arts and crafts

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

arts and crafts

Post by lovekitties on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:07 pm

I found out about a leather store in greenwich village. I want to go there to see if i can get any scrap leather to make some medicine bags, and as a backing for a beaded medallion necklace i made, and also to make a pouch for the flute I'm working on
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Re: arts and crafts

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:19 pm

oo do they sell just leather or do they sell kits to make things? there was a purse i had back home that i'd like to make if i could find it. tandy used to have the best kits but since they were taken over by radio shack(?)they're really hard to find. i'm not that hip to leather things, but i'd like to have something i had from childhood.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm

There's three different Tandy leather purse kits on ebay right now Jeane. One on amazon.com too. And if those aren't what you're looking for try here: www.tandyleatherfactory.com/storesearch.aspx you can buy the kits direct or find a store that has them (there is one in Syracus, NY). You can even order a catalog from them there.

Finished with the schmousie tails, now will embroider the eyes tonight.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:54 pm

oh,i rarely bother with ebay at all anymore....i don't really buy anything other than food and things that i need to make food.(I've needed to replace batteries in several watches for months now but keep telling myself i need the food more).
i'll check and see if i can get a catalog though...loved looking through those tandy catalogs as a kid.

i went to their website and found the one i had as a kid (though i'd need to get a leather stamp to make it correctly to match...the one i had had flowers stamped on it).
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Kits/4109-00.aspx?feature=Product_122
they used to have it in two different sizes..the small coin purse and a larger one that was more like a clutch
here's another coin purse/wallet....
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Kits/44102-00.aspx?feature=Product_158
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 pm

I remember those. I might send for a catalog myself, just to see what they have. I used to have one of the big "Beginning Leathercraft" kits when I was a kid. I think my mom still has it.

I see they take resumes online for jobs too, I wonder if they have any openings that would pay better than what you have. Relocation is a must unfortunately but they have 401K and everything from what I read.

Got half the batch embroidered, only have about 70 more eyeless schmice to go........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:14 pm

I don't know how comfortable i'd feel working for a place that sells just leather things. i had a very hard time (and almost lost my job soon after i got it) when i worked at the clothes store cuz they sold fur coats, i worked in the area where they sold the coats and i HAD to sell them or lose my job.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Finished with that batch of toys, now starting in on another month's worth of toys. Bijoux was my lil supervisor last night when he wasn't cruising for more strawberry marshmellows.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm

i'm working two blankets at once right now....one is just one stripe of color per row and the other is a knit one that i'm using the bigger balls of yarn for. don't think i'll finish either today but will by the end of the week.
i'm going to have to count the ones i've got made up and email the lady i need to bring them to to make sure she'll be at work when i bring them.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Got a few more toys made last night, when I could keep Bijoux out of my yarn bag (he was looking for those strawberry marshmellows again!).
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 pm

i've got to make something for Nobe to sleep on that i can lift out easily.....i was told yesterday that they found BUGS in the blanket she'd been sleeping on (why they didn't wash the blanket then and there i don't know so don't ask). i washed the blanket in hot water and hung it out on the line where its going to stay until i gets refreshed enough.
I have a sweatshirt that has one sleeve chewed up...brand new sweatshirt chewed up....so i'm going to make one of those sweatshirt 'beds'. the problem is she likes to 'burrow'...i'm thinking of putting a cardboard box i there on its side so she'll short of have a little cave to hide in but can be easily moved and/or tossed out.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:10 pm

What chewed up the shirt, mice? I don't understand why they didn't wash that blanket asap either. They should have.

Will work on a few more toys tonight, the annual fundraiser is in Sept and you can't start too early crafting stuff for that.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 pm

yesh a shmouse was in a dresser drawer and decided it wanted some bright pink fuzz for its nest. nobe really seems to like her new bed. if i was able to download my pics froml camera to net i'd be able to show you guys! i have a really nice pic of her all snuggled in.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm glad to hear she likes it. Wish I could see the pics...........
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:54 pm

wish i could load the pictures in!
i'm going to have to wash it Mon when i'm off cuz she's barfed on it twice...i turned it over and when i came home tonight there was another spot on it. I think its either too hot, too much yellowy red cat hair or the food she's been getting isn't setting well. i got some friskies indoors to mix in with the Good Life and hope that helps.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Could be the heat is getting to her and upsetting her tummy.

Still making more toys, the fundraiser is only 2 months away.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I've got a leather pouch class in a few weeks at the museum.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 pm

could be but its more likely hair balls. I can't brush or comb her very well cuz she doesn't come out where i can get at her for very long AND she likes to bite. she's been good but just when i think she's going to stay good all of a sudden she chomps on my hand like its a piece of chicken!)
lk have you gotten to the leather place to check it out yet?
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Maybe you need a pair of welding gloves to brush her, then when she tries to nail you with her claws or teeth they can't penetrate and hurt you.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm

naw,not worth the expense if i could find them. i don't mind the bites cuz they don't happen that often. i just don't want her doing it in case she has to be fostered or taken to a shelter...i tell her she needs to be a good cat all the time cuz if she winds up in a shelter she'd be dead in a week. nobody's gonna adopt a cat who is around 10-11yrs old who bites the hand that feeds them!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:18 pm

True, the animal shelter here has an 8 year old who got returned after being adopted last week. She actually hissed and tried to bite me when all I wanted to do was cuddle her a bit.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 pm

sometimes the ones who hiss and bite are the ones who need the love the most. just hard to do this time of year...its easier when you can wear a shirt under a sweatshirt..don't really get scratched that way and you can pull the sleeves down and pet through the cuffs.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 pm

She was also growling so it was best to put her back, she meant business. Poor kitty, didn't know I meant no harm, just wanted to love on her. I think she was a feral who isn't very tamed yet.

Last edited by fiffur on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:45 pm

i can't keep my mind on one thing again..been going on for a week or so now...i've been working on the same hat for about that long. i'm trying to make a light weight, soft hat with a slightly bucket type brim.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:43 am

Planning in my head a quickie quilt for the animal shelter's fundraiser in September. I think I have all the materials I need, just need a break in the hot humid weather so I can sit at the sewing machine to make it.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm

wish postage wasn't so high..i'd send them a box like i've done before. but the stuff i can send isn't as much as it costs to send anymore:(
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum