since the tenotomy, and I think it's been mostly a success. I doubt that Sabi will be able to go barefoot, which is the big goal. But, he is much more comfortable than he has been, and he hasn't had a big setback in that time. This is the longest he's gone without further rotation and separation. So, we'll see if things are progressing well.

I need to buy some hamburger and good beers. The farrier/vet are coming at 5:30, which means that they will be finished around 7:00. It would be good to offer them dinner. They live about 2 hours away.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Sabi's saga continued

Post by bpaquet on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Not sure why this posted twice. Editing to remove the duplicate post. Embarassed

Last edited by bpaquet on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: Sabi's saga continued

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:39 pm

ah....sounds like grilling time after the vets are done!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm delighted to see that the Saga of Sabi has made the transition to the new forum!! Very Happy

Hope y'all have a great evening, farriers, vets, horses, cats and angel parents!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:02 pm

i'm glad its over here so we can keep up....the whole time i was reading the Hounded to Death book i was thinking about Sabi!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Hounded to Death... Sounds like a mystery that takes place on the hunt field. I'll have to check the library to see if they have it. I'm almost finished with my current book.

Sabi is glad he's getting a new shoe tomorrow. His feet are growing pretty fast since he's been out every day. His new shoe configuration works well for him, but I think he grows out of it easier than the other shoe he had. We'll see what's what tomorrow.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 pm

I am so glad that Sabi is here! Also glad he's been doing so well, the surgery seems to have been a success IMHO. I hope the vets like the cookout after they're done working. Makes the ride home seem shorter when you're not hungry. Hope Sabi is his usual good boy self for them. Please let us know what the xrays reveal.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Becky, that is so great of you to think of something like that.
Sounds like fun. Hope everything goes well.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:54 pm

it is about fox hunting....gawd i can't remember the author's name off the top of my head but she writes mysteries with cats in them.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Rita Mae Brown.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 pm

that's it! its in your box right now and i didn't want to dig it out...maybe that will become one of those pass around when you've read it books if we can do that through the mail. (here sometimes there are books that go through four or five hands just through people at the store:) )
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:28 pm

What an awesome idea! A booksharing thing. My mom, sister and I do that sometimes. I have books that I think should be shared, and they usually sit stacked up on the floor by my bed.

The shoeing went well. Unfortunately, the vet got called to a rescue to help with a place that had over 30 underfed, uncared-for horses. I don't blame her. So, the farrier didn't take any sole off Sabi's foot because he couldn't see what was going on inside. But, that's ok. Sabi got the same backward shoe, but now has a leather pad to buffer his foot from the ground. It turns out that his old shoe had slipped a little (one nail came out) and was poking him in the heel. Poor pony! He didn't complain at all, so I didn't look closely enough. The shoe wasn't sprung, so I didn't even know. Ugh. Bad mom.

So, he's a bit sore from the shoeing, but that's not unusual. He was happy enough to go outside while I cleaned his stall, and RAN to the door to come in. He's getting bute for a few days, but I expect he will feel pretty good once everything settles down.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:50 pm

What a great vet. A pox on the people or person who was supposed to
be caring for those horses.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

I second that emotion Sue. I hope those poor rescued ponies all get better and adopted into great homes.

Poor Sabi, a nail poking him. What a lil trooper, not complaining even though he had every right to. Guess mom will keep a closer eye from now on, huh? Wink Since Sabi didn't get any foot trimmed, does that mean he'll have to get reshoed sooner next time? Or will the vet come back to at least take the xray, and see how the inside of his foot is doing?

And what will you do with all that food you had ready for the cookout? Save it for the 4th?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm

There was no nail poking Sabi's foot. His shoe was just off center and a clip (which is a raised piece of metal at the edge of the shoe) was under the edge of his foot. He squished the clip down, but it was kind of like having a lump under your sock. You feel it and it's weird.

He is a little more sore than usual. I wonder if the pad is irritating his foot. I'm going to give it through the weekend. If he isn't better by Monday, I'll ask the farrier to come and re-do that shoe. It isn't too bad. Sabi is still going out and loving every minute. But, he is a bit more limpy than he normally is when he gets a new shoe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm

There was no nail poking Sabi's foot. His shoe was just off center and a clip (which is a raised piece of metal at the edge of the shoe) was under the edge of his foot. He squished the clip down, but it was kind of like having a lump under your sock. You feel it and it's weird.

He is a little more sore than usual. I wonder if the pad is irritating his foot. I'm going to give it through the weekend. If he isn't better by Monday, I'll ask the farrier to come and re-do that shoe. It isn't too bad. Sabi is still going out and loving every minute. But, he is a bit more limpy than he normally is when he gets a new shoe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:09 pm

I hope hub & wife will both come back soon cuz I'm sorry to have missed that X-ray and possible sole care. Sabi's foot has always been such a delicate balancing act, and I feel like we didn't get enough information this last time.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:06 am

The vet feels that things have been fairly stable for the last year, so she says I don't really need to do x-rays every time. She wants to leave it up to the farrier. If he thinks he needs one, she will do it, but she thinks I will just be wasting my money taking the same picture every month. The goal from here on is every 3 or 6 months unless we have a setback.

The farrier is going to be coming back today to change the pad on the shoe. Sabi is still walking around fine, but he seems more sore to me. He (farrier) thinks the pad might be pressing on the sole, which would cause pressure where things are funny. But, since Sabi is still willing to walk/run around, we are just going to make a minor change -- probably cut a hole in the pad to keep the sole elevated above the ground but allow relief at the sore area.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Oh, I must've misunderstood.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. Sabi hasn't had a pad for a lil while so he's not used to it being there anymore. Glad to hear the vet feels his condition is stable now.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Sabi is a little less sore today. Still more sore than normal. We are going to wait until Monday to do anything in case his soreness is from the funky shoe before. If it is the pad, he won't improve too much, but if he keeps getting better, there's no reason to pull the shoe and pound on a new one. We'll see. He's still going out and I saw him running a bit today, so maybe it was the funky shoe.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Could be, sure sounds like it. Glad he feels good enough to run a bit.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 pm

The farrier came today and removed Sabi's leather pad. There was almost instant (if slight) improvement. Sabi didn't hesitate to run in at supper time. The flies were biting. He is even better tonight, so I think he soreness was just the pressure of the pad. We are going to watch him for a couple days to be sure things are going well, but I have a feeling he will be fine now.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Glad to hear that removing the pad gave him some
relief. The bugs are fierce over at Phil and Jacks.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 am

Glad to hear removing the pad seemed to have removed the source of Sabi's soreness. I don't blame him for running in to get away from the flies, the flies are horrible this year.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

He's slightly better. It's been SO hot, I just don't see him moving around much. They hang out under the trees. I would put them in the barn, but I actually think it might be a little cooler outside even with the fans running. I'm working at home today, so I'll keep a closer eye on it.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum