3D movies.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3D movies.

Post by Bob on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Okay I haven't ranted in a while (well I don't think so, so you can correct me if I'm wrong my friends) but, what is this obsession with all things 3D?
I was looking through the 'Apple trailers' this morning and lo and behoild there's a 3D version of The Lion King being released (or escaping and returning to the wild).
I love that film and can cope quite well without it being messed about with. I don't want to go to the cinema and sit with a pair of goggles on to watch a film. I just want to watch a film. The film companies do release them in 2D, I know, which says to me thjat they know there are people like me out there who just want to see a movie. No gimimicks just a GOOD script and acting.
Latest 'update' is The Three Musketeers'. How many versions of that film have there been for heavens sake? Now we get a Steampunk/3D version of it. The only thing they get right in this one is that D'Artagnan is indeed played by a teenager (he was a teenager in the book and not someone in their mid twenties as so often filmed). Poor Alexandre Dumas must be turning in his grave at the image of flying ships. Whyyyyy?
I'm sure that there are people out there who love to go to the cinema and see things flying out of the screen at them. Sorry, but I'm not one of them.
Thank you and good night. Phew
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Re: 3D movies.

Post by WarriorNY on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 am

There can only be one reason behind this 3D craze...MONEY. Why would I want to pay even more money for a movie ticket...or buy a 3D TV...or a 3DS.

I hate 3D too. Mad
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:39 pm

the reason for 3D? they want to get people to bring screaming brats to the movie theater to annoy the folks who really want to enjoy the movie. i don't know if its just an american thing or not, but the younger the kid the more they are deemed to be pure glory and anything they say or want to do HAS to be done.

3D should be used where it makes things look better or shows things in a different way.....like the occassional horror flick or something in nature. I want to know how the hell they take a 2D movie and make it 3D.
i've had enough 3 Musketeers.....the one with Keifer Sutherland and Oliver Platt is fine for me;) (though i'm sure older versions were probably more pure)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Have to join the bandwagon here. I see no point in 3D unless it adds materially to the story. If the story's good, they don't need it. If they need it to make the story good, I'm not interested. Must agree that this is just the latest money-making fad, and it's only a fad because the studios hype it. Didn't last before, won't last now.

http://blog.theavclub.tv/post/something-old-something-new
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Suzz, I agree with you about the money making. As for adding materially to the movie, well
no. See 3-d is special effects, it will not add at to the story line. As for me all it does it give me a headache..

Last edited by Sue Short on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammer, I can neither write nor speak the King's English)
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 am

jeanebellini wrote:the reason for 3D? they want to get people to bring screaming brats to the movie theater to annoy the folks who really want to enjoy the movie. i don't know if its just an american thing or not, but the younger the kid the more they are deemed to be pure glory and anything they say or want to do HAS to be done.

3D should be used where it makes things look better or shows things in a different way.....like the occassional horror flick or something in nature. I want to know how the hell they take a 2D movie and make it 3D.
i've had enough 3 Musketeers.....the one with Keifer Sutherland and Oliver Platt is fine for me;) (though i'm sure older versions were probably more pure)

Annoying brats are definitely not an American thing Jeane. I remember when I went to watch Return of the Jedi (I queued for three hours to get in) and it was almost ruined by some idiot child running up and down the aisle next to me. Temptation to stick my foot out and trip it up was great, but I fought it down.
As to the 3 Musketeers film, I really love the version with Oliver Reed and Michael York in it. Mostly for the humour.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 am

Well, theaters had to come up with a gimick, what with all the big screen TVs and home entertainment centers, so I don't blame them for trying to stay afloat. I agree that not everything in the world needs to be 3D, but I would hate for theaters to go under because people stopped going out of their houses for their entertainment
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm

As for screaming brats and other annoyances. A theater chain based in Texas has a policy of no children under
the age of 6, no unaccompanied teens and if you are caught texting or using a cell phone you are asked to leave.
They are wildly successful.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Bob, you shoulda stuck your foot out. I trust you could have been sufficiently surreptitious (eyes on screen, chomping popcorn, foot in aisle) as the little monster slid several rows away. You could have looked around in surprise with the rest of the audience, tsk'd in annoyance, and shot the mother dirty looks as she rushed to carry her little darling out of the theatre. Then watched the rest of the movie in peace! Ah, well, opportunities for evil lost. You're a better man than I, G D.

Bobcat, I hear you. Going to the movies has been a family treat, date-night classic, and genuine pleasure in our culture for roughly 100 years. I don't know what can stop the winds of change (ask the radio stars) but I do love Sue's theater idea. Great policy! (And for the kids that stamp their tiny feet and scream "No Fair!" I say, let them learn that little lesson young.)

Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm not joking Suzzz, a customer who was asked to leave because she violated their cell
phone policy left a drunken rant on their answering machine and they turned it in to a PSA
that they run before the start of the film. I've got to find the name of the chain.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Sue Short wrote:

I'm not joking Suzzz, a customer who was asked to leave because she violated their cell
phone policy left a drunken rant on their answering machine and they turned it in to a PSA
that they run before the start of the film. I've got to find the name of the chain.

Was that your theater? I heard that rant on a morning radio show on the way to work one day! Hilarious!! Twisted Evil
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 pm

oooo sue...i want to work for that theater!!! i want to go to that theater on a weekly basis! what theater was it??? (I bet there's none up this way!)

3D was originally brought out back in the 50s to bring people into the theaters and way from the tv screen. that's probably about the same reason again..but since most of the movies are aimed at little kids we know who pulls the money strings in homes today.

and bob..if it was me i woulda stuck my foot out. or at the very least walked out of the theater and found a manager, demanded the kid be removed AND demanded a replacement ticket so i could see the movie complete over again so i could enjoy it!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 pm

jeanebellini wrote:and bob..if it was me i woulda stuck my foot out. or at the very least walked out of the theater and found a manager, demanded the kid be removed AND demanded a replacement ticket so i could see the movie complete over again so i could enjoy it!

But it was the first day screening of Return of the Jedi. How could I miss that?

I love the idea of the theatre that bans kids under a certain age etc. Good policy especially as they stick to it.
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

i'm sure if they tried to do it around here they'd scream it was segration or something (i came home to find the news full of this big stink cuz ONE school wanted the kids not to have Columbus day off....they said it was racist (or there abouts)against italian americans NOT to get it off). BUt hey....i say have a theater that is 100% kid and cell phone free but have one showing a week (first showing,middle of the week) where people can bring kids to certain movies;) that way its all covered!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Sort of like "adult swim" at the local pool, only the other way around. Instead of a measly 10 minutes where all kids have to leave the pool so adults can do their laps, theater showings could be for adults only and kids could have the matinees and Saturdays until 4:00. Or something.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Okay, I found the name of the chain and they are only in Texas. It's Alamo Draft House, anyway they
are based in Austin. Look them up, I wish they had a theater near me, I'd go in a heartbeat. Anyway you can
find the rant on YouTube, it is 'R' rated.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm

ooo it sounds like a theater that sells beer with the popcorn! but hey,i wouldn' t mind if it meant enjoying my movie in peace!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum