X gets a tummy ache

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: X gets a tummy ache

Post by Sue Short on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:57 pm

That's great news and unlike people the ponies won't complain about wearing hand
me downs.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 pm

I need to take the blankets to the laundry. I didn't put them away like I should have and they're a bit stinky. I'm going to hang them over the fence for the weekend so the rain can freshen them up a bit, but then I'll have to wash them again. That'll teach me to be lazy!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Alert: Off Topic (please forgive me):

How the heck do you wash something like that? The reason I ask is I have a big stack of towels and fleece blankets I've used as bedding for the dog & cat that are so imbedded with fur that I can't bear to send them through my washer. I know the the residue will end up on my clothes when they go in next, and may even clog my old washer, not to mention my old plumbing. I can't afford to fix (much less replace) either one, so I just buy new, cheap replacement towels & blankies. Yet I can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good (hairy) linen, so the stack grows. It just seems like such a waste. Any suggestions? Anyone?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 pm

DEEP BREATH here Suzz. Go to a laundrymant, washateris . Spend about five dollars.
Problem solved. Use hot water, detergent, vinegar and baking soda. Like i said problem
solved. One other thing, go for breakfast while they are in the wash cycle, go marketing while
they are drying.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I've thought of that, Sue, and don't mind going to a laundromat, but I know the next poor soul who puts her clothes in that washer is going to end up with clothes covered in cat & dog hair. If I'm not willing to do it to myself, how can I inflict it on some poor stranger? You see the moral dilemma.

Maybe I should just throw them all away. At least the rats at the landfill will have some bedding for the winter.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Okay, take a bottle of bleach with you when you pull your things out
of the washing machine. Take a rag put some bleach on it an wipe the machine down. That should take
care of the problem.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 am

OOO! I hadn't thought of that. I take the blankets to the laundromat since they have huge washers. But, instead of spending extra $$ on a hot, empty load to wash the thing out, I could just bleach it. Great idea, Sue. Thanks!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:53 am

Make sure you rinse the washer out after the bleach treatment, or the next person to use the machine might get bleached out clothes. I had that happen once, to a brand new denim dress (I don't get many of those). I was upset beyond words, that dress wasn't cheap. Laundramats don't clean the machines like they used to so that won't happen.

Have you thought of running them through a dryer for a long time? Just keep it tumbling, clean out the lint trap every so often. That gets a lot of hair out of blankets that is deeply embedded.

Glad to hear Xavier can use Envoy's handmedowns. Gives you more money to spend on good food to fatten him up instead.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't think I want to go to my local laundromat and wash a big pile of towels, then wipe the washer down with bleach afterwards. Can you imagine the suspicious looks I'd get from the regulars?? Besides, my towels aren't particularly dirty, they're just hairy. Bleach won't mitigate hair. Plus, like Jeane said, leaving a residue of bleach might be worse on the next person than dog hair. Becky, I think running an empty cycle after yours is a great idea; I hadn't thought of that. Maybe add a drop or two of bleach to the water if you want, but not much.

I did have one other idea. Maybe I'll call the 2 shelters in my area, explain what I've got, and see if they want them. They must deal with washing hairy linen all the time, and if they're prepared to deal with it they can have lots of free towels & blanks.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:03 pm

That's brilliant. I know the local laundromat has lots of people wash horse blankets because we have quite a few horse places around the area. But, the shelter probably has some really good suggestions. I didn't think of bleach residue. I don't use bleach in my own laundry because it seems to eat the clothes quicker, so DUH! Why would I subject someone else's laundry to that?

Fiff, I can't run the blankets through the dryer because that ruins the waterproofing of the outer layer. Something about the heat...
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm

X made a kid friend today. A guy from the propane company came to talk about installing a new tank for our upcoming standby generator. He had his kids with him because they were home from school and his wife was at work. His little girl (in 1st grade) was fascinated by X's white coat. I gave her some treats to feed him, but she was scared of his big lips. So, I fed him treats while she petted him. He was sweet, but I think he prefers adults. She was too jumpy for him. Envoy, on the other hand, thought she was fascinating. He wondered what that little person was doing, but it didn't scare him at all. Sabi stayed aloof.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Sounds like they all behaved like gentlemen and interacted at their own comfort level. Good boys! That Envoy is a treat. Open to new experiences, even excitable children. Must say, I identify most with Sabi. tongue
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Same here, Suzzz. Still glad to hear that X and all the rest were gentlemen. Then again I wouldn't
expect anything less from your boys.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 am

Becky, you can still put them in the dryer, just set it to "cool" or "tumble". That runs the clothes through the cycle without heat, just removes the moisture and hair. If the hair is really embedded badly, you can always try running a furminator lightly over the surface............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm lucky because the blankets have soft nylon linings that do not collect hair. A good brushing with a body brush flicks the hair off. I just have a problem now with general barn dust and (EEK) some left over mud dauber mud. Those silly things tried to build a nest under the blanket!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 am

Sounds like those blankets need a good old fashioned mega beating over a clothesline.............that would get rid of a lot of dirt and mud. Unfortunately, if you don't mind what direction the wind is blowing when you do it most of it will end up on you.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Lol, Fif! When the mud daubers were mentioned, my first thought was to slap those blanks against a post! Twisted Evil
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Fortunately, the daubers are gone. But their silly nests messed things up. I have a pre-wash routine that involves hanging the blankets over the fence and beating them with a toilet brush (unused of course). Then, I run a shop vac over them and hose them down. Then, when they've dried well enough to lift easily, I haul them to the laundry for freshening. Then, I hang them back on the fence to dry. It's an all day kind of thing. I better get inspired before the cold gets here or the boys will be wearing dirty clothes!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Becky, you're way ahead of us amateurs, as usual. Thanks for being so patient when we tell you things you already know! Embarassed As goofy as the weather is, sounds like you've got a long day coming up one of these weekends soon. Suspect
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Becky, I'm still chuckling over the visual of you beating those blankets with a toilet brush............guess you can't get a good wire rug beater at the local market, huh?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I haven't seen an old fashioned rug beater anywhere in years. The toilet brush it is. Sigh... It does look kind of ridiculous.

The boys aren't having any adventures. It's miserable and rainy and it's supposed to stay that way. X will be getting some separation training starting this weekend. Envoy will be going to the trainer's house for about 10 days before we go to a long weekend clinic in October. I think X will be fine. He will have his Sabi -- who has been bossing him around. The two of them can work things out without Envoy to get in the way. Laughing
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:50 am

You can always use the alternative ladies used when they didn't have a rugbeater: a good sized broom. Any wonder husbands didn't come around when the ladies were doing their heavy duty cleaning?
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 pm

If X sees Envoy load up and go and that Sabi says "see ya later" with no worries, maybe he'll trust his buddy that this is routine and okay. Even if does worry while Envoy's gone, he's going to have to learn the routine for himself eventually. I agree, he and Sabi could use the 1 on 1 time.

Becky, are you still calling him Xavier in the barn?
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I've been calling him Buddy, XMan, and You. He hasn't told me his nickname yet. I want to call him Lucky, but it just doesn't seem to fit him. I'm just not sure. This is the first time I've met an animal who doesn't care what he's called. Poor guy. Xavier is such a formal name. He really needs a barn name. Shoot! Envoy's barn name is Big Pony. Sabi is Roo.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Poor old boy, he probably doesn't really have a name for himself yet, just Me. He is starting from scratch here, after all. It may take him a while to find out who he is, but once he gets used to being a safe and, God willing, happy horse, you'll both figure it out. Personally, I'm calling him Wonder. (Or, more formally, Mr. Wonderpants.) "Lucky" doesn't begin to describe him. He's a wonder. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum