X gets a tummy ache

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: X gets a tummy ache

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I don't suppose the fans are currently working in the barn. May you get power soon! VERY glad to hear there was so little damage.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:07 am

Glad no major damage. Can you cut the tree up for firewood?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, might as well recycle it in to something useful. Any idea when power will be restored so you can get the barn fans back on? I'm sure X was very happy to see home again even without them but those bugs can be very pesky..........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 pm

It's a gum tree, so it's not the best for the wood stove, but we are going to put it on the burn pile for our Halloween bonfire. It should be a good big one this year.

X is FILTHY! He found a wonderful mud puddle. He is a wonderful color of brown/gray/black/green. Underneath, you can see his white hair. I'd better bathe him soon. The weather is very cool for the end of August. I guess we'll have another hot spell before September is over.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 pm

That has got to be quiet a spectacle Smile
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 pm

Give that boy the hose before the "green" makes him itch! Urp Oh, X must have been ecstatic to be HOME!
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:05 am

well,i guess that's what you'd call a horse of a different color Shocked
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Do horses normally attach themselves to their new family with such intensity so quickly? Either way, its awfully endearing Smile I love you
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Fortunately, a good brushing got all the mud/grass/??? off X. He isn't shiny white, but he's much cleaner.

Arni, I'm not sure if this quick and very strong attachment is normal. I think X has a lot of baggage, and that makes him much more needy. He cries if he's alone, and he is very worried about leaving his spot. I hope as things settle down for him that he gets calmer. He really has been here for only a few months. (I need to take some pictures! He looks like a real horse now.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Like I said earlier, X is no dummy. He's sweet and he's smart. He's seen it all, and he knows he's landed in heaven on earth. He just has no confidence it won't be snatched away from him without warning, like every other good thing he's ever glimpsed. It's going to take a while for him to feel secure, and nothing but time will make that happen. Give him a kiss for me, will you, Becky?

I'd love to see what he looks like now! *hint hint*
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I wish you'd taken a pic of him as a horse of many colors! LOL I agree with Suzzzz on the no confidence bit....he's been through so much so far in his life.

I would also love to see an updated pic of him now that he's put on some weight and looks more normal now. I'll bet he's getting to be a very handsome fellow.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 pm

There will be many opportunities, I'm sure. Gray horses never stay white. Laughing (Yes, he's technically gray even though his hair is white. His skin is black, so he's called a gray. Makes sense, right?)

Tonight, I rode Envoy and gave everybody a good brushing. They all seemed very grateful for the attention. Sabi nuzzled me when I got his itchy spot and X was giving little happy grunts when I was brushing his sides. They are all shedding to get ready for winter, so I'm sure they feel better having all that dirt and dead hair off their sides and necks.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

OOOO, I can see the shedded hair now: all colors of the rainbow thanks to X. The birds can really go wild decorating their nests for next spring.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

You would think that after an afternoon of pouring rain, X would be nice and clean. But NO! He is dingy. Poor guy. I think I need to pull out the soap and start scrubbing. I have a feeling that this gray horse ownership is going to be good for the shampoo industry!
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

So what company should we buy stock in? You know I never thought about the
horses being needy, then again there are some that become herd bound. I don't think
I've ever seen anything like what you're describing. Hopefully he will have settled down by
next spring, I gather you've already started some ground work. Question
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Not only will it be good for the shampoo industry but you will be building some serious muscles in your arms too from all that scrubbing. Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Today we discovered that we need to add walking away from the farm to our ground work. X has always had a little problem with how much space to give people. He isn't pushy, but he just gets a little too close. He has come a long way with that and he no longer crowds people who try to lead him to/from the pasture. We have also worked on manners with food and backing up.

Today, I brought him into the barn to get his feet done. The other 2 were in the pasture. He was good for the first 2 feet, then he started to get really worried and wiggled around. I ended up having to put a stud chain over his nose to keep his attention. He wasn't being violent, but he was a bit dangerous because he kept trying to go back out to see his buddies. Fortunately, the farrier understands that he has some leftover anxiety from whatever happened to him before.

So, this afternoon, we walked down the road. I just put his halter on with a stud chain attached just in case. (Better safe than sorry!) We got about 1/4 mile down the road and turned around because we were getting drained by the mosquitoes. He did very well and didn't need the stud chain. We then walked past the driveway and had some difficulty with spinning and freaking. We made it through that and continued down the road for a few more steps. I turned him around before the guy in the car had a meltdown. We walked calmly back and stopped every once in a while to make sure he was listening.

We will continue this exercise every few days for the next few months. I cannot stand a dangerous horse. He is a smart guy who will come to understand that he will always come back to his friends. He just needs to let us people be with him and give us his attention for a little while. So, we know what our next couple of months hold for us. Neutral
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:11 am

You're so right the winter will be interesting. Like you said he's a smart boy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:14 pm

He is a very smart pony, and will figure out he's with you for good. No matter where you take him he'll always come home again to his friends and family. Just will take a while for that to sink in for good in his "been through too much, seen too much" noggin.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Your infinite patience and willingness to work with him is inspiring, Becky. I have great faith that X will overcome his baggage and learn his manners. He doesn't yet know how lucky he is to have fallen into such good hands all round. But given the gift of time and regular steady work, I believe he will.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm sure he'll come around. I will, however, bring in the others when the farrier is here. No reason for him to get hurt! He's too nice (and valuable).
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Today's walk was better. I had to use the stud chain a couple times to keep his attention, but he was much less nervous on his walk. He even checked out a pile of concrete on the side of the road. He put his nose down and just watched it as he walked by. He's going to be so fun to ride!

Poor Sabi was calling as we walked away. He doesn't like his buddies to leave. Even though Envoy was there to keep him company, he wanted everybody to be in the pasture.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Glad to hear everything went well. He really is a sensible and kind
boy.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Awwwww, Sabi missed his new buddy. It's wonderful they've bonded so well in such a short amount of time.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 pm

No walking or anything tonight. It was storming like crazy as our 90 degree day turned into autumn. X did try on a hand-me-down sheet from Envoy. It pretty much fits. It's too small for Envoy, and just fits X. I hope it still fits with the liner under it. I think it will. It would be so nice not to have to buy a new blanket/sheet for winter.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum