Artie the hound dog

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Artie the hound dog

Post by gbste on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:01 pm

A week ago, I took my foster pup Edie to meet our rescue van at the shelter, where we were loading dogs for our petfair and also to transfer to other rescues. Edie had 2 good applications, so I was pretty sure that she wouldn't be coming back. I was just about ready to go home and feed my own pets when one of our volunteers walked out of the shelter and handed me this puppy. "Donna says that you'll foster him." Well, what was I going to do? I told the volunteers who were leaving for the fair to be sure and call me if Edie's adoption fell through, and brought this little guy home. I was going to call him "Winston', but it turns out that name had already been used this year. Ditto with "Elvis." Kevin nixed "Porthos" in case we ever get a beagle (???), so we ended up with "Artie." He's a pretty good little boy, but I don't think there's much beagle in him. He's already taller than most beagles at 3 months, and the head and tail are all wrong for beagles. He barks just like movie hounds do, but he usually quiets down quickly. He just doesn't want to be left alone.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: Artie the hound dog

Post by gbste on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 pm

And here's the pose I kept getting while I was trying to take his picure for Petfinder:
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Dunno, Foxhound maybe????? Cute though, I love the head tossed back in
song.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:30 pm

In the pictures I've seen, foxhounds have a stocky type of tail. It doesn't show in these pics, but Artie's tail is long and thin like a black and tan hound or a redbone hound. Also beagles and foxhounds have shorter ears than this guy has--again, his are more like those of a black and tan.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 pm

maybe he's just beagly colored.....i have no idea but i wear i saw a dog when somebody was showing new breeds this summer (could have been on The Pet Stop cuz they do that at least once a year)and there was a dog i THOUGHT was a beagle but wasn't at all! good lucky trying to find out what he is!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Well we do know one thing for sure 'He ain't nothing but a hound dog"
Rolling Eyes
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Lol, Sue! That's a hound dog for sure, and IMO those ears are pure Basset! Whatever he is, he's gonna howl until he feels safe, and after he finds his forever home he'll probably continue to howl with joy. Can't go against nature! Hopefully, G, you'll find him a good home with other hounds where everyone will take it in stride. He's a beauty!! I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:19 am

He's pretty vocal at times, but he quiets down quickly. He doesn't bark just to hear his own voice (like my schnauzer mix Abby) but when he does bark, he certainly has volume. He sometimes barks at his Wubba toy when he plays with it--too funny.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:25 am

He looks like a lot of the deer hounds people use around us. I'm not sure what kinds of dogs go into making the deer hounds, but they do look like him. He is SOOOOO cute. I just want to scritch his chin and floppy ears.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 am

He loves a good scritch! Here's an internet photo of hounds kept by deer hunters. Probably his relatives, I think.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 pm

the spotty one on the left kinda looks like him in the head....does artie's tail look like that?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Artie's tail is long like that, but very thin, like a greyhound tail, almost. Here's one of the pics that didn't work out for Petfinder--he changed directions too quickly--but it shows his tail pretty well.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Could Artie be a mix?
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:56 pm

He certainly could be a mix; in fact, I think that's likely. I listed him on Petfinder as a beagle/hound mix.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Lol! Loved that pic of the baying deer hounds! The only hound dog of my actual acquaintance was Daisy the WonderBeagle, and this does take me back. She would howl when distressed and needed to call me (read Weezer), but mostly when she was happy & excited. It's like, it all got too much for her and just had to let it out! We called it singing. Very Happy

Daisy's tail was all Beagle, shortish and very hairy. Artie's looks much more whippy. Very likely he is a mix but, to be honest, I don't think (outside of a show ring) there's a lot of diff between tri-color hounds and I'll bet most of them out there are mixes. The important thing, to me, is that they are reasonably smart dogs, perhaps a bit stubborn headstrong focused, very good natured, happy to follow their noses, and happy to sing when the spirit moves them. Certainly loving and loyal. Best of luck to Artie!

BTW, I know these are only pics from him being in public and maybe it was necessary, but his collar looks too tight to me!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 am

A good three fingers fit underneath the collar. He has so much loose skin that it makes the collar look tighter than it is. I have a new collar for him though. The one he has on is too skinny to be comfortable when he's on a leash.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

oh...he has a TOOTHPICK tail! tongue
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

gbste wrote:A good three fingers fit underneath the collar. He has so much loose skin that it makes the collar look tighter than it is. I have a new collar for him though. The one he has on is too skinny to be comfortable when he's on a leash.

Thanks, gbste, 3 fingers is all I need to hear. Sorry to step in like that when I know you know your business. Embarassed I do think he'll be more comfortable with a wider one, although the silly boy may not even notice! What's under his nose is no doubt his main concern when he's out and about. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am

I thought the collar looked tight too, especially in the photo of him howling, but I know gbste knows her critters well. On a semi-related note, Argo's lost enough of his "puppy weight" that we have to snug up his harness! Yay for Argo!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey, I appreciate the occasional heads up. He has his new collar now, and it at least looks more comfy. It's a "Spiffy Dog" collar that was donated to SCARF by the Wag n Wash folks. The price tags, clearance price mind you, on those collars was $9.00, so it had better be comfortable.

Kevin tends to keep a pretty tight leash when we're trying to get pictures, and puppies tend to strain against it, so that made the collar look even tighter.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 pm

i never think about you guys needing collars! over the years i've bought collars marked down but they've just gotten tossed around here. i need to start a box so when i find htem i can pop them in and send them to you!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Wow...the head back in mid-howl brought back memories of a howlin' hound that ARNI had a while back. Never realized how "echo-ee" Petsmart was until we got that guy! tongue
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 pm

jeanebellini wrote:i never think about you guys needing collars! over the years i've bought collars marked down but they've just gotten tossed around here. i need to start a box so when i find htem i can pop them in and send them to you!

I suspect most rescues and shelters would welcome collar donations --- is that true, Arni and Gbste?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Rescues like ours can always use collars, leashes, bedding, toys etc. All our animals are in foster homes as we don't have a shelter. Things wear out with many washings and wearings, or get sent along with animals so they have something familiar in their new homes. We also transport lots of animals from the kill shelters in our area to no kill rescues up north, and things end up going along with the dogs. People donate things that help us give these pups and kitties a little bit of comfort while we have them in our care
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Artie went with us to the Petfair today. He didn't find his forever home, but a man who works at the store where we have our fair told me that he believes Artie to be a treeing walker coonhound. He has 3 different types of coonhounds at his home, and really wanted to adopt Artie too, but his wife didn't think it was a good idea. He told me that there will be a special adoption day for coonhounds put on by the Colorado Coonhound Rescue on the 18th, and that perhaps Artie can go to that and meet some other houndie dogs, and maybe find a home as well. We'll see if we can work that out.
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum