Severe Weather Check-In

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Severe Weather Check-In

Post by BobCat on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:03 pm

I can't even open my back door, there's so much snow drifted up against it. Wesley got called in to work, so he shoveled enough to be able to get his car out. When he'll be home, I don't know. I'll have to go out and at least move enough of it to get the dogs outside. Thank goodness we trained them on pee pads too.

With the winds and the amount of snow, it will be days before it all settles. It's like nothing I've seen before.
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Dallas is having rolling blackouts---it was -1 degree there this morning (according to relatives). I hope everyone has plenty of pet and people food! Adn toilet paper, of coursh!
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

walking to the subway this morning was an adventure, a coating of sleety ice over everything. I didn't fall but I was slipping around like crazy. and on the tstreet corners there were huge ankle deep puddles where the rain and sleet was accumulating and couldn't drain because of the snow banks still covering the sweers. I was gingerly making my way over ssome icy snow into the street and had some people behind me. I told them to move around me. The impatient man did, but the little chinese lady who didn't speak English instead grabbed my arm. Im holding onto the lamppost telling her to let me go and I'm trying to keep from falling.
I t turned to rail later when it warmed up and finally stopped a while ago. Hopefull I'll get home before the streets freeze up again

I just heard from my brother that dallas was also hit. he said it was 10 deg out. haven't heard from alot of my clients and truckers out in the Midewest. I've got to set up some bookings and moves. Hoefilly they Chicago people will be back to work tomorrow

Take care everyone.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 pm

It's pretty much an skating rink here with all the ice. It wouldn't surprise me if there is more ice than snow. I don't know what the temperature is right now, nor do I want to.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:25 pm

It's in the teens right now with single digits for tonight.
It's with ice between me and the feeding station, I should
be able to make it.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:17 pm

16-18 inches worth not counting the snow drifts here. Now it's subzero actual temps and windchills that have things closed here. Still digging out, I haven't seen a storm like this since the one when my mom had her stroke. At least we didn't lose power.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm

i was prepared yesterday to walk into work...esp since when i came upstairs to leave i hear yelling from the back about how p od they were and how they didn't know how to tell me they didn't want to drive ..or didn't want to get the ice off the car or something.. all i know is it made me feel like a pile of what the dogs leave on the back deck. i told them i'm walk..i was prepared to walk. but i wound up getting a ride..i helped breaking the ice off and gave them the ice scraper i'd bought about a month ago to break the ice off the little freezer in my fridge.

when i got out of the car at work i nearly fell under the car from the black ice. i got to the door looking like one of those speed skaters.
the road, other than parts of the street here things were pretty clear..either clear or just sloppy. walking home it was on and off bad.some places had shovelled and put salt/de icer down and some places hadn't done a thing since two storms before. what normally takes me 30-35 minutes to walk home in has been taking me an hour...but its not as bad as its been before. except for the places that don't clear which doesn't make sense since they were doing it a few weeks ago. its winter....i need to get chains for my boots;)
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

streets and sidewalks were very clear this morning, since it rained yesterday all the ice drained off and the sidewalks dried. not too many large slush puddles at the street corners either.
braced for more snow Saturday. they are not sure whether it will be snow and ice, or snow and rain, depends on how warm it gets.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 pm

The ice seems to be one inch thick in most places. A lot of schools will be closed for a fourth straight day tomorrow. There ice is thick enough in the schools parking lots that they have to break it up to make safe for the buses and the kids.
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Streets are pretty clear if you don't look at the fact they're only plowed 1 1/2 cars wide. Intersections are narrower still, and some are icy from car exhaust melting the snow that the plow left. My workspace has a snow mountain at the entrance (there goes my using the car as shelter from the wind) that was as high as I am tall, and rock hard. Nobody wants to clear it and I can't. Snow is piled on the sides higher than my boots so I was standing IN the crosswalk in the middle of the intersection this morning trying not to get run over. No way to reach the button to trigger the light. Maybe if I chisel a seat into the side of that mountain and sit on the job THEN somebody will clear that mountain out? That worked last time they plowed it in that badly.......

Parking lot at home is an obstacle course of snow piles, and the sidewalk is a tiny narrow walking path. Landlord fainted after shoveling about 10 ft of sidewalk Wednesday afternoon.

next week will be a festival of subzero actual temps with more snow.......................oh joy! ***very sarcastic tone***
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm

we still have snow piles on the sidewalks and in the streets in brooklyn. losts of regular parking spaces are unusable because people dumped the snow there when they cleaned the sidewalks, and so parking is at a premium. people are fighting over parking places on the street, especially if they went through all the trouble of digging their cars out. They put garbage cans and work pylons, etc in sthe street to "reserve" the space for themselves, as they figured they went through all the work of digging the space to begin with.

it is sort of sunny out today but still cold so not alot of melting going on.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:27 am

Well we had a foot of snow overnight. It was powder and it's supposed to
get above freezing tomorrow but drop to freezing at night. Still any little bit
will help.
Sue Short
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Got the shock of my life yesterday when I got home: for the first time in the nearly 12 years I've lived there the parking lot was completely plowed clear. Spaces, sidewalks, you name it. My neighbor who's been there for over 20 years said it was the first time since she's been there that the lot was cleared this good!

We have more snow and ice in the forecast this weekend.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I read in the paper that TPTB are talking about the problem of snow removal, not individual sidewalks and streets, but the really big stuff resulting from all that. Huge mountains of snow that they have no room for even in designated snow dumps. They're now saying they might just have to bulldoze it into local lakes and rivers. This is not clean, freshly fallen snow. This is giant clumps of filthy frozen water, nasty road chemicals, captured trash and lord knows what else. What do y'all think about that? I'm horrified by the idea, but I don't live where this is a problem, and I also realize that the buildup this year is unprecedented.
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:20 pm

I may have mentioned my issues with the mail carriers in my neighborhood before. Now, with the snow accumulations so high, they are delivering notes instructing us on just how we should clear the snow to make it easier for them to pull up to our mailboxes in their trucks. They want a swath cut 30' on either side of the box. You have no idea of how hard I'm biting my tongue right now, when I'd really like to tell them what they can do with their swath...and their notes...
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://bluecat1105.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:26 pm

The snow we were expeting Saturday was a no show, had some rain instead, shich has helped with the melt.. 3 days over 40 degrees is helping alot, although it's supposed to go back to the 20's on Wed and Thur.

with regard to dumping the snow, they used to just dump it in the river here, but now they have snow melters, which have been working overtime. One problem with them is they give off carbon monoxide and a few unwary workers were overcome after the first big storm. in dec.
Today, for the first time in weeks, alternate side of the street parking is back in force, which means people have to move their cars that have just been sitting there forever. Soome grumbling , but this will enable the sanitation department to actually get rid of the snow mountains still in the streets .

A macabre note. They have found two dead people in snow buried cars on the streets. At least one was a suicide. I haven't heard anything more on the second
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm

OhMy, and I thought it was bad we had a few people here die of heart attacks shoveling the snow.

So far they've piled the snow up in open fields here as high as they can go. We expect some flooding this spring guaranteed.
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:52 pm

tried to get in here last night to report about the winds but the winds blew thingsdown and i couldn't get on the netfor even 5 minutes!
a big pine tree out back blew down and is taking up most of the back yard. thankfully it didn't hit the house!
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

wow! I knew we were having some wind issues, but not as bad as that. Glad there was no damage to the house
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:31 pm

just letting ya know that there are high wind warnings and flood warnings up now (the last snowflake from today's mutt strip turned into melting snow and flooding rain!). so if something happens and i'm not on the net for a couple days it could be the wind knocked out the net or something.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Our snow was a not-quite show last night, we got only a dusting so far. But we are under flood advisories and still under the winter weather advisory...........so not out of the woods yet.

Seen the latest storm headed our way from the West Coast? They're calling it the Storm of the Century. Shocked
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:42 pm

We haven't gotten the thunderstorms they were predicting but we are getting very high winds, with gusts to 50-60 mph
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Steady light snow since last night, about an inch so far, predicting heavier snow with maybe thunder this afternoon. Hope the majority of this storm goes elsewhere.............
fiffur
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:14 pm

it sounds like we're due for rain and flooding...i don't worry so much about it where we are but it could make the net go off for a while.
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

so far the worst of the rain has held off. It will probably start right when I'm leaving the office.
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum