X gets a tummy ache

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

X gets a tummy ache

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am

When I fed dinner last night, X did not want to eat his. This is VERY unusual. He normally digs in with his mouth wide open to shovel in as much food as possible. (It's pretty cute.) So, when he picked at his grain, I was concerned. Everything else seemed ok. He wasn't sweaty. His temperature/heart rate/capillary refill rate/breathing were normal, and his eyes were bright. So, I threw down some hay. He munched on that ok. I called the vet.

She agreed with me that it didn't sound like an emergency, but he probably had a bad case of gas. (Gas colics aren't unusual when the grass greens up or things change in the horse's environment. Maybe he reacted to the earthquake. Question ) She recommended giving him some bute and walking him around for a while just to see if we could get things kick started in his tummy.

Well... After about 25 minutes of walking around the dark pastures, he stopped and looked at me. He raised his tail, FARTED loud, and took a nice big dump. I don't think I've ever been happier to see horse poop. We went back to his stall where he looked like he was about to drop to the floor from exhaustion. Still no sweating or obvious signs of distress, just big tiredness. After about 15 minutes of that, he woke up and started munching hay and grain normally.

This morning, he was waiting at his door like usual. I fed him a small breakfast and he cleaned that up. He also left me a nice pile in his stall. So, it looks like things are back to normal. Thank GOD! I can't have a bad-off horse and prepare for a hurricane. It looks like we'll be leaving town unless the thing changes course before lunch today.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Re: X gets a tummy ache

Post by fiffur on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm

OhMy.............I can't imagine a horsie fart............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:01 pm

There was a Seinfeld episode like that, with a NY carriage horse - and Kramer, of course.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 pm

good luck, and I hope you don't have to evacuate
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:01 pm

At first when I saw the name of this topic I went "AUGH!!!!!! Colic" When I finished I was laughing so
hard I had tears in my eyes. Glad I didn't have to pick that stall affraid
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:04 pm

oh yeah i saw the episode....i can easily imagine it and can see it happening in my mind's eye.
i can only imagine the pain he was going through though...human gas is bad enough!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds like X's tummy isn't quite used yet to such luxury care. I'm glad he's okay! *whew!*

Where will you take them, Becky? I guess that's a question for a different topic. I'll ask elsewhere as well.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Things seem more normal today. He still isn't shoveling the food, but he was eager to get dinner and ate smaller bites. But, at least he ate. Poor guy was out a few minutes too long. The gnats were gnawing and he was frantic. But, as soon as he got under his fan, he was a happy pony. Thank goodness he is ok. We travel soon. It looks pretty grim for our area, so I take Envoy tomorrow and X/Sabi in Friday. Sigh... I hate evacuating. (More in the Off Topic forum.)
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 am

I can imagine. Still glad you all have a safe place to go to.
For some reason I thought the storm was tracking further east of you.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm glad X's tummy has settled down now. He won't be going through all the tummy gas upsets traveling during your evac away from that storm.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Even if the storm goes east/west of us, we will get wind, rain, flooding tides. I'm leaving because I'd rather over-react and laugh at myself later than be stuck on a flooded farm kicking myself in the rear.

Poor X. His first adventure as part of the family is an evacuation. I hope his tummy stays settled for the whole thing.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 pm

No disagreement here. Tonio and I have slept more than a few nights in the
hallway because of bad weather.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm a bit worried about X's tummy, too, but all you can do is deal with it as best you can if it happens. The main thing is to keep them safe, and that you're doing. I'm not too worried about X himself. He's a good boy who's been through much worse than a loving family and stalwart veteran pals like Sabi & Envoy to go through this with him.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm packing bute for Sabi's foot and X's tummy if needed, so we should be ok. This is Envoy's first hurricane evacuation. It's hard to believe, but this is our first evacuation storm in 8 years. The racetrack people said there were 150 horses coming as of this afternoon. That's a lot of horses, but not as many as I expected.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:38 pm

At least being at the track your guys can 'talk' to their horsie neighbors and maybe visit in the aisle. I'm so glad the track made those arrangements for the horses and their humans.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 pm

The track is awesome. They made arrangements so people can come in whenever. The interstates are so backed up that many people wouldn't be able to make it by 10 when they usually close. As we were leaving, the Virginia Beach Police were bringing their horses in. I will definitely recommend the track to people since they were so nice. And, the Southern States Cooperative in Richmond was wonderful as well. They had straw available to bed stalls so we didn't have to carry in our own bedding.

X rode up with Sabi. He needs to work on loading into the trailer. He was a bit anxious about that, but he did pretty well and rode like a champ. He had trouble backing out since he is used to a step up trailer and I have a ramp. He kept looking for where the floor would disappear. He was very surprised when it didn't.

He was also FRANTIC when Envoy finally showed up. I brought Sabi and X first while Envoy waited at my friend's house and rode up at the same time as her horses. When he pulled in, X just about busted out of his stall. He was very worried that his friend wouldn't be there. They were really cute when I brought Envoy out of the trailer and let him stand in the aisle to sniff on his friends.

Everyone settled in and started munching hay. As soon as all the horses were tucked in, we fed dinner and made sure water buckets were full. We will be going back early tomorrow morning to feed breakfast before the weather gets too terrible. I hope the worst has passed by dinner time. I will make sure everyone has enough hay to last just in case it's too terrible to drive back. We know some people who are staying in campers at the track, so we might ask them to throw feed in case it is that bad. We can definitely leave bags of food for everybody.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:50 am

I am so glad to hear you arrived at the track safely. From his reaction, it seems X is very dependant on both of his new friends to be there with him. I hope he's more relaxed about that when Envoy goes back to school. I'm sure more than a few people were smiling when they saw your three together sniffing noses.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Becky, I'm SO happy to read your report! Everyone has been so great, caring for the horses! Makes me quite verklempt.

Also very touched at how necessary Envoy's safety seems to be to our X. He's seen bad times; who knows what sadness he's witnessed? That he was frantic with joy and relief at seeing Envoy get off that trailer just fills my heart. I'm sure they'll be fine, now that they're all together.

How's the kitty hotel room? Check in when you can, love.

Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Glad to hear the guys have settled in. That's interesting about X, still glad he is handling all this so well,
and the other guys are being such troopers. Check in when you can,
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:52 pm

i'm so glad the track folks are so helpful....its good to hear that over here in the east coast a lot of good work is being done for the animals. (I"ve only been reading one report...and i don't go too deep into it..its on a fb thing i get...about a dog in i think NC they were fighting to get rescues cuz it was being left behind outside in a pen.
here's hoping all the critters in the east got to ride the storm out in peace and comfort!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 pm

I think hurricanes must make horses not want to get into trailers. On Friday when we were loading up, X didn't want to get in the trailer. He wasn't bad, but he just didn't want to get on the trailer. He finally decided to join his buddy Sabi and go meet Envoy at the track. He slipped a little getting out because he expected a step down into space. I have a ramp, so there's no drop. He was surprised. But, he got off quietly.

On the way home, he marched right into the trailer and got off with no confusion. Hmmm... It must have been the approaching storm. I can't figure out why else he would have been so hesitant to get in on the way out.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, it seems obvious to me. On the first day, he knew he was leaving home. On the way back, he knew he was going home. Our X may be biddable, but he's no dummy.

Gateway calls it HOME in all caps. I think X does, too. I love you
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Glad that everybody is back safely. Any damage at your place?
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm

I agree, X knew the difference between leaving home and coming back to it. He didn't want to leave what was finally a good happy home. Probably afraid he would never see it again.

Yeah, were any of the paddocks flooded? Any damage?

fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm

We have one tree down in the back of the big pasture, but it didn't take any important fence with it. The only other sign of a storm is some branches in the yard. We miraculously escaped damage but lost power anyway!

X is enjoying his stall. The storm did bring in more mosquitoes and flies. So, he is hoping the cooler weather continues to keep those bugs from getting crazy.
bpaquet
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum