Comfort Foods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Comfort Foods

Post by BobCat on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Do you have a favorite? Maybe you have different ones for different seasons? I tend to think of comfort food as winter time food, but I may have a summer time comfort food - if I think about it hard enough...

We have a Romanian soup that is a variation on Chicken Paprikash, so it's either referred to around our house as Paprikash Soup or Sour Cream Chicken Soup. It's quite heavy, so it's strictly a cooler weather soup, served with lots of crusty bread for dunking. It's absolutely divine, and one of the few reasons to ever look forward to cooler temps.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Comfort Foods

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

there's something i was raised with that was just made in the summer and made only for holidays (memorial day, 4th of July, labor day)...but when i had my own place i made it all the time in the summer.
mom called it 'meal salad'.....the way we had to make it (because of my father's demands) was either small or medium shell or elbow macaroni, drained kidney beans, drained peas, onion and celery chopped and miracle whip.
BUT mom said when her mom made it it had cheese and hard boiled egg.
SO when i make it it has all the above (though i like frozen peas...they thaw when you drain the mac over them)plus carrots and radishes if i can get them. then as i go through the week (cuz there's always enough for at least one meal a day for a week or more!)i add different things.starts with cheese and boiled eggs and whatever meat it around (ham or spam is good as well as tuna)and some chopped drained tomatoes get put in a couple days later and maybe some chick peas......all pretty much good for ya;)
and you can put in salt and pepper or mrs dash and garlic or whatever you want to jazz it up.
its hard to think about cold weather food in the summer though...i have to think about that:)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 pm

don't know how i missed this.
I've got a few "comfort" foods, and yes, they seem to tend to be more winter items, maybe it's the warmth of them .
I love noodle pudding, for one, made with those flat egg noodles, cottage cheese (or ricotta), and golden raisins.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 pm

My mom's homemade mac n cheese, made with tomato soup in it. Haven't had that in a long time though. Another comfort food is tuna and potato chip casserole. Our version just has tuna, potato chips, and milk......baked until the chips are crisp on top again.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm resurrecting this topic because it's cold and has been snowing, so I want my Chicken Paprikash soup again! I'll start it tonight, but we probably won't have it for dinner until tomorrow. Yummy!
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Wish I could have my mom's mac n cheese but I can't handle the carbs in the noodles anymore. Still looking around for a low carb version of hot chocolate!
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum