X gets a tummy ache

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: X gets a tummy ache

Post by Sue Short on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 pm

You know I think it's X. You see if you look up the name Xavier it has a lot of positive
connections. Having lived in Chicago and know several two legged Xavier's that use X as
a nick name. Not a bad name.
c
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Mr. Wonderpants. I love it! Laughing I think he prefers X though. (still LOL)

He did fine with Envoy going away today. When I pulled in and Envoy didn't get out of the trailer, he looked a little worried. But, I explained that Envoy will always come home. He just sometimes goes away for weeks at a time. So, X settled right into his hay and sniffed noses with Sabi a little. I think he'll be fine.

On another subject, the blankets are all hanging out in the rain. They should be ready for the laundry next weekend.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

I couldn't help but chuckle when mom had us stop at Dollar Tree on our way back from the senior fair Saturday. I saw the toilet brushes and had a sudden flash of you beating the blankets with them.....had to explain to mom why I was chuckling.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

I think X trusts you and Sabi about Envoy. Y'all being relaxed and confident about E's going away must reassure him.

And if Mr. WP is okay with "X" I certainly am! Y'all may ease into a new name for him someday, but on the other hand, (zen-like, as animals are wont to be), he might never really care that much. As long as he has you, his buddies and his home, being there is very likely enough.

Funny moment with the potty brushes, Fif!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 pm

His attitude these days is "as long as you don't call me late for dinner!" Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 am

Rolling Eyes That's all I got to say.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

bpaquet wrote:His attitude these days is "as long as you don't call me late for dinner!" Laughing

Lord, that reminds me of so many furkids I've known in my life, including Bij............... LOL
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 pm

He's acting extra hungry these days. I think it's because he's in full shed. His hair is falling off in huge snow piles. He's going to be fluffy this winter. Today, though, he rolled in the mud. He's more brown than white. Sigh...
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Very Happy Sounds like he stocking up some calories for the
winter.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 am

Not a bad idea when you're a tad underweight going into the season. I imagine X will have a huge appetite for a while, fattening up for winter.

Can't wait to see a pic of him in full fluffy winter coat.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Sounds like X's tummy is finally catching up to his new safe circs and finally tucking in. I'm glad! Watch him; he's liable to get ((fat)) as well as happy! Laughing

I may have said this before, but when we first found Shop Dog, abandoned, starving and broken by the highway, she had to have lots of leg surgery which meant most of her hind end was shaved. It took forever for her hair to grow back (most worrisome), and the vet said her body had shut down to the point that all bodily functions went into keeping her most vital functions functioning, and hair growth was the least of these. That X is shedding hair and preparing to fluff out for Winter is, to me a great sign! Very Happy

And isn't it wonderful that he feels happy and content enough to roll in the mud? Shocked affraid ROTFL
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I always keep an eye on the horses to make sure they aren't getting fat. That is dangerous because it can cause laminitis, and I've seen enough of THAT. Shocked But, X is just getting to the lower end of ok, so he has a while to go before I really have to start cutting him back. He's still getting quite a bit of grain and hay in addition to the grass. (Grass is growing like weeds since we've had so much rain!)

I will take some pix when he's cleaned up a bit. He isn't fluffy yet, but he's definitely growing some hair. Maybe it will finally make the leftover signs of the rain rot disappear. He has a patch on his back where you can see how bad off he was. Once he does get fluffy, that should disappear.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:01 pm

The vet came yesterday and said X is doing really good. He is putting fat on in all the right places. Now, we should start light riding to get him muscled up a bit. I can also cut him back a little on food. If he starts losing, I can always up it again. Of course, he loves his food and will probably be sad to see his dish get smaller, but I do want to keep him healthy. More hay, less grain!

I still have to take pictures. He is all fluffed out now, and has topped the fluff with a nice coat of mud. I might be able to get a shot or two on Sunday. Now that the time's changed, I leave when it's dark and get home after it's dark. Not good picture taking.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 am

That's great. He has really come along a treat. You know Becky, if I had to lay a horse up
I would them to you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm so happy to hear that vet report! Have you discussed the light ride proposal yet with X?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I have mentioned it. I think I'll try over the Thanksgiving weekend so I have light. He seems like a good sort and agreed that carrying me around for a little while wouldn't be too bad. I need to put together my "everybody" bridle so he can have something. Envoy's is completely Envoy's. I hope one of Envoy's hand-me-down bits will be the right size.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm

I have limited childhood experience with riding horses, but isn't there something called a hackamore (or something like that) that doesn't even use a bit?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 pm

A hackmore or hack can be rather serve. Also it's used more in western riding than English.
It's an awful lot of control.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:32 am

A hackamore has "arms" that can exert a lot of leverage on the horse's head. If you pull on it too hard, you can actually cause a horse to stumble or fall because you crank their heads too far back. Like Sue said, it can be very severe.

Arabian trail riders often use bosals, which are a big loop of rawhide covered in soft leather (and sometimes fancy stuff too). It just goes around the nose and the reins hook to a point under the jaw. They can be very wonderful steering mechanisms, but I would like to know a horse well before I used one.

I have several different sized bits of the loose ring or eggbutt snaffle variety. (http://www.doversaddlery.com/bits/c/86/l/2/c2c/ln/) So, I'll try those first. If I need to, I'm sure I can swap with friends. We all collect this stuff. Laughing The only thing I really need to make sure of is that it's wide enough that his cheeks don't get rubbed or pinched and that the mouthpiece is comfortable for him. He'll let me know before we start riding, so it isn't a big deal.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:17 pm

When you first go out on him I wish you both a lot of good luck, and have some fun too.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Do you know if he has been ridden before?
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm

That is a good question. My favorite bit for a green horse is a smooth D ring.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 pm

He has been ridden. The rescue people gave me an evaluation when I asked about him. Apparently, he is a little green, but a generally nice guy. They said he bucked a little when they asked him to canter, but my thought is that he might have had a saddle that didn't quite fit. If he was ok at other gaits and just acted up at the canter, the saddle probably just slipped and made him go "Ouch!" We'll see. Our first several rides will be walk only since he has no muscle tone.

I'm going to try my eggbutt snaffle on him and see if that is good for him. It's a no fuss kind of bit, and I don't have a D ring. I like those too for greenies. I actually have a mullenmouth eggbutt that I've used on babies. They love that.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:58 pm

That's not an unreasonable idea. With no muscle tone, it will be walk and more walk. Trot, then walk some
more. You can teach a horse more at those two gaits than anything else. Along with figure eights, half turns,
serpintines. You know Becky, you mentioned the bosal, I think the reining crowd uses them on their young stock, or is
it cutting horses.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Even just walking around with the feller sounds like a whole lotta fun! I love you
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum